Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Y'know, if you're going to hang out on a message board, the least you can do is show even the simplest understanding that blanket statements ("he did a lot of good things...") may require some supporting data.

The laziest of posters will make such statements, and then respond with "look it up yourself," and that's fine, if you're 12. But if you're going to repeatedly explain  you participate here in search of knowledge and sharing thoughts, but are too embarrassingly lazy to support  a basic statement, then head over to DailyKos where that is the norm.

If he did a lot of good things, naming 5 should be like listing ingredients for chicken soup.

Try harder.

It's a pointless, adversarial question that serves no purpose. 

I'm not here to play games.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Google is your friend.

As a matter of fact, name 5 bad things he did to Newark WITHOUT using google.

I don't play games.

You get to tell people to look it up when they raise a question they could easily look up the facts on.

This is an opinion you've posted. You've been called to defend it. Either defend it, or tuck your tail, but no one can look up facts on your opinion you dumbass.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's a pointless, adversarial question that serves no purpose. 

I'm not here to play games.

As opposed to, say, claiming Booker did a lot of good things but being unable to name any of them?

We know you're not here to play games because you're even too lazy to answer a simple question.

7 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

As opposed to, say, claiming Booker did a lot of good things but being unable to name any of them?

We know you're not here to play games because you're even too lazy to answer a simple question.

"I shouldn't have to defend my opinion!! How dare you!!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Google is your friend.

As a matter of fact, name 5 bad things he did to Newark WITHOUT using google.

I don't play games.

Did he ever actually live in Newark? That's subject of some argumentation.

He did cut the Police force by 13 percent to help balance the city's budget. 

Of course, homicides and violent crime spiked - but "WHO CARES?" It's only Newark, NJ. 

He was the first Mayor of Newark in 45 years to not leave City Hall under indictment. :golf clap:

Newark's child poverty rate spiked 32% under Spartacus' rule, yes and all the while the unemployment rate was double the national average. :bravo: Mr. Spartacus.

Oh, he can speechify. He gave over a hundred speeches all over the country and collected over a million dollars for his oratory. To he "credit" he did give much of it to charities.

While he was Hizzhonor The Mayor, he continued to get annual payments from the law firm (Trenk, DiPasquale, Webster) he left when he became Newark Royalty. Of course that firm garnered over $2million from Newark's Housing Authority, a wastewater agency, and the Watershed Conservation Development Corporation. 

But he's seen as in the words of Uncle Joe Biden when describing B. O., "he was articulate and bright, and clean..." 

Not only that, but Cory was friends with Oprah and helped get kittens out of trees and saved people from burning houses. The list goes on and on and on... 

36 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Did he ever actually live in Newark? That's subject of some argumentation.

He did cut the Police force by 13 percent to help balance the city's budget. 

Of course, homicides and violent crime spiked - but "WHO CARES?" It's only Newark, NJ. 

He was the first Mayor of Newark in 45 years to not leave City Hall under indictment. :golf clap:

Newark's child poverty rate spiked 32% under Spartacus' rule, yes and all the while the unemployment rate was double the national average. :bravo: Mr. Spartacus.

Oh, he can speechify. He gave over a hundred speeches all over the country and collected over a million dollars for his oratory. To he "credit" he did give much of it to charities.

While he was Hizzhonor The Mayor, he continued to get annual payments from the law firm (Trenk, DiPasquale, Webster) he left when he became Newark Royalty. Of course that firm garnered over $2million from Newark's Housing Authority, a wastewater agency, and the Watershed Conservation Development Corporation. 

But he's seen as in the words of Uncle Joe Biden when describing B. O., "he was articulate and bright, and clean..." 

Not only that, but Cory was friends with Oprah and helped get kittens out of trees and saved people from burning houses. The list goes on and on and on... 

This is a post I can respect.

I think when you talk about a city like Newark, ANY improvement should be lauded. It's admittedly difficult to pinpoint major initiatives that lead to Newark becoming some kind of utopia.

