Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

23 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thank you.

And I meant no disrespect about other's professions, but my integrity and ability in my own was attacked.

And for the record, I haven't had a summer off in 15 years of teacher.  I worked Summer School for my first 14 summers. Living in Hawai'i is expensive and even though teacher salary numbers might look high to someone on the mainland, they aren't when you understand cost of living out here. 

This is going to be the first Summer I'll finally not be working Summer School because my wife and I are a little more financially comfortable.  But we get 2 months, not 3.

I did absolutely nothing of the sort. Yet you felt the need to disrespect me, waste my time, and now actively avoid me simply for engaging in a proper discussion - which you claimed this forum was lacking. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, despite my instincts which I laid out in a previous post, but you proved to just be disrespectful, disingenuous, spineless, and quite frankly pathetic.

Now you're probably going to say it wasn't directed at me, but I was the only person actually having the discussion with you.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thank you.

And I meant no disrespect about other's professions, but my integrity and ability in my own was attacked.

And for the record, I haven't had a summer off in 15 years of teacher.  I worked Summer School for my first 14 summers. Living in Hawai'i is expensive and even though teacher salary numbers might look high to someone on the mainland, they aren't when you understand cost of living out here. 

This is going to be the first Summer I'll finally not be working Summer School because my wife and I are a little more financially comfortable.  But we get 2 months, not 3.

Hawaii! How cool is that?

Mahalo 

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I did absolutely nothing of the sort. Yet you felt the need to disrespect me, waste my time, and now actively avoid me simply for engaging in a proper discussion - which you claimed this forum was lacking. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, despite my instincts which I laid out in a previous post, but you proved to just be disrespectful, disingenuous, spineless, and quite frankly pathetic.

Now you're probably going to say it wasn't directed at me, but I was the only person actually having the discussion with you.

I wasn't directing that at you, honestly.

I named the posters I directed it at.

Look, I don't get the point. I actually have always liked and respected you as a poster. Mosying on in here is like when I watch Fox News on occasion just to see what they're saying. I see it and read it and know you guys believe what you believe wholeheartedly.

And I often feel the opposite.

I feel strongly about Climate Change, In part because I live in Paradise and spend so much time in the ocean that it disgusts me when I see a plastic water bottle floating past me that I have to paddle over to and roll up in my rashguard. Or like yesterday a baseball hat some idiot wore into the water thinking he wouldn't lose it that was just floating on by me on its lonesome that I was forced to hold onto for the rest of my session. It upsets me as I surf out at Sunset Beach or Makaha to see so much coastal erosion that some houses at sunset are just a foot or 2 from falling into the sea. The last couple years are the first I'm hearing and seeing King Tides, which are extra high tides... heights a foot or more than our typical highest tide. I get annoyed when I smell the obvious coconut scent of sunscreen that isn't reef safe because even in my 15 years living here I dive and have seen the change in the reefs. 

You're clearly pretty convinced social inequality and climate change are unrelated, so I'd guess more links would just be crap you've already seen anyway, like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.un.org/esa/desa/papers/2017/wp152_2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwic8uDWptvhAhVLIzQIHelbBo8QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3wdF4cw0OylMCKioe_BSb_

or something like NASA's own statement that climate change and social inequality are connected:

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/chapter/chapter-1-pdf/

Ethical considerations, and the principle of equity in particular, are central to this report, recognizing that many of the impacts of warming up to and beyond 1.5°C, and some potential impacts of mitigation actions required to limit warming to 1.5°C, fall disproportionately on the poor and vulnerable (high confidence). Equity has procedural and distributive dimensions and requires fairness in burden sharing both between generations and between and within nations. In framing the objective of holding the increase in the global average temperature rise to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels, and to pursue efforts to limit warming to 1.5°C, the Paris Agreement associates the principle of equity with the broader goals of poverty eradication and sustainable development, recognising that effective responses to climate change require a global collective effort that may be guided by the 2015 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. {1.1.1}

And then what?

To me this isn't a discourse thing, it just is... it's completely logical that social inequality and climate change are inextricably linked because, well, very simply... money talks. And who has disproportionately the most wealth and opportunity for wealth in our society? White men. Thus logically race becomes a big part of the conversation. And you brought up gender, so you could say gender, too.

It seems pretty clear people here have their own steadfast views, though. 

So I ask again... what did I just accomplish?

There's a reason the Stadium Wall is full of Bills fans, not Patriots fans mixed in there. Those guys would be ridiculed endlessly. Seems the same here. This is pretty clearly a very conservative message board. We liberals would just be here for your amusement at best and derision at worst.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

7 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Press the ignore button

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Aloha braddah!

