Bruce Smith Safety in SB 25

49 minutes ago, Success said:

I wish more fans would talk about it that way.  They were beyond his range - he was such a clutch, reliable kicker, and it’s a bummer that he’s remembered for wide right.

Steve Christie would have made it blindfolded 

It was the MNF crew of Al and Giff and Dierdorf

so Dan must have told us 12 times that a playoff game cannot end in a tie and something like “you know I think there might be people out there and I’m just saying this but they might not agree with hoping for a long field goal but they could be wrong I guess”

On 10/11/2018 at 5:39 AM, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I just re watched the game on YouTube. Then, I googled the play itself. Players on both teams say it was a key moment. 

It really was. I remember also not really believing Hostetler had hung on. 

I think that the Bills would probably have won it if that had happened.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It really was. I remember also not really believing Hostetler had hung on. 

I think that the Bills would probably have won it if that had happened.

i went from jumping off the couch and celebrating to total frozen awe in about 5 seconds

the opposite effect was when Isiah brainfarted the inbound pass to Bird and DJ laid it in to beat the Pistons

it was better going from anquish and doom to celebrating for hours on end

15 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I see my memory was faulty.  They didn't get into FG range until that 18-19 sec mark.   I apologize to Marv.  I do see what you mean about the block, especially considering that defender made the tackle.  You can't tell from the video but apparently the Giants were blanketing the Bills receivers, forcing Kelly to run, which ate up more clock.  How about the refs jumping in to look at the McKeller catch?  Why didn't they put time back on the clock.  It hurt the Bills momentum.  They were ready to snap the ball. After the review, it took another 5 to 10 secs for them to get reset.  Could've been enough time for another play. The Bills also left time on the clock. Why not throw a quick out for another few yards instead of spiking it?

I think the Bills would have been better off if McKeller didn't catch that ball.  They only gained six yards but it ate up about 15 seconds.  That short gain did not warrant the time it took.

On 10/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, LSHMEAB said:

I'm just busting your chops. It's kind of a silly thread, but sometimes these threads can be fun.

In all seriousness, that definitely changed the course of the game, but there's literally nothing new that can be said about it.

The "4 Falls of Buffalo" had a great segment on it--Bruce and Thurman watching those replays and commenting on the flow of the game was a great behind the scenes account. Thurman would easily have been the game MVP had the kick made it through. Here's to hoping we get a future SB moment that we will actually want to re-live over and over in a good way. 

I just rewatched this game. It really was a great Super Bowl overall.

I think the key turning point was late in the 2nd quarter.

We were up 12-3 and moving the ball with no problem at all. We then decide to punt the Ball on 4th and 2 from the Giants 45 yard line. I really think we should've just went for it at that point. We had all the momentum and we're moving the ball easily. If we score a touchdown on that drive we'd go up 19-3 and put the Giants away... IMO punting the ball there turned the momentum back to the Giants.

Edited by Klaista2k

I've rarely watched any of it since, so I've forgotten they were at the Giants 46 with 48 seconds left and only got two more offensive plays off (and only gained 16 yards).  Lots of physical errors contributed to the loss, but that stands out as catastrophic mismanagement.

20 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

The Bills were clearly the better team, having dominated the Giants on their turf earlier that season. 99 out of 100 times the Bills win the that game. They were just nervous.

I don't think that's necessarily true that the Bills were clearly better.

At the end of the day the Giants played a great game and deserved to win the game.