Lynyrd Skynyrd

TSNBDSC

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sure sounds pro-gun, anti-Sat Night Special to me?

"Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me"

"Gimme back my bullets"

45 minutes ago, Figster said:

"Gimme back my bullets"

Yeah, you'd think it was about gun bullets, but oddly it's not.

Here's a link. 

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/lynyrd-skynyrd/gimme-back-my-bullets

I stumbled on a old interview with Ronnie VZ on YouTube where he was discussing this stuff.  It was really cool listening to him.

My two older brothers were big Skynyrd fans back in the 70's.  I of course listened to what my big bros were listening to. 

There was a lot of talent in that band.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Stagger Lee would work too.

(I always thought Dire Wolf was simply about Dire Wolves outside the door.)

Dire Wolf and Black Peter are part of the “murder ballad” genre but not from an explicit killer’s point of view

Most exposure to Saturday Night Special would be the opening song to Burt Reynold’s bad behaviour spree in Longesr Yard, so it would be attached to negativity

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Figster said:

"Gimme back my bullets"

Means:

Stop, Don't Shoot!

?

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Dire Wolf and Black Peter are part of the “murder ballad” genre but not from an explicit killer’s point of view

Most exposure to Saturday Night Special would be the opening song to Burt Reynold’s bad behaviour spree in Longesr Yard, so it would be attached to negativity

Which is the whole meaning of the phrase: "Saturday Night Special."

Negativity, cheap (back then) $20 handgun.

In 2018, we get: "Saturday Night Tweets" from Dearest Leader and 3-D printer gun plans so You can build a weapon for toting to Church the following morning.

All for the low introductory price of $19.99/month bundled internet/cable/phone service!

On 10/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, thenorthremembers said:

My Dad's all time favorite band.  Can still remember him listening to the first reunion show with Johnny on vocals.  Couldn't afford the pay per view so he just listened while the picture scrambled.  I remember him tearing up during Tuesdays Gone, Simple Man and Free Bird.  

To this day if Tuesdays Gone comes on the radio I feel like the old man is standing right next to me.  I know some people see the band as a bit of a stereotype but they mean a lot to my family.

Good stuff--thanks for sharing that.  

LS was one of the first bands I really paid attention to and to this day virtually every Skynyrd song carries with it some good memories.  The "how do you listen to that?!"  crowd never really interested me all that much, and the irony of a kid from 1970's Buffalo listening to southern rock was never really lost on me.  I just liked the sound and the music.  

One of the cool things bout music is the ability to connect people.  The fact that you feel close to your Dad when Tuesday's Gone is actually pretty amazing, given that his Dad may at one time have walked into his room and told him to shut that $#@! off, or turn that &^%$ down, or the obligatory cut your ^%$# hair.  I always tried to connect with my kids through their music, and tried to connect through their music while dropping a bit of mine on them.  As a result, I can pop on DMB, Angels and Airwaves, Drake, Eminen, Taking Back Sunday and some more hardcore rap (not a huge fan, but I only strongly recommend that my kids 'turn that volume down to a 6 will ya, you're going to go deaf!") and be pretty happy.  Still, it was only a few days ago when I pulled up "Curtis Lowe" and sang along as I always did.  

So, to summarize:

1. Music connects if you let it;

2. The plane crash was 100% avoidable and what a shame;

3. Don't let someone else define your music.  "Sweet Home Alabama" was no more about racial bias than was "Southern Man" by Neil Young, "That Smell" wasn't celebrating drunk/drugged driving and hitting Oak Trees, and "What's Your name" wasn't about the band hooking up with girls on the road and promising to look them up the next time they were in town.

4. Simple Man is as honest a song as ever been written;

5.  Very cool story about your Dad.  LS wouldn't be one with mine, but I have others and that's a precious gift.

Oh, and 6...after watching the documentary that's been on recently, "If I leave here tomorrow" and considering the totality of the life those band members lived before and after the crash, any of them making it to 55 had to be a miracle.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Means:

Stop, Don't Shoot!

?

Which is the whole meaning of the phrase: "Saturday Night Special."

Negativity, cheap (back then) $20 handgun.

In 2018, we get: "Saturday Night Tweets" from Dearest Leader and 3-D printer gun plans so You can build a weapon for toting to Church the following morning.

All for the low introductory price of $19.99/month bundled internet/cable/phone service!

Reffering to billbord charts,

although I'm sure Ronnie realized the lyric would be catchy for obvious reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

Reffering to billbord charts,

although I'm sure Ronnie realized the lyric would be catchy for obvious reasons.

We need Ke$sha to do a:

Saturday Night Twitter Twit song

Don't ask Me how I knew how to spell Ke$ha... I took a stab in the dark! ? /smh

Okay... Maybe "We"' don't! ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/12/2018 at 1:14 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sure sounds pro-gun, anti-Sat Night Special to me?

"Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me"

:lol:

Gee, never thought of it that way before!

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Actually, nothing to do with guns. It's about the "Bullet" that was next to the song on the Billboard charts.

It was a clever way/lyric to capture the outlaw image without endorsing it in my humble opinion.

If memory serves me somewhere on the album they show a skeleton arm, hand holding a 38 snub nose with bullets around it.

Don't quote me on it though...

1 minute ago, Figster said:

It was a clever way/lyric to capture the outlaw image without endorsing it in my humble opinion.

If memory serves me somewhere on the album they show a skeleton arm, hand holding a 38 snub nose with bullets around it.

Don't quote me on it though...

From what I've read the band as a whole had a diverse range of political views. Leon Wilkerson showed up to the Grammy's one year with a holster holding a pistol. 

• Like (+1) 1