Much Mahalos!

My buddy just moved his family to Maui as he slides towards retirement and being from California we’re regular visitors to Oahu. Where are you at? Will I see you wearing your Bills gear as I run along the Canal each morning in early July?

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I wasn't directing that at you, honestly.

I named the posters I directed it at.

Look, I don't get the point. I actually have always liked and respected you as a poster. Mosying on in here is like when I watch Fox News on occasion just to see what they're saying. I see it and read it and know you guys believe what you believe wholeheartedly.

I felt the same until yesterday, which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to break up your self described circle jerk. But you decided the best course of action was to squander that opportunity with childish antics.

And I often feel the opposite.

I feel strongly about Climate Change, In part because I live in Paradise and spend so much time in the ocean that it disgusts me when I see a plastic water bottle floating past me that I have to paddle over to and roll up in my rashguard. Or like yesterday a baseball hat some idiot wore into the water thinking he wouldn't lose it that was just floating on by me on its lonesome that I was forced to hold onto for the rest of my session. It upsets me as I surf out at Sunset Beach or Makaha to see so much coastal erosion that some houses at sunset are just a foot or 2 from falling into the sea. The last couple years are the first I'm hearing and seeing King Tides, which are extra high tides... heights a foot or more than our typical highest tide. I get annoyed when I smell the obvious coconut scent of sunscreen that isn't reef safe because even in my 15 years living here I dive and have seen the change in the reefs.

So you're saying that everyone in your area is effected by climate change? Not just certain demographics? Interesting. I dated a girl a couple years ago who grew up in Hawaii. The beach that she, her brother, her mother, and her father grew up on was gone by the time we met. She's a relatively wealthy white catholic girl, but the climate change forgot to spare her.

You're clearly pretty convinced social inequality and climate change are unrelated, so I'd guess more links would just be crap you've already seen anyway, like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.un.org/esa/desa/papers/2017/wp152_2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwic8uDWptvhAhVLIzQIHelbBo8QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3wdF4cw0OylMCKioe_BSb_

You've done absolutely nothing worth me considering a change in my stance. Quite the opposite, in fact, you completely failed to make a single comprehensive point or address any of the points I raised with your previous google vomit, no context links.

or something like NASA's own statement that climate change and social inequality are connected:

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/chapter/chapter-1-pdf/

Ethical considerations, and the principle of equity in particular, are central to this report, recognizing that many of the impacts of warming up to and beyond 1.5°C, and some potential impacts of mitigation actions required to limit warming to 1.5°C, fall disproportionately on the poor and vulnerable (high confidence). Equity has procedural and distributive dimensions and requires fairness in burden sharing both between generations and between and within nations. In framing the objective of holding the increase in the global average temperature rise to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels, and to pursue efforts to limit warming to 1.5°C, the Paris Agreement associates the principle of equity with the broader goals of poverty eradication and sustainable development, recognising that effective responses to climate change require a global collective effort that may be guided by the 2015 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. {1.1.1}

Again, this speaks to economics. As I stated previously, there are points to consider on both sides of that discussion (that you are also seemingly unwilling to have). This says absolutely nothing about race or gender.

And then what?

To me this isn't a discourse thing, it just is... it's completely logical that social inequality and climate change are inextricably linked because, well, very simply... money talks. And who has disproportionately the most wealth and opportunity for wealth in our society? White men. Thus logically race becomes a big part of the conversation. And you brought up gender, so you could say gender, too.

This statement shows ingrained sexist and racist thought patterns, and borders on white supremacy. You honestly believe that the reason anyone has wealth, or lacks it, is due to the color of their skin? Not study or spending habits? Not work ethic or dedication to their craft? Not the drive and initiative to turn a passion into a commodity? You'd rather just look at a demographic breakdown and ignore all context. You'd like to ignore that Asian households actually have the highest net worth in America, not white households. I brought up gender because the context of the entire discussion started with the Green New Deal language, which you said you read. Nearly everything about the gender gap has been thoroughly debunked, but we could pivot there if you want.

I used to think that I struggled dating because I lost the majority of my hair by the time I turned 21. Then I realized that, while it was easy to blame that - especially since it was out of my control, the reality was that I wasn't going to the gym or investing in music as much as I used to. I wasn't taking great care of myself, I was eating poorly. My free time habits resembled a depressive cycle of anti-social issues. So I actively worked to change that. It can be difficult to accept that individuals have as much control as they do and be introspective, but the truth almost always lies there - as opposed to surface level. There definitely circumstances that effect everyone differently, but circumstances are very rarely life defining.

