Andy Benoit: The Good, the Bad, and the Season Outlook for the NFL’s Rookie Quarterbacks; Added Any Given Sunday Write Up from FBO's Rivers McCown

13 hours ago, billspro said:

We have two great safeties and two great LBs. 

10 draft picks and 100 mil in cap room, we will have a playoff caliber roster next year.

Who are you going to sign on offense with all that cap room?   It's a defensive draft and defensive free agent class.  We did it backwards - rookie GM

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No poke taken. 

Two points here.  I pointed out in my op that we don't know how Allen was coached, and it might have been 'take a shot downfield'.

The second, which I also mentioned but maybe buried, is that Allen never looks at the TE.  Because he's downfield all the way, the TE is way more open than the sort of throw where Taylor would get 5-6 yds.

TBH, I think that's one reason they signed Anderson.  I think McDermott and Daboll had a "come to Jesus" moment and McDermott made the point "you've got a run threat, Use Him" to which Daboll would have made the counter-point "Do you really want to see Peterman back on the field?  Running QBs get their bells rung and get hauled into concussion protocol.  Bring in someone more capable as a backup if you want to see designed QB runs."

So Anderson is now the backup, the mentor and the OC?

Let the new threads flow!!

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm starting to get a bit testy about this POV, which I realize Gug is exaggerating here for comedic effect.

Look, we all know Rome wasn't built in a day. 

But the point is, we had better WR who were let walk and other teams have successfully signed FA who can play - for less money than we have paid, overall, when you bring in some miscues such as Kerley and Coleman's guaranteed salaries.  My concern is that Beane didn't intend to decimate the WR corps.  I think he honestly believed with Boldin then Benjamin, Matthews, Zay Jones, and Holmes they had upgraded or at least obtained equal value to Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and Hunter.  And, well, he didn't. 

Other teams have managed to obtain better WR value in FA for $4.5M against the cap than a month of Corey Coleman and a game of Jeremy Kerley.  Can we please accept that?  When it came to upgrading WR, Beane laid an egg.

The same is true on the FA market.  Pouncey is costing the Chargers $6.3M against the cap.  Bodine is costing us $2.1.  I don't think our cap precluded an extra $4.2M.  I don't think we meant to send our QB out behind a horrid OL.  The bottom line is, we cheaped it and there was more available at a price we could have afforded.

Oh.  And it's actually one season for Beane.

Exaggeration/sarcasm/comedic effect OFF:

I, too, thought we were better at WR than many here did.  I was wrong.  I expected a hell of a lot more out of Benjamin and I'm really disappointed.  Re: Kerley, I am still very confused as to why he's gone.  I've been a believer in Zay Jones from day one and I am more optimistic about him now than ever.

I've also been 100% supportive of "the process," even though no one really knows what it is.  My interpretation has always been that they want to get guys in here who want to play hard every week and are dedicated to being prepared/executing.  I'm totally down with that. 

My biggest concerns are the coaching hires.  I don't believe Leslie Frazier has anything to do with the defense.  I see him talking and holding pieces of laminated paper over his mouth, but I think he's been neutered.  Bad hire.  I am committing myself to giving Daboll the entire season before I decide whether or not I think he was a bad hire.  At this point, more than 1/4 through, I'm leaning towards bad hire.

I think the QB position was mishandled even worse than Marrone's hack job.  To have Josh Allen and Nate Peterman as the two QBs for six games .... unacceptable and irresponsible.

Back to the process ... I'm fine with rebuilding ("building") around this "core," that McDermott keeps referencing.  I don't know if Beane went on the cheap not caring if the Bills won a lot of games (please don't confuse with "tanking," as that is not my assertion).  But I do think that the mishandling of the QB position has now forced them to put Allen into a less than ideal situation.  I'm fine with this (Allen getting the OJT), but I think it was handled poorly.

I'm hoping all of the head-scratcher moves make sense by training camp next year.

14 hours ago, Augie said:

If any QB needed time to sit and learn, it was our guy. I’m hoping Derek Anderson can help him the rest of the season ($$$ well spent, I pray), and Palmer works with him daily in the offseason. There’s just SO MUCH learning and refining to do. He was my 4th choice, but he’s OUR GUY now! 

I agree 100% I think Anderson will really help him out at least on the aspect of reading coverages and certain things and Palmer helped Allen a lot in a short amount of time since college it might not show but his footwork is actually way better. So as long as josh Allen doesn’t quit on himself it’ll be a long road but he can get a lot better. He was my least favorite as well but now we are here so wtf

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I agree 100% I think Anderson will really help him out at least on the aspect of reading coverages and certain things and Palmer helped Allen a lot in a short amount of time since college it might not show but his footwork is actually way better. So as long as josh Allen doesn’t quit on himself it’ll be a long road but he can get a lot better. He was my least favorite as well but now we are here so wtf

As has been pointed out, this may be the best of both worlds as the CBA would limit how much contact Allen could have with Palmer in the off-season. I hope he can work some magic! Let’s just not break him before this season ends. 

