Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

D9xKgEuXkAAP62n.jpg..........................That little girl is all of America.

Breaking News?  I might be breaking protocol but can he play RDT?
OK. I'm missing football...

Edited by Uncle Joe

Cocaine Mitch STRIKES AGAIN, this time targeting Senate Dems running in 2020?

Don’t mess with Cocaine Mitch, Dems.

His latest maneuver? The Senate Majority Leader is expected to schedule Senate votes this week that force Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar, Kirsten Gillibrand to stay in D.C. until the last minute before they fly to Miami for the debates:

Working on Wednesday AND Thursday???                       That monster !

cocaine-mitch_new.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why the Dems Will Never Win Back Trump Voters

their cartoonish image of the President’s base dooms them to failure.

by David Catron

Original Article

It’s an article of faith among Democrats that the President’s base consists primarily of white working class voters without college degrees, and that they must be won back in order to beat Trump in 2020. This is why Elizabeth Warren inflicted that cringe-making, “I’m gonna get me a beer,” video on a long-suffering electorate. It is why Joe Biden, who reputedly enjoys a special rapport with blue collar voters, is the frontrunner for his party’s presidential nomination despite his penchant for gaffes and plagiarism. Thus, during this week’s Democratic debates, the candidates will devote considerable effort to courting the “deplorables.”

This will, however, be an exercise in futility because everything they believe about Trump’s base is false. Their view of this large and growing segment of the electorate is distorted by a myth concocted primarily by the media to explain away a deeply uncomfortable reality — that Trump possessed a better understanding of the public mood than did the professional political class. They were unable to abandon their preconceived notions about Trump and his supporters, despite easily accessible contrary data. The belief that his message was resonating only among the working class was debunked by Nate Silver as early as May of 2016

{snip}

This brings us back to the 2020 presidential election. The polls were wrong in 2016 because there was, essentially, a reverse “Bradley effect.” And it probably still skews the polls, even after Trump has been president for well over two years. Trump’s supporters are routinely slandered, in the legacy news media and on social media platforms, as morally repugnant reprobates or just too stupid to understand how to vote in their own best interests. There is no easier way to render a room silent at a social occasion or start an altercation at a family gathering than to praise President Trump or anything he has accomplished — no matter how benign.

In other words, supporting Trump simply isn’t the done thing in polite society. To do so is to risk loss of social status — if not outright ostracism — and open conflict with friends or family. Trump supporters mislead pollsters or simply refuse to answer their questions pursuant to similar psychological and social incentives. All of which leads to a lot of confusion concerning who it is that supports President Trump and precisely why. This, in turn, renders it very difficult for round heel politicians like Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren to pander to “working class” voters they badly need to “win back” to the Democratic fold in the 2020 election cycle.

• Like (+1) 2

Democratic presidential candidates are scaring off Never Trumpers. Big mistake.

USA Today, by Robert Robb

Original Article

Never Trumpers would probably accept creeping or trotting liberalism. But Democratic presidential candidates are pledging liberalism at a full gallop.

Democratic presidential candidates keep raising the stakes, particularly on the economy, making the choice for Never Trump Republicans and independents increasingly difficult. For purposes of this column, let’s define Never Trumpers as people who are center to center right on policy, so there is a lot that Donald Trump has done as president that they like. They nevertheless find his behavior, as president and as a candidate, abhorrent. 

More at the link:

From "The Dubious DNC Debates" by Bill Scher

Presidential campaign debates should be fair. Everybody running for president deserves the chance to make their case to the public on a level platform.

And yet, they can’t be completely fair. Right now, there are 178 Democratic presidential candidates who have filed with the Federal Election Commission. They can’t all be on the same broadcast network soundstage. Someone has to draw the line.

Unfortunately, as we will see in the first presidential primary debates this Wednesday and Thursday, the Democratic National Committee has drawn a ridiculous line.

Two candidates with credible resumes, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock and Rep. Seth Moulton of Massachusetts, won’t be on either debate stage. Meanwhile, two utterly unqualified candidates with no serious chance of becoming president will: Marianne Williamson (pictured), a successful self-help book author, and Andrew Yang, an unsuccessful nonprofit executive.

How is that possible? Because the DNC created new thresholds for inclusion in the first debates scheduled for June and July: reaching 1% in three party-recognized polls and accumulating 65,000 donors. These standards are not just low. They are easier to meet by appealing to the fringe than by career accomplishments alone.

Why did the DNC do this? Because it wanted to avoid charges of favoring “establishment” contenders after suffering accusations of rigging the 2016 primary to help Hillary Clinton dispatch Bernie Sanders. But those charges were always overblown, and now the party has overcorrected in response.

More at the link:

23 minutes ago, Hedge said:

2019-06-24_8-38-49.thumb.png.c1b30b2eddcf38476f1bc61a07aca458.png

"Let's bankrupt the United States because you thought a 'gender studies' degree was a good way to spend $250,000."  Seems smart. Glad you were let into a college with that type of critical thinking. <_<

The entire Democratic Clown Car Committee is out trying to buy votes right now. Most of it is outright dumb ideas, pandering to stupid people who do not realize  these "reparations" will never (could never) happen. But this Bernie-Buy with "other people's money" (what else is new?) is so egregious, I'd think even his cultists should know it ain't gonna happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

(“I know how to take on predators. I took on the big banks and won over 20 billion dollars, I took on for-profit colleges and put them out of business, I took on oil companies who were polluting our environment, I took on transnational criminal organizations who were praying on women and children. I know how to get that job done. ... So, let me tell you, we need somebody on our stage when it comes time for the general election who knows how to recognize a rap sheet when they see it and prosecute the case, so let’s read that rap sheet, shall we?”)

Kamala Harris! 

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/2020-democrats-south-carolina-june-2019/index.html

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

"Let's bankrupt the United States because you thought a 'gender studies' degree was a good way to spend $250,000."  Seems smart. Glad you were let into a college with that type of critical thinking. <_<

The entire Democratic Clown Car Committee is out trying to buy votes right now. Most of it is outright dumb ideas, pandering to stupid people who do not realize  these "reparations" will never (could never) happen. But this Bernie-Buy with "other people's money" (what else is new?) is so egregious, I'd think even his cultists should know it ain't gonna happen.  

Most Americans will sell their vote for under $500. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Bernie proposes paying off the college loan debt of all people presumed to make the most money with money from people that didn't go to college, who presumably will make less money. Go Bernie!

• Like (+1) 1