Also, you say this just isn't a discourse thing. You started your post by saying how much climate change means to you, but when someone is willing to discuss it with you it just isn't worth it? How much does it actually mean to you then?

It seems pretty clear people here have their own steadfast views, though. 

So I ask again... what did I just accomplish?

This is a highly self-fulfilling way of thinking. You made a statement, I challenged it, and then you deflected, threw spaghetti at the wall, and made no points worth considering whatsoever. I sorted through the spaghetti and expressed the concerning factors, and you addressed none of those concerns - seemingly just accepting that you context-less backup is fatally flawed. I can certainly see you you would perceive everyone to be entrenched in their stance when you aren't even willing to put forth a compelling point for their consideration.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There's a reason the Stadium Wall is full of Bills fans, not Patriots fans mixed in there. Those guys would be ridiculed endlessly. Seems the same here. This is pretty clearly a very conservative message board. We liberals would just be here for your amusement at best and derision at worst.

Contesting a statement and asking you to back it up is not ridicule, plain and simple. Your actions following that were absolutely worthy of ridicule, however.

Go Bills! Tyrod ended the drought.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This statement shows ingrained sexist and racist thought patterns, and borders on white supremacy. You honestly believe that the reason anyone has wealth, or lacks it, is due to the color of their skin? Not study or spending habits? Not work ethic or dedication to their craft? Not the drive and initiative to turn a passion into a commodity? You'd rather just look at a demographic breakdown and ignore all context. You'd like to ignore that Asian households actually have the highest net worth in America, not white households. I brought up gender because the context of the entire discussion started with the Green New Deal language, which you said you read. Nearly everything about the gender gap has been thoroughly debunked, but we could pivot there if you want.

The economic rise of East and South Asian immigrants in the US should blow a massive hole in the "America is Racist" theory.   But, #Orangmanbad, #Whitesupremacy, or hashtagsomething.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay bro...  whatever you say...

Guess my 2 students who just told me they got into Harvard got an utterly crappy education at my school, which is a public school.

You're right, though.  Take your kids out of public school and homeschool them.  They don't need real friends or social skills, anyway.

The public school system needs fixing, that's for sure... not the kinda fixing DeVos is doing, though. 

First, your comment about friends or social skills says all I need to know about how very little you know about homeschooling. They don't spend every day home, are tied to a curriculum and attend classes with other kids whose parents homeschool. There is plenty of social interaction, not just at the classes they attend, but social events like dances or movie nights or bowling nights, etc.

So maybe understand what homeschooling is before you give us the textbook public school teacher I-get-paid-to-have-asses-in-seats complaint.

More importantly, they're not tied to a teacher and a curriculum that is meant to educate the lowest common denominator, and since he can work at his pace instead of the pace dictated by the three kids who should have stayed back a grade, he can advance his education better and faster than a public teacher could ever hope to accomplish. My eight grade son goes into high school next year with 10th-grade science and 11th-grade math. They're taught to be self-sufficient in their study time and assignments.

But hey...congratulations on helping two whole children attend Harvard. Quite the accomplishment. Did they tell the college they were from Kenya to get in or did they just share their recipe for Pow Wow Chow?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

But hey...congratulations on helping two whole children attend Harvard. Quite the accomplishment. Did they tell the college they were from Kenya to get in or did they just share their recipe for Pow Wow Chow?

Crew team?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

There's a reason homeschooling is such a huge part of our country's educational fabric. Americans no longer feel guilty when they don't equate a soldier with a teacher. 

There was a time.

Not anymore.

If you have a school age child, you owe it to yourself to do WHATEVER you can to pull them from the public education system and either homeschool them or get them into a private school where you are directly involved with the curriculum. 

Or...let someone like @transplantbillsfan educate them and watch the growth of another mindless snowflake who doesn't understand why everything isn't free.

I've been experiencing this first hand lately and up to now I was firmly in the public school mindset, because I thought that the socializing aspect of a public school was going to be very important to my son's development.   My view is clearly flavored by both me and wife going to public schools.

What I'm now realizing by middle school age is that all the criticism of public school instruction is spot on, and the public school education is not what it used to be.  It's clear that the new way is to keep the assembly line going without regard to actual learning.  I see the teachers' focus is only on students who are interested in learning, wit the rest getting the superficial attention.   

