PFF: Matt Milano Named a Secret Superstar for Week 5 - Buffalo Rumblings All-22 Analysis Added

MATT MILANO, LB, BUFFALO BILLS

Week 5 Grade: 80.4

Milano became the starting weakside linebacker for the Bills in Week 14 last year after proving himself with some standout games, most notably his 87.8 graded showing in Week 7 against the Buccaneers where he had a couple of pressures, made two stops and picked up an interception in coverage. He finished the season with 450 snaps and an adequate 60.3 grade This wasn’t unreasonable production for a fifth-round pick with the ability to kick on as shown in his best game. Kick on, as it happens, is exactly what he’s done, turning his form around somewhat and making poor games as much an exception as good ones were last year.

His only poor outing so far has come against the Packers (48.6 grade) and outside of that, he’s graded no lower than a 71.5. Some issues with tackling aside (eight missed tackles), he’s been solid in run defense, graded well in coverage, picked up four pressures blitzing and ranks as our 11th overall linebacker. He just needs to maintain this level of play and improve his tackling to become one of the more well-rounded linebackers in the game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 5

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to PFF: Matt Milano Named a Secret Superstar for Week 5
10 hours ago, Augie said:

PFF is not very good at keeping secrets. 

If you’ve been watching, this is no surprise. 

Certainly for Bills' fans, but I'm guessing this is written for a broad audience of NFL fans, most of whom couldn't name the starting LBs of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

Sincerely,

Ray Sheppard

I think Beane and McD were in utter terror regarding Milano going into the season, bet he's been great!

He's very good when he's clean, when blockers get to him not so much, but you can say that about most linebackers in the NFL.    He more than makes up for it though.   He's still learning as well in his what..8th start?    He'll get better with time as well.

• Like (+1) 1

It's such a secret even Bills Fans can't recognize it !!!! !

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

He may be a secret to the rest of the League, but I’ve seen a major jump in play from a pretty fine rookie year. I think he’s great and paired with Edmunds, this should be a great team strength for years to come.

simultaneous posting  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

Sincerely,

Ray Sheppard

They did? Who?

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

He's very good when he's clean, when blockers get to him not so much, but you can say that about most linebackers in the NFL.    He more than makes up for it though.   He's still learning as well in his what..8th start?    He'll get better with time as well.

Our supposidly overpaid DT free agency pickup says "Yoooooooour Welcome"

:)

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Our supposidly overpaid DT free agency pickup says "Yoooooooour Welcome"

:)

I don't think Star lines up with Milano behind him much but I get the point.   I still think we could have spent less money on a NT and thrown a little at the oline.   Well a little more than Newhouse and Bodine.  Protecting linebackers should never be more important than protecting the QB. 

In case you haven’t heard, this Matt Milano guy has been playing the ol’ linebacker position pretty darn well for the Buffalo Bills. After about a year of splitting snaps with Ramon Humber, Milano was on the field for all but one play against the Tennessee Titans. This will hopefully become a pattern. Milano wasn’t perfect against the Titans, but he maintained a high level of play with his increased role. Let’s over-analyze some highlights.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to PFF: Matt Milano Named a Secret Superstar for Week 5 - Buffalo Rumblings All-22 Analysis Added

If you know me you know what's coming:

Coaching trumps talent.  With the exception of the 10 or 20 best linebackers, there isn't a huge difference in talent among linebackers.   

What does make a difference is scheme and absolute dedication of the player to learning and executing.  THAT'S why Milano is succeeding, not because he's some previously undiscovered superstar.  

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you know me you know what's coming:

Coaching trumps talent.  With the exception of the 10 or 20 best linebackers, there isn't a huge difference in talent among linebackers.   

What does make a difference is scheme and absolute dedication of the player to learning and executing.  THAT'S why Milano is succeeding, not because he's some previously undiscovered superstar.  

The levels of stratification with talent at linebacker are bigger than you think. But I do agree that coaching and putting players in a position to maximize their skill sets are huge component to getting productive levels of talent out of players. So much of coaching is understanding what players do and don't do well and putting them in positions to hide their weaknesses and maximize their strengths. 

The Pats are always getting the most out of role players and players who weren't able to be successful on other teams. That's a huge component of their success. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Sincerely,

Ray Sheppard

2776352-5018973633-tumbl.gif

• Haha (+1) 1