I think it's a crime that McBeane doesn't beg borrow or steal to get this kid some receiver help. I think it is going to hamper his development for next season. It won't matter what they do this off-season if Allen has not learned with competent WO's to throw to. How is going to develop when his guys never get open and if they do can't catch a cold. He takes a lot of sacks because he's learning but his high school receivers take forever to get open if at all. His Wyoming receivers were better and they sucked. Criminal

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Back to the process ... I'm fine with rebuilding ("building") around this "core," that McDermott keeps referencing.  I don't know if Beane went on the cheap not caring if the Bills won a lot of games (please don't confuse with "tanking," as that is not my assertion).  But I do think that the mishandling of the QB position has now forced them to put Allen into a less than ideal situation.  I'm fine with this (Allen getting the OJT), but I think it was handled poorly.

I'm hoping all of the head-scratcher moves make sense by training camp next year.

To reinforce the point Hap made earlier, it's not really about being cheap, it's about bad judgment.  Between Coleman & Kerley, the Bills are paying $4.5 million of real money (and cap space) to 2 guys who aren't on the team.  We traded a 3rd rounder for Benjamin (a move I liked at the time), and it's been an absolute bust.  We traded up in the 2nd round to draft Zay Jones (another move I liked at the time), and while there's still a shred of hope left for Zay, it certainly hasn't worked out to this point.  Especially with Smith-Schuster and Golladay and Kupp drafted after Zay in the same round.

Beane hasn't fully cheaped out on the WR position; it's just that basically every move he's made has failed.  I think it's absolutely fair to criticize him for that.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know.  I *think*, from what I've seen, that Mayfield and Rosen are further ahead.  They don't seem to need to worry about whether their fundamental ball-throwing mechanics will come apart and make them inaccurate on quick slants, crossers and dumpoffs.  I don't say that to pick on Allen, that's just a fact that he and his coaches have openly acknowledged.  He's got to work on an aspect of his game, his fundamental throwing skills, that those guys don't.   (Darnold has fundamentals work to do too, as does Jackson)

So here's a question.  This is the noted "who were you throwing to, Holmes or Benjamin?  Did Holmes quit on his route, were you guys not on the same page, and if he'd kept going would he have been able to catch it?" 3rd and 9.  Now I have no idea how Allen is being coached.  Maybe he was told "take a deeper shot on this one so they know you will, we're OK punting".  But meanwhile, look at that lonely goatherd - I mean, TE.  Yeah, he's not far from the LOS, but he's got enough real estate around him that I bet he could move the sticks. (that's Logan Thomas). 

image.thumb.png.de35c9651f0673d55bfb106d1c26e4e9.png

I could be wrong, but I think Mayfield sees it, and Rosen sees it. 

On the other hand, maybe they don't have a guy downfield who stops on his route.

And we don't know how Allen was coached there, all I know is he never gave Thomas a glance.

Just to leave us with something sweeter, here's a successful pass to Clay.  Leads him beautifully, perfect height, "come to Papa" (the ball is the little smudge at 48 1/2 yds above the hashes, and you can see by Clay's hands where he expects it to go).

image.thumb.png.fcdeabed294316c72d0650eeeb552afd.png

Is it me or do the bills receivers constantly run right into the coverage.  The first picture, the WR running on the bottom of the screen at the 40 yrd mark, if he just sits & Allen fires the ball it is an easy 20 yard completion.  But he keeps running right into the safety.  I don't know, it seems like the Bills Wideouts do this a lot.  

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Lmao...Rivers McCown?? What dd  he just take two last name from NFL QBs and put them together? One starter and one backup?

Well, I think I'm gonna gloss myself Stafford Fitzpatrick from now on. Good strong Irish name.

I get to be Beathard Winston.  It sounds snooty.

5 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

that to me is maddening.     how is that not basically in his peripheral vision?    that suggests to me that he is ( more often than not) locking in on his first read and that is not a good sign.  i thought this year i wouldn't have to be screaming "THROW THE BALL!",  but i was wrong.  that photo on top is not the only time that's happened.

Common man!  That's ridiculous.  The corner has clearly changed direction based on Allen committing.  If he had indeed looked at or targeted Thomas the corner would not have backed off and Thomas might get a 4 yard catch or nothing.  That's it.  Getting mad at a still frame taken 2-3 seconds after the snap?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Who are you going to sign on offense with all that cap room?   It's a defensive draft and defensive free agent class.  We did it backwards - rookie GM

Its too early to evaluate the draft or free agent class

17 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Funny part is, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen are ranked 40, 42, 44 and 46 respectively in terms of completions and the bills have no one in their WR group that can run a route let alone catch a ball.