Realistically, how many kids in 6-8th grades are interested in school, even if they have the potential?  Yet the system lets the teachers check out, because they fulfill their roles in assigning the classwork and then grading it.  The biggest part that's missing is the consistency in riding the kids in school and in the home.  There's no way that I could get away with being a slacker on homework that my son gets away with. 

Technology actually doesn't help and makes it worse.  The work is assigned in Classroom, and all the kids have to do is click Submit and they're done.  So other than a parent sitting down and going over every single assignment to make sure it's correct, there's no reinforcement from the school to make sure that the work is done properly.   That reinforcement was done in school back in the day.  Not any longer.  At first I thought it was a symptom with my son, but I hear the same story from every 7th grade dad.   I also see it when we go to the school events.   Teachers are mostly focused on the 5 % of the "oddballs" who like school in the 7th grade, and the rest are filler to pass along.  In a sense, the attitudes of instruction in 7th grade are the same as they are in college.  

So yeah, you bet that I'm considering moving to a parochial school, where teaching is still old school.

4 minutes ago, GG said:

I've been experiencing this first hand lately and up to now I was firmly in the public school mindset, because I thought that the socializing aspect of a public school was going to be very important to my son's development.   My view is clearly flavored by both me and wife going to public schools.

What I'm now realizing by middle school age is that all the criticism of public school instruction is spot on, and the public school education is not what it used to be.  It's clear that the new way is to keep the assembly line going without regard to actual learning.  I see the teachers' focus is only on students who are interested in learning, wit the rest getting the superficial attention.   

Realistically, how many kids in 6-8th grades are interested in school, even if they have the potential?  Yet the system lets the teachers check out, because they fulfill their roles in assigning the classwork and then grading it.  The biggest part that's missing is the consistency in riding the kids in school and in the home.  There's no way that I could get away with being a slacker on homework that my son gets away with. 

Technology actually doesn't help and makes it worse.  The work is assigned in Classroom, and all the kids have to do is click Submit and they're done.  So other than a parent sitting down and going over every single assignment to make sure it's correct, there's no reinforcement from the school to make sure that the work is done properly.   That reinforcement was done in school back in the day.  Not any longer.  At first I thought it was a symptom with my son, but I hear the same story from every 7th grade dad.   I also see it when we go to the school events.   Teachers are mostly focused on the 5 % of the "oddballs" who like school in the 7th grade, and the rest are filler to pass along.  In a sense, the attitudes of instruction in 7th grade are the same as they are in college.  

So yeah, you bet that I'm considering moving to a parochial school, where teaching is still old school.

My wife dragged me kicking and screaming into homeschooling. I was a solid D student and my wife holds a GED. We had no business trying to teach my son.

But he was not doing well in school, and one of the teachers suggested she felt the problem was boredom because the pace was too slow. Naturally, as a parent, you immediately think "Yes, my son is smarter than everyone else," but we paid a bunch of cash for an aptitude/IQ test, and he tested off the charts. They recommended advancing him in a number of classes, and ultimately homeschooling through the Biola University PSP program became one of the best moves we ever made.

You know it's working because CA is going after homeschooling guns blazing. You have crackpots who 'claim' homeschooling, but end up chaining their kids in a basement or driving them off a cliff (remember those stories?) so CA is pushing so that every house designated for homeschooling is subject to random Fire Marshal inspections of your house. Any day. Any time. They can enter your home "just to be safe." Naturally, this scares some parents.

CA teachers unions rule the schools.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

...so CA is pushing so that every house designated for homeschooling is subject to random Fire Marshal inspections of your house. Any day. Any time. They can enter your home "just to be safe." Naturally, this scares some parents.

Wait until they go the route of "banning guns in the homes of home-schooled kids, because school shootings and schools are gun-free zones and we're-doing-it-for-the-children, honestly!"

Except you're getting out, you coward...

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

—————

rhe economy is doing very very well for Trump, deep down everyone knows that’s the most important issue to voters

Hillary 2020:   “It’s NOT the economy, stupid.”

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

A strong economy is so cis-patriarchal.  How can we celebrate an economy that's leaving behind our quad-gendered balding Hispano-Mongol minority!

38 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

A strong economy is so cis-patriarchal.  How can we celebrate an economy that's leaving behind our quad-gendered balding Hispano-Mongol minority!

A strong economy is racist. It forces people - especially minorities - away from receiving welfare benefits, thus requiring them to subsist without the aid of the government. It's cruel, racist, bigoted, immoral, and unethical.

#IMPEACH

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

they can't win because the economy is clearly doing very well, and even if you want to give all the credit to Obama you are admitting the economy is doing very well under Trump