Bruce Smith Safety in SB 25

3 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

How big of a moment was Hostetler not fumbling the ball, and the Bills only getting a safety? Do you think they win that game if its a TD recovery? Whenever I watch the replay, I am in disbelief that he held on to that ball. It would've been 17-3 if Buffalo recovered it for a TD. It was 12-3, then Bills go three and out, before the Giants score a TD by Ingram.

The Giants would've had to go to a passing game down two touchdowns. Their bread and butter was milking the clock and rushing the ball. I don't see them faring well going toe to toe with Buffalo ( Passing wise).

Your thoughts?

Don't pay attention to the grumpy people on this board who think that it is not appropriate to post about the Bills' first Super Bowl on a Buffalo Bills message board.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Free Speech said:

I know it's the minority on this thread, but why do certain people insist on bashing what is a perfectly reasonable question?... The poster's handle includes 8989, maybe he was born in '89?!... Maybe he's a young Bills fan - again, asking a fair question - wanting to learn about the history of the team?... 

Thanks for defending me. 89 is my favorite number. I was born in 93.

I kind of feared bringing this up may get a bad reaction. However, going to 4 straight SB's is still impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Thanks for defending me. 89 is my favorite number. I was born in 93.

I kind of feared bringing this up may get a bad reaction. However, going to 4 straight SB's is still impressive.

If you fear bringing up legitimate Bills points and questions, then this board has a serious problem... Keep asking - ignore the bitter ones

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This ones on me. I know if I would have yelled louder at my TV for the kick to go in, it would’ve. 

Sorry guys- I was just a dumb teenager.... didn’t know any better. 

No, according to K. Davis you could not have counteracted the rotorwash from the helicopter.  I blame Saddam Hussein.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi5lvaElP3dAhXI7oMKHUN4Bk8QFjAAegQIDBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2607652-wide-right-25-years-later-a-super-bowl-so-much-larger-than-just-scott-norwood&usg=AOvVaw2SjqZ5HR2C40GdrgNfRqEm

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Hostetler not fumbling wasn't the big turning point. The turning point was Andre Reed dropping an easy first down over the middle on the Bills following drive (because of the safety the Giants had to kick it back to the Bills immediately). At 12-3 up and the Bills with ALL the momentum, if they go down and score then, the Giants wouldn't have come back, not with that offense. 

That game is just one long list of what ifs and should haves. If they'd given Thomas the ball more he would have ended up with about 250 yards rushing and about three or four TDs. 

Wow, 27 years ago. I still remember taking a dump at halftime as if it were yesterday.

back then all the toilets had a pull chain to flush them, didn’t they?

It would have resulted in a bills win.  They would have won another too.  Tom brady would never have decided to take up football.  The bills would have hit the bottom after polian resigned in the late 90s, but it would have been good timing as they would have picked payton manning with their pick.  Running the table in the afc north for almost 2 decades, and winning 3 more superbowls vs green bay, detroit, and montreal.  

Bills didn't completely have bad luck that whole day (although a lot if it).  There was that Lofton tipped pass he caught from Kelly that set up the first FG. 

I think the team was real lucky the cellphone age wasn't around back then.  Sounded like the guys were enjoying Tampa a little too much the week leading up to the game. 

5 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

How big of a moment was Hostetler not fumbling the ball, and the Bills only getting a safety? Do you think they win that game if its a TD recovery? Whenever I watch the replay, I am in disbelief that he held on to that ball. It would've been 17-3 if Buffalo recovered it for a TD. It was 12-3, then Bills go three and out, before the Giants score a TD by Ingram.

The Giants would've had to go to a passing game down two touchdowns. Their bread and butter was milking the clock and rushing the ball. I don't see them faring well going toe to toe with Buffalo ( Passing wise).

Your thoughts?

Your just thinking about this now? I'm pretty sure that those of us who watched that game have been thinking about it for the last 27 years.

The Giants needed that game to go a very specific way and somehow that happened. When you rewatch the first half of that game you realize the Bills could have won by 20+ points.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It would have resulted in a bills win.  They would have won another too.  Tom brady would never have decided to take up football.  The bills would have hit the bottom after polian resigned in the late 90s, but it would have been good timing as they would have picked payton manning with their pick.  Running the table in the afc north for almost 2 decades, and winning 3 more superbowls vs green bay, detroit, and montreal.  

I like your alternative timeline. Which team in that timeline moved to Montreal?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Success said:

Yeah - the non-fumble was enormous.  Higher score and they can’t run OJ Anderson for the first 10 minutes of that 2nd half.  

We probably win another SB or 2 also, and enjoy more peaceful and satisfied lives today.

Oh, well...

I have always wondered, what if they win that game, like many others. I believe if the Bills had won that one they wouldn’t have made it to four in a row. 

no guarantee buffalo recovers in the end zone there....even with a fumble, it could have ended in a safety.   There were so many critical plays in that game that all seemed to go the Giants way.  For me the inability of the Bills D to get off the field on third down is what I remember most.

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I like your alternative timeline. Which team in that timeline moved to Montreal?

I would think the Dolphins

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

the Patriots

Because the Bills' success, the rust belt became very fashionable once again, and steel plants and industry thrived.  It melted the ice caps quicker than imagined and a northern atlantic hurricane wiped out Boston

I guess Im kind of glad that ball didnt come out.