Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

20 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

A quick search shows several different stages where a fetus is considered to feel pain. The anti-abortion groups seem to claim there's pain at 8 weeks while the abortion enthusiasts claim it's up to 28 weeks. Others think it's about 20 weeks. The example used by Dr. Levatino was 2nd trimester which 20 weeks would fall right in the middle of that. Twenty weeks is also considered about the earliest a fetus could be viable outside the womb. Nothing in his testimony could be refuted with certainty. So there.

I posted that here in response to a post by B-Man on the previous page that you responded to also. I should have quoted that in posting the Dr.'s testimony.

All based on a misunderstanding of "pain" vs. "nocioception."

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up trying to keep the thread on topic

and I also will listen to Dr. Levatino on this particular subject over our resident expert on all things

Dr. Anthony Levatino is a board certified obstetrician-gynecologist with 40 years of medical experience. He is a physician and lawyer, and taught as associate professor of OB-GYN at Albany Medical Center, where he also served as the Medical Student Director and Residency Program Director. In the early part of his career, Dr. Levatino performed over 1,200 abortions in the first and second trimesters. Dr. Levatino has practiced obstetrics and gynecology in Florida, New York, and currently practices in New Mexico.

Edited by B-Man

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I give up trying to keep the thread on topic

and I also will listen to Dr. Levatino on this particular subject over our resident expert on all things

Dr. Anthony Levatino is a board certified obstetrician-gynecologist with 40 years of medical experience. He is a physician and lawyer, and taught as associate professor of OB-GYN at Albany Medical Center, where he also served as the Medical Student Director and Residency Program Director. In the early part of his career, Dr. Levatino performed over 1,200 abortions in the first and second trimesters. Dr. Levatino has practiced obstetrics and gynecology in Florida, New York, and currently practices in New Mexico.

He's calling a reaction to stimulus "pain" with no evidence.  You'll listen to him because he reinforces your preconceived notions.  That's all.  He's still wrong.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

He's calling a reaction to stimulus "pain" with no evidence.  You'll listen to him because he reinforces your preconceived notions.  That's all.  He's still wrong.

Thomas, I will defer to you and your expertise at preconceived notions .............................

D7B_AMlXsAAwgGD.jpg

I guess the  democrat Boycott Fox movement doesn't match the need for exposure...................?

19 minutes ago, B-Man said:

OF COURSE SHE DOES AND OF COURSE IT IS: 

Kamala Harris Has a Plan to Close the ‘Gender Pay Gap’—and It’s Completely Unworkable.

How long will de Blasio drag out his presidential farce?

Original Article

he wants to build a warchest for future campaigns and other outlets

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, B-Man said:

What a coincidence, so do I! It is called stop getting Gender Studies degrees and get a STEM degree instead! 

This old trope is ridiculous. If women were paid 20% less than men at the same job, no publicly held corporate would hire a man. The stockholders would revolt as an easy way to save 20% off the bottom line would be to hire only women.

There are plenty of studies that show male/female wage scales are the same (or skew slightly higher toward women) within a field; simply look at nursing, medical doctors, civil engineering,  etc to see that women with the same experience and same degree, make the same amount. 

Now if the discussion is why do women disproportionately put their careers on hold and take over childcare, well that is a different conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What a coincidence, so do I! It is called stop getting Gender Studies degrees and get a STEM degree instead! 

This old trope is ridiculous. If women were paid 20% less than men at the same job, no publicly held corporate would hire a man. The stockholders would revolt as an easy way to save 20% off the bottom line would be to hire only women.

There are plenty of studies that show male/female wage scales are the same (or skew slightly higher toward women) within a field; simply look at nursing, medical doctors, civil engineering,  etc to see that women with the same experience and same degree, make the same amount. 

Now if the discussion is why do women disproportionately put their careers on hold and take over childcare, well that is a different conversation.

One thing about this is sometimes mentioned but not often.  I found out about it when I got a job offer and watched a few videos about salary negotiation on youtube.  Seems women don't negotiate for salary near as often as men.  If you start with less because you didn't negotiate a good deal, you'll be stuck with less for the whole time you are that company.

Should be an easy fix.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

One thing about this is sometimes mentioned but not often.  I found out about it when I got a job offer and watched a few videos about salary negotiation on youtube.  Seems women don't negotiate for salary near as often as men.  If you start with less because you didn't negotiate a good deal, you'll be stuck with less for the whole time you are that company.

Should be an easy fix.

and then your only raise will come from exceptional work or first finding another offer and they want to retain your services

I get the sense that Kim doesn't care for Joe Biden. I am sure it is because he'll be lots tougher on North Korea, so they fear Creepy Uncle Joe. <_<

North Korean Media Lashes Out at ‘Reckless, Senseless’ Biden

As the 2020 U.S. presidential race heats up, North Korea’s official KCNA news agency has jumped into the fray, calling aspiring Democratic contender Joe Biden a "snob bereft of elementary quality as human being".

"He is self-praising himself as being the most popular presidential candidate. This is enough to make a cat laugh," the agency writes in a commentary piece that also denigrates Biden for his university grades and for falling asleep at a speech by President Barack Obama in 2011.

KCNA also called the former vice president a "fool of low IQ" and said he "had the temerity to insult the supreme leadership" of North Korea at a recent campaign event.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and then your only raise will come from exceptional work or first finding another offer and they want to retain your services

My corporate experience tells me that probably won't even do that much for you.  All raises are based on a percentage of your salary.  Even when you get promoted to a higher level they'll just bump you up like 4%.  You may get a bonus now and then but nothing to significantly change your income.

I always now tell young people they need to negotiate the best deal they can because all future raises will depend on that.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

My corporate experience tells me that probably won't even do that much for you.  All raises are based on a percentage of your salary.  Even when you get promoted to a higher level they'll just bump you up like 4%.  You may get a bonus now and then but nothing to significantly change your income.

I always now tell young people they need to negotiate the best deal they can because all future raises will depend on that.

you have no pull on salary for your first job

you cannot contribute:

1)  capital to invest in the company

2)  a book of business you are bringing

3)  the experience to do the things well that nobody else wants to do

just relax and work hard and learn and build up the other 3 things for later on...

• Like (+1) 1