Griff28

How is Dean Marlowe not still around?

The guy has a history with McBeane.  Played well in the pre-season.  Was on the practice squad for the first four games.  Was elevated to the active roster, STARTED and played well in a game five win.  Was then cut to make room for a third quarterback and replaced on the practice squad by a TE (Towbridge) who has no real chance of being an active roster guy any time soon.  Granted not a huge deal with a back up safety but it all seems very odd...

• Like 1

So the logical move is that he comes back to the practice squad.  Instead replaced by a guy they cut 6 weeks ago?  Makes no sense.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Griff28 said:

The guy has a history with McBeane.  Played well in the pre-season.  Was on the practice squad for the first four games.  Was elevated to the active roster, STARTED and played well in a game five win.  Was then cut to make room for a third quarterback and replaced on the practice squad by a TE (Towbridge) who has no real chance of being an active roster guy any time soon.  Granted not a huge deal with a back up safety but it all seems very odd...

Because the system makes it relatively easy to step in as a DB and play well.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Because Hyde or Bush...Or both will be back this week.

Well, there IS that. 

I won’t be surprised for a second if he’s back in some capacity soon. This is life on the fringe. 

• Like 1

I feel like he will make it back to the practice squad eventually. I feel like he played well. Perhaps he didn't play as well as we think. 

• Like 1

I think he will be back on PS if he is eligible. 

Need to get Anderson up to speed as the #2 which might take a few weeks.  Then we can cut Peterman and bring a more useful player on the 53.  

Why is Kerley gone? Two mysterious separations.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, there IS that. 

I won’t be surprised for a second if he’s back in some capacity soon. This is life on the fringe. 

Same here, maybe PS or back on the team. I wouldn't rule it out, unless he get snatched up.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Why is Kerley gone? Two mysterious separations.

Must be because Benjamin and Holmes are dominant receivers.

• Haha 5
  • Thanks 1

I get the Anderson up to speed thing and perhaps Marlowe didn't play as well as I/we believe he did (Good point MrEpsYtown) but it still seems odd to bring Towbridge back, instead of Marlowe, at this point when Towbridge wasn't even part of the original PS group after the final cuts were made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Griff28 said:

I get the Anderson up to speed thing and perhaps Marlowe didn't play as well as I/we believe he did (Good point MrEpsYtown) but it still seems odd to bring Towbridge back, instead of Marlowe, at this point when Towbridge wasn't even part of the original PS group after the final cuts were made.

Marlowe has to clear wavers first. I still believe Nate will be gone soon.

Because now we have to keep 3 QBs on the roster because our backup can't play or mentor Allen.

• Haha 1

We should back in this thread in 5 years.  I too, thought he played well vs the titans.  But he’ll most likely be a one year Ko Simpson minus the big mouth 

Kerley and Marlowe are gone because have to protect a huge asset in Nate Peterman.

51 minutes ago, Griff28 said:

Exactly...It makes no sense at all...He played well, all preseason, gets the start, then McBean gets rid of him.....these dudes don't have a clue.....10 Draft picks next season...the 1st 3 rounds will be Defense of players....TIME TO HIT THE RESET BUTTON AGAIN.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Griff28 said:

They will bring him back after the McCoy trade😋

42 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Must be because Benjamin and Holmes are dominant receivers.

Everyone needs to stop bashing Holmes. He is a special teams ace and when he stops running routes early it's because he's saving himself for the ensuing punt coverage.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I feel like he will make it back to the practice squad eventually. I feel like he played well. Perhaps he didn't play as well as we think. 

Is Marlowe really worse than Rafael Bush?  But maybe I'm just noticing the big drop-off from Micah Hyde.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jaywrizzo said:

Exactly...It makes no sense at all...He played well, all preseason, gets the start, then McBean gets rid of him.....these dudes don't have a clue.....10 Draft picks next season...the 1st 3 rounds will be Defense of players....TIME TO HIT THE RESET BUTTON AGAIN.

He didn’t play well in the preseason. Anyway, glad he was ok last week which is a tribute to the secondary coach, but the two guys ahead of him are back. 

1 hour ago, Griff28 said:

He was only elevated to the active roster last week because two guys ahead of him on the depth chart were injured and inactive. They are both back practicing so he’s not needed anymore. No real mystery here. 

What’s odd is how much angst I’ve seen over Dean Marlowe. It’s JWill-Esque. Not quite Brandon Reilly level but a 7 on the scrub-love scale. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like 3

Yeah, he definitely played well.  I don’t fully trust McBeane but I definitely don’t question them with the secondary.  This is SM’s area of expertise.

I wonder how many players have ever done the complete "NFL around the world" in less than a week? Marlowe went from PS to 53 to 46 to starting 11 to making a couple plays and back to waiver wire in four days.

51 minutes ago, Jaywrizzo said:

On your face maybe.  Lunacy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

Same here, maybe PS or back on the team. I wouldn't rule it out, unless he get snatched up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1