Lynyrd Skynyrd

TSNBDSC

On 10/11/2018 at 3:17 PM, Helpmenow said:

Live album from the fox theatre is outstanding from Ronnie and the boys.

"One more from the road."  I loved that double album, growing up.

If any of you are interested in Lynyrd Skynyrd, I recommend watch the excellent music doco called, 'Muscle Shoals".  It's a fantastic story in it's own right, but the part about Skynyrd is really interesting.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Original Skynyrd 

they have never been the same without Ronnie

18 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

My Dad's all time favorite band.  Can still remember him listening to the first reunion show with Johnny on vocals.  Couldn't afford the pay per view so he just listened while the picture scrambled.  I remember him tearing up during Tuesdays Gone, Simple Man and Free Bird.  

To this day if Tuesdays Gone comes on the radio I feel like the old man is standing right next to me.  I know some people see the band as a bit of a stereotype but they mean a lot to my family.

I honestly don't consider any of the newer material to be Lynyrd Skynyrd. Their later albums were nothing more than the pandering country music singing about how redneck you can be. I've seen them live, and while talented, you can tell they're phoning it in.

That said, during the first reunion special, Johnny leaving the stage for just an instrumental of Free Bird send chills down my spine. They did the same thing at volunteer jam a year or two after the plane crash. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2018 at 10:37 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Isn't Pyle a registered sex offender? 

Yes, but he says he never touched them....                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artimus_Pyle

In 1993, Pyle was charged with alleged attempted capital sexual battery and lewd assault on two girls. He strongly denied the charges, and claimed the girls had been abused by people connected to babysitters in a Jacksonville mobile home park who held a grudge against him. Moreover, he claimed the allegations were an attempt to extort money from the Lynyrd Skynyrd organization.

During extensive legal depositions, Pyle's attorneys showed that various law enforcement and welfare workers in Jacksonville had misreported the allegations and were unqualified to ascertain child abuse. Under cross-examination, the girls' mother admitted that she had not seen Pyle abuse the girls. In one instance, it emerged that the girls had been influenced by self-help books and tapes about abusive fathers.[4] 

With time and money running out weeks before the trial was due to start in January 1994, Pyle reluctantly pleaded no contest rather than risk a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment if found guilty in a jury trial. He was sentenced to probation and required to register as a sex offender.

In 2007, Pyle was arrested for alleged failure to register as a sex offender in St. Johns County, Florida, after officials lost the change-of-address form he had sent them when he and his young family moved to North Carolina. He rejected a plea bargain offer, and was acquitted by a jury in 2009.[4]

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Yes, but he says he never touched them....                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artimus_Pyle

In 1993, Pyle was charged with alleged attempted capital sexual battery and lewd assault on two girls. He strongly denied the charges, and claimed the girls had been abused by people connected to babysitters in a Jacksonville mobile home park who held a grudge against him. Moreover, he claimed the allegations were an attempt to extort money from the Lynyrd Skynyrd organization.

During extensive legal depositions, Pyle's attorneys showed that various law enforcement and welfare workers in Jacksonville had misreported the allegations and were unqualified to ascertain child abuse. Under cross-examination, the girls' mother admitted that she had not seen Pyle abuse the girls. In one instance, it emerged that the girls had been influenced by self-help books and tapes about abusive fathers.[4] 

With time and money running out weeks before the trial was due to start in January 1994, Pyle reluctantly pleaded no contest rather than risk a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment if found guilty in a jury trial. He was sentenced to probation and required to register as a sex offender.

In 2007, Pyle was arrested for alleged failure to register as a sex offender in St. Johns County, Florida, after officials lost the change-of-address form he had sent them when he and his young family moved to North Carolina. He rejected a plea bargain offer, and was acquitted by a jury in 2009.[4]

That's what I would say too.

On 10/10/2018 at 6:05 PM, T&C said:

Never cared for them... Allmans rule that world.

I played in a band during the mid to late 70's. We were essentially an Allman/Skynyrd cover band.  I too prefer the ABB over Skynyrd however Skynyrd was one of the tightest live bands you'll see/hear. I listen to live music almost exclusively and Ronnie made sure they nailed every song live as best they could.  

• Like (+1) 2

I've  heard old interviews with Ronnie, where he explains that "Saturday Night Special" was a pro gun-control song, and that "Sweet Home Alabama" was an anti-Racist song.

Funny how that all got lost in translation in the decades since his passing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I've  heard old interviews with Ronnie, where he explains that "Saturday Night Special" was a pro gun-control song, and that "Sweet Home Alabama" was an anti-Racist song.

Sure sounds pro-gun, anti-Sat Night Special to me?

"Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me"

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sure sounds pro-gun, anti-Sat Night Special to me?

"Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me"

He said pro gun control 

those lyrics would make sense then

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

The only band that glorified cold blooded murder in song back then was the Grateful Dead

i never got a race-vibe out of SHA, certainly no pro racism 

40 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The only band that glorified cold blooded murder in song back then was the Grateful Dead

i never got a race-vibe out of SHA, certainly no pro racism 

Just wondering what GD songs you're referring to.  (Me and my Uncle?)

The racist stuff comes from the line, "In Birmingham they love the governor". 

It led a lot of people to believe that the band agreed with the policies of Governor George Wallace, who was very pro-segregation.

However, the lines that immediately follow, "Boo, boo, boo!" and "We all did what we could do", actually point out that they were in direct opposition to Wallace.

7 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

It led a lot of people to believe that the band agreed with the policies of Governor George Wallace, who was very pro-segregation.

However, the lines that immediately follow, "Boo, boo, boo!" and "We all did what we could do", actually point out that they were in direct opposition to Wallace.

Dire Wolf.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

If you are a fan you shouldn’t have trouble coming up with a few. :D

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

If you are a fan you shouldn’t have trouble coming up with a few. :D

Yeah, I was just sitting here trying to think of some.

Mexicalli Blues, El Paso, Jack Straw, Me and My Uncle, CandyMan?, Mr Charlie, Stagger Lee ...

15 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Yeah, I was just sitting here trying to think of some.

Mexicalli Blues, El Paso, Jack Straw, Me and My Uncle, CandyMan?, Mr Charlie, Stagger Lee ...

Well done, keep going if you wish... Candyman for sure....

i never felt Robert Hunter or Jerry or Bob were up to the task, but they sure sang from the Old American Songbook of gamblers and murderers for hire and other badassery.