Bruce Smith Safety in SB 25

How big of a moment was Hostetler not fumbling the ball, and the Bills only getting a safety? Do you think they win that game if its a TD recovery? Whenever I watch the replay, I am in disbelief that he held on to that ball. It would've been 17-3 if Buffalo recovered it for a TD. It was 12-3, then Bills go three and out, before the Giants score a TD by Ingram.

The Giants would've had to go to a passing game down two touchdowns. Their bread and butter was milking the clock and rushing the ball. I don't see them faring well going toe to toe with Buffalo ( Passing wise).

Your thoughts?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yeah - the non-fumble was enormous.  Higher score and they can’t run OJ Anderson for the first 10 minutes of that 2nd half.  

We probably win another SB or 2 also, and enjoy more peaceful and satisfied lives today.

Oh, well...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I wasn't born yet lol...

I'm just busting your chops. It's kind of a silly thread, but sometimes these threads can be fun.

In all seriousness, that definitely changed the course of the game, but there's literally nothing new that can be said about it.

Hostetler not fumbling wasn't the big turning point. The turning point was Andre Reed dropping an easy first down over the middle on the Bills following drive (because of the safety the Giants had to kick it back to the Bills immediately). At 12-3 up and the Bills with ALL the momentum, if they go down and score then, the Giants wouldn't have come back, not with that offense. 

That game is just one long list of what ifs and should haves. If they'd given Thomas the ball more he would have ended up with about 250 yards rushing and about three or four TDs. 

24 minutes ago, COTC said:

A hypothetical question from a game played 27 years ago??

Did you just wake up from a long nap?

Wow, 27 years ago. I still remember taking a dump at halftime as if it were yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

How big of a moment was Hostetler not fumbling the ball, and the Bills only getting a safety? Do you think they win that game if its a TD recovery? Whenever I watch the replay, I am in disbelief that he held on to that ball. It would've been 17-3 if Buffalo recovered it for a TD. It was 12-3, then Bills go three and out, before the Giants score a TD by Ingram.

The Giants would've had to go to a passing game down two touchdowns. Their bread and butter was milking the clock and rushing the ball. I don't see them faring well going toe to toe with Buffalo ( Passing wise).

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? I still have nightmares about the 4 Superbowls and do not like to discuss them...I attended the 1st 3 and still hard to believe losing all 4

1 minute ago, nucci said:

My thoughts? I still have nightmares about the 4 Superbowls and do not like to discuss them...I attended the 1st 3 and still hard to believe losing all 4

On the plus side at least you can always say you saw New Kids on the Block, Michael Jackson and Gloria Estefan live...

• Haha (+1) 1

There were countless things that led to that loss (why didn’t Thurman get more runs, why can’t we tackle Ingram, etc.) but how that ball didn’t come out is the one I just can’t get my head around. That seemed to defy the laws of physics....and just the thought of it still hurts.

Oh, and the most important part of that day was I didn’t punch my wife’s co-worker Lisa right in the face. She decided to come to MY house and be a Giant’s fan....just cuz it was fun for her. I’ve NEVER thought of hitting a female, but she was at least my size (and I’m 6’1” and 190lbs) , and she was practically begging for it. Taunting me! My wife had to intervene a bit there. (“Listen, he’s not kidding about this”.)  We all survived, even if scarred a bit in the soul.....

Edited by Augie

28 minutes ago, njbuff said:

When it was 12-3 and the Bills had the ball, Andre Reed dropped a pass to convert a third down on that drive.

That was the turning point in the game.

Yup.  They had a chance to put that game away early and let it slip away.

I know it's the minority on this thread, but why do certain people insist on bashing what is a perfectly reasonable question?... The poster's handle includes 8989, maybe he was born in '89?!... Maybe he's a young Bills fan - again, asking a fair question - wanting to learn about the history of the team?... 

• Like (+1) 3