Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...you have woefully failed in your baby boomer assessment to the point where Agway would NOT buy your excuse laden fertilizer....I AM a baby boomer at age 66 who came from NOTHING.....my now deceased parents had nothing so any inheritance BS is non-sequitur....and I have become modestly successful on my own, STILL work my 50+ hours per week, and enjoy what I do, running a $60+ million dollar company, making our President (15 years younger) megabucks who lets me "do my thing"...and bet your sorry azz I WILL keep going......save your thoughts and do not display your ignorance.....

You proved me wrong by telling me how great you are and how hard your life was. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

You proved me wrong by telling me how great you are and how hard your life was. 

....sorry I'm a long, long way from great...just know my humble position in life is to prod along....shameful, right?...SMH........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

One thing I can promise you, in 30 years the XYZ generation or whatever it's called will say the millennials ruined everything.  The truth is, we live in an imperfect world.  Grow up and deal with it like Baby Boomers and the Greatest Generation before them and one before them did.  

“The world is going to hell in a hand basket” is the refrain of every generation. I pay it no heed. It creates an urgency and excitement that excuses the speaker’s own generation. 

But only the boomers, not the generations before or after, lecture you about how their generation was so amazing. I don’t blame xyz, millennials, or the greatest generation for anything. I don’t particularly think in generations. The Boomers love it though. It’s the narcissistic generation. They sit around regaling you with how great they are as if anyone cares what they think of how great their generation is outside of their psychotherapy shrinks who they pay to listen to them talk about themselves. 

I see no distinction between other generations except the eras through which they travel. 

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sorry I'm a long, long way from great...just know my humble position in life is to prod along....shameful, right?...SMH........

“I’m humble enough to brag about my humility after bragging about my greatness.”

I’d recommend you stop now but most boomers can’t stop when the subject is themselves. Carry on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

CAMPUS REFORM ASKS DEMOCRATS TO NAME JOE BIDEN’S ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

Campus Reform went to the theater where the Democratic debate took place and asked a bunch of Democrats what they would consider Joe Biden’s major accomplishments. “I don’t know of a specific accomplishment of his,” one woman respondent tells Cabot Phillips early on, and it doesn’t get much better from there.

8 minutes ago, snafu said:

Summary of latest polling numbers. Biden stays in a comfortable lead. Warren moves up. Harris down a bit. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

As flawed as Biden is, he’s really  the only one that has a prayer to win a general election for the Dems imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

As flawed as Biden is, he’s really  the only one that has a prayer to win a general election for the Dems imo. 

IMO its Warren. She’s the only one who can respond coherently when attacked. Problem is that she’s planted her flag too far to the left. 

Just now, snafu said:

IMO its Warren. She’s the only one who can respond coherently when attacked. Problem is that she’s planted her flag too far to the left. 

That’s the trouble with most of them, though she has other issues. I believe President Trump will serve a second term, barring some unforeseen Democratic candidate emerging with moderate ideas ( which seems almost certain not to happen). 

10 minutes ago, snafu said:

She can’t win where it matters. Biden might be able to. Whoever wins PA likely wins it all and Biden could win PA. 

But barring a big economic downturn, Trump should win. America rarely votes out incumbents. 

5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

She can’t win where it matters. Biden might be able to. Whoever wins PA likely wins it all and Biden could win PA. 

But barring a big economic downturn, Trump should win. America rarely votes out incumbents. 

You think Biden stating he'd shut down all coal and fracking last night endears him to the people of PA (outside of Philly)?

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That’s the trouble with most of them, though she has other issues. I believe President Trump will serve a second term, barring some unforeseen Democratic candidate emerging with moderate ideas ( which seems almost certain not to happen). 

I agree. If progressives were smart and patient they’d quietly step aside and let Biden take the nomination (though Sanders and Warren won’t let that happen — this is their only chance). If he wins that’s okay for the party.  If he loses, they can claim that the middle-road Dem platform is dead. It would free the far left up to take the mantle going forward from 2020. 

To me, that’s the interesting thing about the Democrats this cycle. Which pole of the party is going to declare primacy in November 2020. 

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

“The world is going to hell in a hand basket” is the refrain of every generation. I pay it no heed. It creates an urgency and excitement that excuses the speaker’s own generation. 

