Jump to content
26CornerBlitz

PFF: Matt Milano Named a Secret Superstar for Week 5 - Buffalo Rumblings All-22 Analysis Added

Recommended Posts

 

MATT MILANO, LB, BUFFALO BILLS

 

Week 5 Grade: 80.4
 
Milano became the starting weakside linebacker for the Bills in Week 14 last year after proving himself with some standout games, most notably his 87.8 graded showing in Week 7 against the Buccaneers where he had a couple of pressures, made two stops and picked up an interception in coverage. He finished the season with 450 snaps and an adequate 60.3 grade This wasn’t unreasonable production for a fifth-round pick with the ability to kick on as shown in his best game. Kick on, as it happens, is exactly what he’s done, turning his form around somewhat and making poor games as much an exception as good ones were last year.
 
His only poor outing so far has come against the Packers (48.6 grade) and outside of that, he’s graded no lower than a 71.5. Some issues with tackling aside (eight missed tackles), he’s been solid in run defense, graded well in coverage, picked up four pressures blitzing and ranks as our 11th overall linebacker. He just needs to maintain this level of play and improve his tackling to become one of the more well-rounded linebackers in the game.
 
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PFF is not very good at keeping secrets. 

 

 

If you’ve been watching, this is no surprise. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

 

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

 

Sincerely,

 

Ray Sheppard

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Augie said:

PFF is not very good at keeping secrets. 

 

 

If you’ve been watching, this is no surprise. 

Certainly for Bills' fans, but I'm guessing this is written for a broad audience of NFL fans, most of whom couldn't name the starting LBs of the Bills.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

 

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

 

Sincerely,

 

Ray Sheppard

 

 

I think Beane and McD were in utter terror regarding Milano going into the season, bet he's been great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's very good when he's clean, when blockers get to him not so much, but you can say that about most linebackers in the NFL.    He more than makes up for it though.   He's still learning as well in his what..8th start?    He'll get better with time as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He may be a secret to the rest of the League, but I’ve seen a major jump in play from a pretty fine rookie year. I think he’s great and paired with Edmunds, this should be a great team strength for years to come.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such a secret even Bills Fans can't recognize it !!!! !

 

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

He may be a secret to the rest of the League, but I’ve seen a major jump in play from a pretty fine rookie year. I think he’s great and paired with Edmunds, this should be a great team strength for years to come.

simultaneous posting  

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

 

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

 

Sincerely,

 

Ray Sheppard

 

 

They did? Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ricojes said:

I think Beane and McD were in utter terror regarding Milano going into the season, bet he's been great!

 

Same duo that was very comfortable with NP starting the season, so.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

He's very good when he's clean, when blockers get to him not so much, but you can say that about most linebackers in the NFL.    He more than makes up for it though.   He's still learning as well in his what..8th start?    He'll get better with time as well.

Our supposidly overpaid DT free agency pickup says "Yoooooooour Welcome"

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Our supposidly overpaid DT free agency pickup says "Yoooooooour Welcome"

 

:)

I don't think Star lines up with Milano behind him much but I get the point.   I still think we could have spent less money on a NT and thrown a little at the oline.   Well a little more than Newhouse and Bodine.  Protecting linebackers should never be more important than protecting the QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Our supposidly overpaid DT free agency pickup says "Yoooooooour Welcome"

 

:)

I dont know. The guy who wrote this article is kind of a idiot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

In case you haven’t heard, this Matt Milano guy has been playing the ol’ linebacker position pretty darn well for the Buffalo Bills. After about a year of splitting snaps with Ramon Humber, Milano was on the field for all but one play against the Tennessee Titans. This will hopefully become a pattern. Milano wasn’t perfect against the Titans, but he maintained a high level of play with his increased role. Let’s over-analyze some highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you know me you know what's coming:

 

Coaching trumps talent.  With the exception of the 10 or 20 best linebackers, there isn't a huge difference in talent among linebackers.   

 

What does make a difference is scheme and absolute dedication of the player to learning and executing.  THAT'S why Milano is succeeding, not because he's some previously undiscovered superstar.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you know me you know what's coming:

 

Coaching trumps talent.  With the exception of the 10 or 20 best linebackers, there isn't a huge difference in talent among linebackers.   

 

What does make a difference is scheme and absolute dedication of the player to learning and executing.  THAT'S why Milano is succeeding, not because he's some previously undiscovered superstar.  

 

 

 

The levels of stratification with talent at linebacker are bigger than you think. But I do agree that coaching and putting players in a position to maximize their skill sets are huge component to getting productive levels of talent out of players. So much of coaching is understanding what players do and don't do well and putting them in positions to hide their weaknesses and maximize their strengths. 

 

The Pats are always getting the most out of role players and players who weren't able to be successful on other teams. That's a huge component of their success. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

 

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

 

Sincerely,

 

Ray Sheppard

2776352-5018973633-tumbl.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what happens in 2 years when his contract comes up?  Just trade him now and get a conditional late round pick.

  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

 

The levels of stratification with talent at linebacker are bigger than you think. But I do agree that coaching and putting players in a position to maximize their skill sets are huge component to getting productive levels of talent out of players. So much of coaching is understanding what players do and don't do well and putting them in positions to hide their weaknesses and maximize their strengths. 

 

The Pats are always getting the most out of role players and players who weren't able to be successful on other teams. That's a huge component of their success. 

You may be correct about the stratification.   I doubt it.  There is no effective grading system for evaluating raw talent of players, but I know that if the talent levels follow conventional statistical patterns, the difference between the 50th and 51st outside linebackers is relatively small.  

 

Regardless, your second and third sentences are what I was getting at.  We've watched the Pats do it year after year.   No-name guys doing adequate to good jobs and occasionally making big players.   Bill B asks them to do almost everything they're capable of, but not more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If you know me you know what's coming:

 

Coaching trumps talent.  With the exception of the 10 or 20 best linebackers, there isn't a huge difference in talent among linebackers.   

 

What does make a difference is scheme and absolute dedication of the player to learning and executing.  THAT'S why Milano is succeeding, not because he's some previously undiscovered superstar.  

 

 


Agreed. 

The Bills have some really EXCELLENT teachers on the defensive side of the ball. 

Bob Babich with the linebackers and his son Bobby Babich with the secondary have been doing some amazing work teaching fundamentals and getting their position groups to play fast. 

Recently, an opposing coach was asked whether he saw more of McDermott or more of Leslie Frazier in the Bills defense. He replied that the defense seems to feature the schemes and tendencies of McDermott, but the emphasis on fundamentals of Leslie Frazier. This seems to be an outstanding combination.

Additionally, the Bills defensive scheme is simple enough that their players are able to play fast and not overthink things, but well-disguised and varied enough that the opposition has a hard time with it. This ALSO seems to be an outstanding combination.

Time will tell what this staff is able to do with the offense, but color me highly impressed with their work on defense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

I'm confused, many people wanted this guy ridden out on a rail during only his second pre-season with the team after an impressive rookie season.

 

Could some Buffalo fans have been mistaken?

 

Sincerely,

 

Ray Sheppard

 

 

Many... no just a few idiots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5th rounder!!

 This is why we should keep all 10 picks this year. Moving up for Allen and Edmunds last draft, I'm fine with. This year we need all, if not most of the picks to fill out the wr and oline positions and depth elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

5th rounder!!

 This is why we should keep all 10 picks this year. Moving up for Allen and Edmunds last draft, I'm fine with. This year we need all, if not most of the picks to fill out the wr and oline positions and depth elsewhere.

 

Again, thanks Cheaters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×