PFF: Matt Milano Named a Secret Superstar for Week 5 - Buffalo Rumblings All-22 Analysis Added

53 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The levels of stratification with talent at linebacker are bigger than you think. But I do agree that coaching and putting players in a position to maximize their skill sets are huge component to getting productive levels of talent out of players. So much of coaching is understanding what players do and don't do well and putting them in positions to hide their weaknesses and maximize their strengths. 

The Pats are always getting the most out of role players and players who weren't able to be successful on other teams. That's a huge component of their success. 

You may be correct about the stratification.   I doubt it.  There is no effective grading system for evaluating raw talent of players, but I know that if the talent levels follow conventional statistical patterns, the difference between the 50th and 51st outside linebackers is relatively small.  

Regardless, your second and third sentences are what I was getting at.  We've watched the Pats do it year after year.   No-name guys doing adequate to good jobs and occasionally making big players.   Bill B asks them to do almost everything they're capable of, but not more.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If you know me you know what's coming:

Coaching trumps talent.  With the exception of the 10 or 20 best linebackers, there isn't a huge difference in talent among linebackers.   

What does make a difference is scheme and absolute dedication of the player to learning and executing.  THAT'S why Milano is succeeding, not because he's some previously undiscovered superstar.  

Agreed. 

The Bills have some really EXCELLENT teachers on the defensive side of the ball. 

Bob Babich with the linebackers and his son Bobby Babich with the secondary have been doing some amazing work teaching fundamentals and getting their position groups to play fast. 

Recently, an opposing coach was asked whether he saw more of McDermott or more of Leslie Frazier in the Bills defense. He replied that the defense seems to feature the schemes and tendencies of McDermott, but the emphasis on fundamentals of Leslie Frazier. This seems to be an outstanding combination.

Additionally, the Bills defensive scheme is simple enough that their players are able to play fast and not overthink things, but well-disguised and varied enough that the opposition has a hard time with it. This ALSO seems to be an outstanding combination.

Time will tell what this staff is able to do with the offense, but color me highly impressed with their work on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

Sincerely,

Ray Sheppard

Many... no just a few idiots

5th rounder!!

This is why we should keep all 10 picks this year. Moving up for Allen and Edmunds last draft, I'm fine with. This year we need all, if not most of the picks to fill out the wr and oline positions and depth elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

5th rounder!!

This is why we should keep all 10 picks this year. Moving up for Allen and Edmunds last draft, I'm fine with. This year we need all, if not most of the picks to fill out the wr and oline positions and depth elsewhere.

Again, thanks Cheaters!

14 hours ago, Dopey said:

5th rounder!!

I agree. This Draft was an anomaly that I concur with. But McBeane & Co. have already proven to me they’re very good at college player evals, so accrue all the Picks we can and fill in the gaping holes.

I don't think most fans realize how valuable Matt Milano is to this team.

As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the best OLB's in all of football and he's only getting better.

He doesn't do anything at an elite level, but he does EVERYTHING extremely well.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think most fans realize how valuable Matt Milano is to this team.

As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the best OLB's in all of football and he's only getting better.

He doesn't do anything at an elite level, but he does EVERYTHING extremely well.

He's all over the field in coverage, the run game, and applying pressure on QBs.  Great to see him raise his game to such a high level. 

• Like (+1) 1

usa_today_11306159.0.jpg

The choice on who to do this week’s opponent scouting report on was certainly a tough one. The Buffalo Bills’ offense is statistically the worst in NFL history up to this point in the season but their defense is loaded with talent. Currently ranking as the third best defense in football, the Bills have many contributors such as Trent MurphyKyle WilliamsLorenzo Alexander, former Colt Jerry Hughes, Tre’Davious White, Jordan Poyer, and Micah Hyde.

That is a ton of talent right there but none of those guys intrigued me as much as inside linebacker Matt Milano.

Milano is a very underrated player and is the leader of the Bills defense. In only his second season out of Boston College, Milano has made a name for himself as a sure tackling, coverage linebacker. The former collegiate safety currently has 42 tackles, 6 tackles for a loss, 1 interception, and 1 sack. Last year against the Colts, Milano tallied his career high 11 tackles.

So what makes Milano such a good player on the Bills’ defense? Serving as the Thomas Davis in Head Coach Sean McDermott’s defense, Milano is the best coverage linebacker on the team. He is currently ranked as the 9th best linebacker in all of football according to PFF and has the 9th highest coverage grade among linebackers as well. So why am I worried about Milano for Sunday’s game? Let’s look at some film and find out.