Billsfanatic8989

Bruce Smith Safety in SB 25

It would have resulted in a bills win.  They would have won another too.  Tom brady would never have decided to take up football.  The bills would have hit the bottom after polian resigned in the late 90s, but it would have been good timing as they would have picked payton manning with their pick.  Running the table in the afc north for almost 2 decades, and winning 3 more superbowls vs green bay, detroit, and montreal.  

You know what else would have resulted in a Bills win? ...

Bills didn't completely have bad luck that whole day (although a lot if it).  There was that Lofton tipped pass he caught from Kelly that set up the first FG. 

I think the team was real lucky the cellphone age wasn't around back then.  Sounded like the guys were enjoying Tampa a little too much the week leading up to the game. 

It was so heartbreaking to loose that game. Could you imagine if it was lost by a couple of points or a missed kick?

5 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

How big of a moment was Hostetler not fumbling the ball, and the Bills only getting a safety? Do you think they win that game if its a TD recovery? Whenever I watch the replay, I am in disbelief that he held on to that ball. It would've been 17-3 if Buffalo recovered it for a TD. It was 12-3, then Bills go three and out, before the Giants score a TD by Ingram.

The Giants would've had to go to a passing game down two touchdowns. Their bread and butter was milking the clock and rushing the ball. I don't see them faring well going toe to toe with Buffalo ( Passing wise).

Your thoughts?

Your just thinking about this now? I'm pretty sure that those of us who watched that game have been thinking about it for the last 27 years.

The Giants needed that game to go a very specific way and somehow that happened. When you rewatch the first half of that game you realize the Bills could have won by 20+ points.

To this day I still cannot believe Hostetler held onto that ball

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It would have resulted in a bills win.  They would have won another too.  Tom brady would never have decided to take up football.  The bills would have hit the bottom after polian resigned in the late 90s, but it would have been good timing as they would have picked payton manning with their pick.  Running the table in the afc north for almost 2 decades, and winning 3 more superbowls vs green bay, detroit, and montreal.  

I like your alternative timeline. Which team in that timeline moved to Montreal?

• Like 1

I still don’t get why Belichek’s defensive game plan is in the HOF.

We didn’t even have the ball for 20 minutes and still scored 19.  It was Anderson’s running that won that game.

That game was just the perfect storm of little things that prevented Buffalo from getting their Superbowl.

Too much partying and ego tripping after running the score up on Oakland

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Success said:

Yeah - the non-fumble was enormous.  Higher score and they can’t run OJ Anderson for the first 10 minutes of that 2nd half.  

We probably win another SB or 2 also, and enjoy more peaceful and satisfied lives today.

Oh, well...

I have always wondered, what if they win that game, like many others. I believe if the Bills had won that one they wouldn’t have made it to four in a row. 

no guarantee buffalo recovers in the end zone there....even with a fumble, it could have ended in a safety.   There were so many critical plays in that game that all seemed to go the Giants way.  For me the inability of the Bills D to get off the field on third down is what I remember most.

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I like your alternative timeline. Which team in that timeline moved to Montreal?

I would think the Dolphins

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

the Patriots

Because the Bills' success, the rust belt became very fashionable once again, and steel plants and industry thrived.  It melted the ice caps quicker than imagined and a northern atlantic hurricane wiped out Boston

I guess Im kind of glad that ball didnt come out.

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

the Patriots

Because the Bills' success, the rust belt became very fashionable once again, and steel plants and industry thrived.  It melted the ice caps quicker than imagined and a northern atlantic hurricane wiped out Boston

I guess Im kind of glad that ball didnt come out.

I assume that means the Dolphins just became shark food.

Yeah, they might've won it had it been a TD instead of a safety.

I think it's on that Four Falls of Buffalo 30 for 30 but they talk about it with Bruce and he said something like, "To this day I think about it. I still have no idea how he held onto that ball." 

And Leon Seals completely destroyed Hostetler on a play, hit him with a full head of steam and landed with all of his weight on him (Leon was not a small man, and this play would've caused a plethora of flags and fines if it happened today). It literally looked like Hostetler had been pressed into the ground, his head got turned to one side, his helmet was all jacked up, he laid there for a few seconds barely moving but got up. Seals says the same thing as Bruce, has no idea how the hell the dude got up from that. Seals has said he hit him with everything he had and the guy still got up. 

I dunno, musta just been destiny or fate or some BS cause it just seems to feel like the Giants were meant to win that one. Jerks.

But also... Marv and Jimbo needed to swallow their pride a bit on how to run the offense for that game. Giants played coverage all day, but at times there would be as few as two DL with their hand in the dirt. Thurman was eating their lunch but they kept throwing. They should've handed it to Thurm time and time again and then once the Giants stacked the box, that's when Kelly should've dialed up big shots down the field. In all seriousness, they should've wiped the floor with them but they wouldn't abandon the no-huddle and adjust. I'm sure it also didn't help that half the team was hungover.

22 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I just re watched the game on YouTube. Then, I googled the play itself. Players on both teams say it was a key moment. 

I would argue the Norwood was more important:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I would argue the Norwood was more important:thumbsup:

Ingram hopping on one leg with Bills draped all over on a key 3rd down

I'm sure Bavaro came through with a few soul-crushing extra efforts on key plays as well...

SB 25 we were favorites. But it seems as though we had no shot against those Cowboys & Skins teams. Is it fair to say we lose 9 times out of 10 vs said teams in the SB?

22 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

SB 25 we were favorites. But it seems as though we had no shot against those Cowboys & Skins teams. Is it fair to say we lose 9 times out of 10 vs said teams in the SB?

Bills went to the Meadowlands in December that year and beat Phil Simms, with Kelly getting injured, the only time in my 45 years as a fan it was indisputable the Bills were the best team in the NFL, until the SB flop

There was no reason in a million years that justify losing to Hostetler

15 hours ago, Success said:

I still don’t get why Belichek’s defensive game plan is in the HOF.

We didn’t even have the ball for 20 minutes and still scored 19.  It was Anderson’s running that won that game.

Yet they still could've won with that FG.  I don't blame Norwood.  I blame Levy.  They got in FG range with about a minute left but got too conservative and stayed at the edge of Norwood's range.  Getting another 10 or more yards would've been huge.

• Like 1