There was the well publicized 100 million dollar investment into education funded by Zuckerberg with the "Foundation for Newark's Future." It lead to improvements in english, but not math. Zuckerberg has publicly lamented the effort, but it was worth a shot. He's also a proponent of school choice and actually worked with Betsy Devos if I remember correctly. I tend to respect pols willing to go against the prevailing winds in their own party.

There's the prisoner re-entry program "Newark Now" that helped thousands of ex-offenders reintegrate into society. What's the alternative? Far too many felons can't gain employment and the result is recidivism which could affect YOUR family. 

The city's property taxes decreased 13% due to the budget you referenced. Two new hotels were built in downtown Newark for the first time in 40 years! That's just sad actually.

For the first time since the 1960's, the population of Newark actually INCREASED during his run as mayor. 

Look, Newark is a disgusting place so it's only fair to judge his mayoral tenure on a curve. I tend to think it was positive.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think when you talk about a city like Newark, ANY improvement should be lauded. It's admittedly difficult to pinpoint major initiatives that lead to Newark becoming some kind of utopia.

There was the well publicized 100 million dollar investment into education funded by Zuckerberg with the "Foundation for Newark's Future." It lead to improvements in english, but not math. Zuckerberg has publicly lamented the effort, but it was worth a shot. He's also a proponent of school choice and actually worked with Betsy Devos if I remember correctly. I tend to respect pols willing to go against the prevailing winds in their own party.

There's the prisoner re-entry program "Newark Now" that helped thousands of ex-offenders reintegrate into society. What's the alternative? Far too many felons can't gain employment and the result is recidivism which could affect YOUR family. 

The city's property taxes decreased 13% due to the budget you referenced. Two new hotels were built in downtown Newark for the first time in 40 years! That's just sad actually.

For the first time since the 1960's, the population of Newark actually INCREASED during his run as mayor. 

Look, Newark is a disgusting place so it's only fair to judge his mayoral tenure on a curve. I tend to think it was positive.

I thought you were above actually having to explain your premise?

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

These are slowing down now. Too bad, but this week was definitely good for a few laughs, and to remove a "top contender" in the Democratic 2020 Presidential election race.

liz-1.jpg

oh my... :lol:

On 10/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, LSHMEAB said:

The problem with fixing schools in low income urban areas is that for the most part the schools don't need fixing.  It's the student body that arrives at school from a home  environment of low educational expectations (including students planning to drop out years before they are of "dropout age") that needs fixing.  They use the same textbooks in suburban schools that they do in urban schools. 

7 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

The problem with fixing schools in low income urban areas is that for the most part the schools don't need fixing.  It's the student body that arrives at school from a home  environment of low educational expectations (including students planning to drop out years before they are of "dropout age") that needs fixing.  They use the same textbooks in suburban schools that they do in urban schools. 

I don't entirely buy that argument, although it has some merit. 

Have you been to schools in low income urban areas? The dilapidation alone make it a less than ideal situation for education.

I don't blame kids for not wanting to show up.

They could at the very least invest in the infrastructure. Maybe they'd be crap again in 10 years, but a just society makes the effort.

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Have you been to schools in low income urban areas? The dilapidation alone make it a less than ideal situation for education.

The problem with "not wanting to show up" is that many would be students in those areas come from a culture which not only doesn't place a premium on education, but in many cases actually lionizes ignorance, taking open pride in what they don't know.

There is no amount of glitter and gold on a school house which can replace parents active and involved in a child's education.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think you'll find schools in such poor condition kids can't learn well.  I have close friends who are teachers in low income Chicago areas.  The stories they tell are incredible in terms of the total lack of effort and respect shown to teachers by students in these areas.  There are stories every week about this.  We're talking brutal acts of teacher disrespect and near zero effort on the part of many of the students. Where the schools get some share of the blame IMO is due to district-wide policies that won't allow teachers and administrators to discipline the kids or require that homework is done or give them failing grades.  They simply move the kids along from year to year and allow them to behave horribly and rarely with discipline.