Allen has been off the mark in some games and has made bad throws at times but I don't think he's that far off from the others that were drafted.

Mayfield missed the 1st 10 quarters too.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I get to be Beathard Winston.  It sounds snooty.

Common man!  That's ridiculous.  The corner has clearly changed direction based on Allen committing.  If he had indeed looked at or targeted Thomas the corner would not have backed off and Thomas might get a 4 yard catch or nothing.  That's it.  Getting mad at a still frame taken 2-3 seconds after the snap?

oops didn't mean to like, i meant to quote. look at josh's head position and where he's looking. he should have come off that by then....unless he's got eyes in his ears....

which doesn't appear to be the case.....kinda like peripheral vision. but anywho

48 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

oops didn't mean to like, i meant to quote. look at josh's head position and where he's looking. he should have come off that by then....unless he's got eyes in his ears....

which doesn't appear to be the case.....kinda like peripheral vision. but anywho

It's a still photo and does not show past or future, only present.

Another Rivers McCown writeup.  This time at The Athletic.

Texans Film Breakdown: Houston's defense should feast on the Bills

The Buffalo Bills have won two games this season, and they did both as massive underdogs. In fact, their win over the Vikings was the first time in NFL history a team has won a game by 14 or more points after being a 14-point or more underdog. Houston is favored by 10 points, with all the line movement coming only after it was announced that Deshaun Watson had a chest injury.

Texans fans will be quite familiar with what Bills head coach Sean McDermott is doing: It’s essentially the same game plan that Bill O’Brien used before he had Watson on the roster. Buffalo’s objective will be to run the ball successfully, eat a lot of clock and rely on its defense to stifle Houston’s offense. In Buffalo’s two wins, the Bills had 81 running plays and threw the ball just 45 times. They are like Homer Simpson boxing: They want to wear you out and nudge you over rather than having to actually trade punches.

When Buffalo has the ball

The known: Josh Allen simply can’t throw with any accuracy, and the Buffalo offense as a whole is a tribute to the 1960s. He’s missing open receivers as his renowned arm has led to no advantage for his offense. Per data from Sports Info Solutions, Allen has completed 7 of 33 deep balls for 205 yards and four interceptions. And zero touchdowns. Asked to check through his progressions, Allen has at times created comedic tape. This pass from last week’s game against the Titans was a masterpiece. He not only refused to see the open receivers, but also threw a dump-off pass at the feet of Taiwan Jones.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Another Rivers McCown writeup.  This time at The Athletic.

Texans Film Breakdown: Houston's defense should feast on the Bills

The Buffalo Bills have won two games this season, and they did both as massive underdogs. In fact, their win over the Vikings was the first time in NFL history a team has won a game by 14 or more points after being a 14-point or more underdog. Houston is favored by 10 points, with all the line movement coming only after it was announced that Deshaun Watson had a chest injury.

Texans fans will be quite familiar with what Bills head coach Sean McDermott is doing: It’s essentially the same game plan that Bill O’Brien used before he had Watson on the roster. Buffalo’s objective will be to run the ball successfully, eat a lot of clock and rely on its defense to stifle Houston’s offense. In Buffalo’s two wins, the Bills had 81 running plays and threw the ball just 45 times. They are like Homer Simpson boxing: They want to wear you out and nudge you over rather than having to actually trade punches.

When Buffalo has the ball

The known: Josh Allen simply can’t throw with any accuracy, and the Buffalo offense as a whole is a tribute to the 1960s. He’s missing open receivers as his renowned arm has led to no advantage for his offense. Per data from Sports Info Solutions, Allen has completed 7 of 33 deep balls for 205 yards and four interceptions. And zero touchdowns. Asked to check through his progressions, Allen has at times created comedic tape. This pass from last week’s game against the Titans was a masterpiece. He not only refused to see the open receivers, but also threw a dump-off pass at the feet of Taiwan Jones.

Is this supposed to be real journalism?

"Cant throw with any accuracy"   ok his accuracy has not been the best...but COME ON

Missing wide open recievers

Allen has not thrown for a touchdown?

Comedic tape?

!@#$ this guy

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is this supposed to be real journalism?

"Cant throw with any accuracy"   ok his accuracy has not been the best...but COME ON

Missing wide open recievers

Allen has not thrown for a touchdown?

Comedic tape?

!@#$ this guy

Zero TDs on deep balls.  Read carefully. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I read it....I dont understand why there needs to be a distinction between a deep ball TD or a red zone TD

Frankly....this article sucks

Do you have access to The Athletic via subscription to truthfully post this?