Bruce Smith Safety in SB 25

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

the Patriots

Because the Bills' success, the rust belt became very fashionable once again, and steel plants and industry thrived.  It melted the ice caps quicker than imagined and a northern atlantic hurricane wiped out Boston

I guess Im kind of glad that ball didnt come out.

I assume that means the Dolphins just became shark food.

Yeah, they might've won it had it been a TD instead of a safety.

I think it's on that Four Falls of Buffalo 30 for 30 but they talk about it with Bruce and he said something like, "To this day I think about it. I still have no idea how he held onto that ball." 

And Leon Seals completely destroyed Hostetler on a play, hit him with a full head of steam and landed with all of his weight on him (Leon was not a small man, and this play would've caused a plethora of flags and fines if it happened today). It literally looked like Hostetler had been pressed into the ground, his head got turned to one side, his helmet was all jacked up, he laid there for a few seconds barely moving but got up. Seals says the same thing as Bruce, has no idea how the hell the dude got up from that. Seals has said he hit him with everything he had and the guy still got up. 

I dunno, musta just been destiny or fate or some BS cause it just seems to feel like the Giants were meant to win that one. Jerks.

But also... Marv and Jimbo needed to swallow their pride a bit on how to run the offense for that game. Giants played coverage all day, but at times there would be as few as two DL with their hand in the dirt. Thurman was eating their lunch but they kept throwing. They should've handed it to Thurm time and time again and then once the Giants stacked the box, that's when Kelly should've dialed up big shots down the field. In all seriousness, they should've wiped the floor with them but they wouldn't abandon the no-huddle and adjust. I'm sure it also didn't help that half the team was hungover.

12 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I would argue the Norwood was more important:thumbsup:

Ingram hopping on one leg with Bills draped all over on a key 3rd down

I'm sure Bavaro came through with a few soul-crushing extra efforts on key plays as well...

22 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

SB 25 we were favorites. But it seems as though we had no shot against those Cowboys & Skins teams. Is it fair to say we lose 9 times out of 10 vs said teams in the SB?

Bills went to the Meadowlands in December that year and beat Phil Simms, with Kelly getting injured, the only time in my 45 years as a fan it was indisputable the Bills were the best team in the NFL, until the SB flop

There was no reason in a million years that justify losing to Hostetler

15 hours ago, Success said:

I still don’t get why Belichek’s defensive game plan is in the HOF.

We didn’t even have the ball for 20 minutes and still scored 19.  It was Anderson’s running that won that game.

Yet they still could've won with that FG.  I don't blame Norwood.  I blame Levy.  They got in FG range with about a minute left but got too conservative and stayed at the edge of Norwood's range.  Getting another 10 or more yards would've been huge.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Yet they still could've won with that FG.  I don't blame Norwood.  I blame Levy.  They got in FG range with about a minute left but got too conservative and stayed at the edge of Norwood's range.  Getting another 10 or more yards would've been huge.

squeaking the O to the furthest distance of a decent kicker's range is not a winning strategy

i didn't for one second believe he was making that FG the whole time it took to set it up....

10 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Look no farther than Al Edwards re: the specific point you raise.

Go to the 1:57:58 mark and watch the receiver at the top of the screen trying and failing to sustain a block. If he sustains it, Thomas gets out of bounds and gets another 5 yards. 

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

squeaking the O to the furthest distance of a decent kicker's range is not a winning strategy

i didn't for one second believe he was making that FG the whole time it took to set it up....

Again, if effing Al Edwards sustains his block, the Bills have 18-19 seconds on the clock and are at the 25.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

SB 25 we were favorites. But it seems as though we had no shot against those Cowboys & Skins teams. Is it fair to say we lose 9 times out of 10 vs said teams in the SB?

I don't think so.  In SB 27, the Bills were in the red zone late in the first half down 14-10.  Kelly was knocked loopy and threw up a bad INT in the end zone.  Now with momentum, Dallas went for the jugular and scored 2 TDs before the half.  Had the Bills scored a TD before the half to make it 17-14, they would've had the momentum.

In SB 28, the Bills played very well to lead at the half.  With 3 prior Super Bowl losses, the Thurman fumble returned for a TD that tied the game  had an overwhelming deflating affect on the Bills.  Again, coaching and team leadership could've curtailed the meltdown but didn't .

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I don't think so.  In SB 27, the Bills were in the red zone late in the first half down 14-10.  Kelly was knocked loopy and threw up a bad INT in the end zone.  Now with momentum, Dallas went for the jugular and scored 2 TDs before the half.  Had the Bills scored a TD before the half to make it 17-14, they would've had the momentum.

In SB 28, the Bills played very well to lead at the half.  With 3 prior Super Bowl losses, the Thurman fumble returned for a TD that tied the game  had an overwhelming deflating affect on the Bills.  Again, coaching and team leadership could've curtailed the meltdown but didn't .

one of the Dallas games it was just a matter of time before the massacre started......  there was no doubt for one second at the final outcome

21 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Thanks for defending me. 89 is my favorite number. I was born in 93.

I kind of feared bringing this up may get a bad reaction. However, going to 4 straight SB's is still impressive.

if I recall correctly, after that play I had a gut feeling the bills were doomed to lose...and they did in heart breaking fashion.

many moons ago.

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Look no farther than Al Edwards re: the specific point you raise.

Go to the 1:57:58 mark and watch the receiver at the top of the screen trying and failing to sustain a block. If he sustains it, Thomas gets out of bounds and gets another 5 yards. 

Again, if effing Al Edwards sustains his block, the Bills have 18-19 seconds on the clock and are at the 25.

I see my memory was faulty.  They didn't get into FG range until that 18-19 sec mark.   I apologize to Marv.  I do see what you mean about the block, especially considering that defender made the tackle.  You can't tell from the video but apparently the Giants were blanketing the Bills receivers, forcing Kelly to run, which ate up more clock.  How about the refs jumping in to look at the McKeller catch?  Why didn't they put time back on the clock.  It hurt the Bills momentum.  They were ready to snap the ball. After the review, it took another 5 to 10 secs for them to get reset.  Could've been enough time for another play. The Bills also left time on the clock. Why not throw a quick out for another few yards instead of spiking it?

14 minutes ago, bbb said:

I haven't seen the play in a long time.  Why does everybody assume we would have recovered the fumble?  Was it all Bills around him?

of probably 20,000 sporting events I've watched, it's a top 10 moment of wonder.....

38:10

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I wish more fans would talk about it that way.  They were beyond his range - he was such a clutch, reliable kicker, and it’s a bummer that he’s remembered for wide right.

• Thank you (+1) 1