But only the boomers, not the generations before or after, lecture you about how their generation was so amazing. I don’t blame xyz, millennials, or the greatest generation for anything. I don’t particularly think in generations. The Boomers love it though. It’s the narcissistic generation. They sit around regaling you with how great they are as if anyone cares what they think of how great their generation is outside of their psychotherapy shrinks who they pay to listen to them talk about themselves. 

I see no distinction between other generations except the eras through which they travel. 

“I’m humble enough to brag about my humility after bragging about my greatness.”

I’d recommend you stop now but most boomers can’t stop when the subject is themselves. Carry on. 

Your overall take on Boomers is dead on which is surprising because that generation is full of commies.  I'd think they would be your favorite.

Applying the general rule to individuals you know little about isn't really fair.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You think Biden stating he'd shut down all coal and fracking last night endears him to the people of PA (outside of Philly)?

He was just tossing out anything that became coherent in his mind at the time.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

PA was close enough that he could win It. He has deeper ties there than anywhere. And he has a folksy way with people. You may find it inauthentic but it works for many. And will he win the middle of PA? No. But he only needs to win enough of it as well as move the population centers to show up in big numbers. 

My point is more that Warren cannot win PA. Also winning a debate does not win elections. The important thing to do in debates is not to lose them. 

6 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

PA was close enough that he could win It. He has deeper ties there than anywhere.

Biden might pick up a handful of votes around Scranton, but do you really think people Pittsburgh, Erie, Allentown, Altoona, Harrisburg, or the Philly suburbs give two schitts about somebody that moved out of the state in the 1950s?

I've got stronger ties to PA and at least lived there during this millennium.  Maybe the Democrats should nominate me <_<

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Biden might pick up a handful of votes around Scranton, but do you really think people Pittsburgh, Erie, Allentown, Altoona, Harrisburg, or the Philly suburbs give two schitts about somebody that moved out of the state in the 1950s?

I've got stronger ties to PA and at least lived there during this millennium.  Maybe the Democrats should nominate me <_<

Its not because he lived there. His PA ties run deep. Tell me another candidate who has a better shot at PA. Who has more ties in PA politics. Who can be folksy with people. 

The fumbling stumbling Uncle Joe persona goes further than you want to give him credit for. People don’t get moved by Harvard policy wonks and big city elites in central PA. And despite his civility, Mayor Pete ain’t getting a lot of votes there either. But Biden will. 

My analysis is not my support of Biden. Just my political thought. Winning PA is vital to the Dems. I’m not convinced any other candidate gives them a better shot than Biden. Though Obama showed what you can do with a massive turnout in the cities so perhaps a massive city-appeal candidate (yet to emerge) could win it too—but that was against a candidate who didn’t move central PA like Trump. 

2020 goes the way of PA. If Trump wins it, he will win another electoral race. If he loses it, he’s got a hard road to 270. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

22 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Its not because he lived there. His PA ties run deep. Tell me another candidate who has a better shot at PA. Who has more ties in PA politics. Who can be folksy with people. 

The fumbling stumbling Uncle Joe persona goes further than you want to give him credit for. People don’t get moved by Harvard policy wonks and big city elites in central PA. And despite his civility, Mayor Pete ain’t getting a lot of votes there either. But Biden will. 

My analysis is not my support of Biden. Just my political thought. Winning PA is vital to the Dems. I’m not convinced any other candidate gives them a better shot than Biden. Though Obama showed what you can do with a massive turnout in the cities so perhaps a massive city-appeal candidate (yet to emerge) could win it too—but that was against a candidate who didn’t move central PA like Trump. 

2020 goes the way of PA. If Trump wins it, he will win another electoral race. If he loses it, he’s got a hard road to 270. 

Tim Ryan has a better shot at picking up votes in Western PA.  Steve Bullock isn't bat schitt crazy (or at least hasn't gone BSC yet), which plays well in the rust belt.

Biden's "political ties" to PA could haunt him as it paints him as a career politician

Gotta remember that PA isn't a single political culture.  Philly is an East Coast city.  Pittsburgh and Erie are midwest.  Pennsyltucky is, well Pennsyltucky. 

Agree that as goes PA, so goes the Electoral College