Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, B-Man said:

ELIZABETH WARREN’S JOE THE PLUMBER MOMENT.

After waiting in line to get his moment with Warren, a voter “vent[ed] frustration that her promise to wipe out student loan debt would not reimburse him for the tuition that he’d already paid,” as the Hill report puts it.

I would put it slightly differently. I would say he wondered if Warren understood that her proposal would make him a chump of the first order.

“My daughter is in school,” the man said, as captured in The Hill’s transcription of the exchange. “I saved all my money just to pay my student loans. Can I have my money back?”

“Of course not,” Warren responded.

“So you want to help those who don’t save any money and the ones that do the right thing get screwed?” he responded.

The Hill notes that the man cited his friend who makes more money than he does and, instead of paying off his loans, the friend bought a car and went on expensive vacations.

“I saved my money,” the man said. “He made more than I did. I worked a double shift, worked extra … so you’re laughing at me.”

“No I’m not,” Warren responded.

“Yes that’s exactly what you’re doing,” the man said. “We did the right thing and we get screwed.”

That is a sentiment that is widely applicable to the Democrats’ policy proposals.

Well, to be fair, the votes of people who didn’t do the right thing are plentiful, and easier to buy.

I figure I’ll be pushing $350k on student debt for my children when all is said and done.  My children had the opportunity to go to most schools, had good grades and worked to help the cause.  We collectively made choices, some of which were heavily influenced by the voting bloc with the deep pockets over the outraged voices of the attending bloc, but which were based on some level of sense once referred to as “common”. 

I give this man credit for his controlled rage, and his refusal to shake the hand of this phony who doesn’t even bother try and hide her disdain and contempt for his asking a pretty reasonable question.  As a member of the class of the educational elites, Warren drank deeply from the well of student debt, just part of the crowd that &$#@ed students over for personal enrichment.  I wonder if she took to the street while lining her pockets, or if she just saddled up knowing that down the road she could pretend she didn’t, knowing that many people who stood to gain from her scheme would back her up regardless. 

One of the most amazing parts to me is that in spite of the cost of education, and in spite of NYs grand giveaway of education for those at certain income levels, I still get solicitation to send more money to help the school(s) out.  It’s simply amazing how these people think.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I figure I’ll be pushing $350k on student debt for my children when all is said and done.  My children had the opportunity to go to most schools, had good grades and worked to help the cause.  We collectively made choices, some of which were heavily influenced by the voting bloc with the deep pockets over the outraged voices of the attending bloc, but which were based on some level of sense once referred to as “common”. 

I give this man credit for his controlled rage, and his refusal to shake the hand of this phony who doesn’t even bother try and hide her disdain and contempt for his asking a pretty reasonable question.  As a member of the class of the educational elites, Warren drank deeply from the well of student debt, just part of the crowd that &$#@ed students over for personal enrichment.  I wonder if she took to the street while lining her pockets, or if she just saddled up knowing that down the road she could pretend she didn’t, knowing that many people who stood to gain from her scheme would back her up regardless. 

One of the most amazing parts to me is that in spite of the cost of education, and in spite of NYs grand giveaway of education for those at certain income levels, I still get solicitation to send more money to help the school(s) out.  It’s simply amazing how these people think.

My family paid for both of my children to graduate undergrad debt free.  We could've let the kids take serious loans but didn't want to saddle them with that debt.  #### Liz Warren and her "#### the responsible parents" bullschiff.

• Like (+1) 5

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

My family paid for both of my children to graduate undergrad debt free.  We could've let the kids take serious loans but didn't want to saddle them with that debt.  #### Liz Warren and her "#### the responsible parents" bullschiff.

I paid off my undergrad loans last year, but still have $75k to go for grad school. As great as it would be for me personally to have that $75k bill disappear, the bottom line is it was my choice to take on the debt, so it’s my responsibility to pay it off, not Joe Taxpayer. My job qualifies me for public service Lon forgiveness after 10 years and I’m about 4 years away from that, but I plan to have it paid off before then.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

...I paid the total education costs for both my kids so they could start their careers debt free.......can I send my application for "Tuition Reparations" directly to Lizzie's teepee?.....

• Like (+1) 3

So my question is after the DNC takes out Bernie, and Warren implodes from unforced errors, and the impeachment trial defense exposes Biden....what then? Who’s left? They aren’t seriously going to put the Mayor of South Bend Indiana up as their new ‘chosen one’, are they? That’ll never fly with the African American community. There must be a Plan B.

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So my question is after the DNC takes out Bernie, and Warren implodes from unforced errors, and the impeachment trial defense exposes Biden....what then? Who’s left? They aren’t seriously going to put the Mayor of South Bend Indiana up as their new ‘chosen one’, are they? That’ll never fly with the African American community. There must be a Plan B.

120203_michael_bloomberg_ap_605.jpg

3 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

I paid off my undergrad loans last year, but still have $75k to go for grad school. As great as it would be for me personally to have that $75k bill disappear, the bottom line is it was my choice to take on the debt, so it’s my responsibility to pay it off, not Joe Taxpayer. My job qualifies me for public service Lon forgiveness after 10 years and I’m about 4 years away from that, but I plan to have it paid off before then.

Good for you.  That loan forgiveness ***** really pisses me off. Why should I subsidize your education and your children’s education. 

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hillary.
?

46 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good for you.  That loan forgiveness ***** really pisses me off. Why should I subsidize your education and your children’s education. 

Hillary.
?

Yep.  It would take a lot to convince me that Hillary crossed the ocean other than to stay out of the line of fire and make a shorter jump from a country that has no FBI agents waiting to detain her to a country with no extradition treaty.  Bill has always wanted a villa in a tropical country and is on good terms with the government of Thailand.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You may be right, but I find it hard to believe the DNC is going to allow an Uber rich guy to buy the primary and then revert to arguing to get big money out of politics. It’s gonna be interesting!

...caveat emptor.........he'll outlaw slurpees and biggie fries..............

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SPOILER: YES, YES SHE IS. 

CBS Anchor to Warren: Are You Saying ‘Tough Luck’ to People Who Saved for College? 

Under leftism, people who do the right thing are always suckers.

...SMH...yet ANOTHER Massachusetts gem to litter the political landscape.......the "chowdah is rancid"..............

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SPOILER: YES, YES SHE IS. 

CBS Anchor to Warren: Are You Saying ‘Tough Luck’ to People Who Saved for College? 

Under leftism, people who do the right thing are always suckers.

She is right. You have to start somewhere. My issue is with why start at all?  Why is no one asking why is it so important to forgive student debt?  So people will have more disposable income to bolster the economy?  If so fair enough. But I’d rather they go after the “university industrial complex”. Oh wait. That would hurt her liberal brethren. Never mind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1