Long Time Fan Calls Out The Buffalo Bills In Obituary

52 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I thought it was also a part of the classic Steve Goodman song "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request," who sadly died at age 36, 14 days before he was scheduled to sing the National Anthem at the Cubs first playoff game (or luckily since they were dispatched of pretty quickly in the playoffs). However, my memory was off, but it still has much of the similar sentiment and style of humor....

Such a great song and what a great artist. He did leave us way too soon. To this day when I pick up my Gibson or Taylor I will play “you don’t have to call me darlin’, darlin’!   I can also do “the city of New Orleans” but don’t do it so often. I need to teach myself “talking backwards” which is such a great song. Amazing lyrics and amazing humor.’

And, the obituary was awesome even if it wasn’t original. Well done and rest in peace bills fan.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

“Just one before I die”

Poor fella..

Meantime,  I ain’t getting any younger...

...yup...me neither....hopin' for at least ONE Lombardi before I head off the "Hell's Kitchen"........they say reception sucks, four Verizon cell towers wilted and LCD's melt before halftime...WTF?............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, COTC said:

Omg. How pathetic. 

Really? Can't it just be funny? I appreciate someone who can tell a joke at an otherwise bleak occasion.  

30 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...me neither....hopin' for at least ONE Lombardi before I head off the "Hell's Kitchen"........they say reception sucks, four Verizon cell towers wilted and LCD's melt before halftime...WTF?............

Hopefully that jackass from Sprint who used to be from Verizon will get there first to test the signal for you.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Let's hope it's not the wide receivers.

Post of the week for TSW.  Everyone just start reading, no further posts allowed.  ?

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

As I've said before, you'll be so busy renewing acquaintances with most of us, you won't have time for (dropped) cell phone calls.

Whenever someone dies that clearly had "just one before I die" in their vernacular I feel emotional and a little sad.  It's just a game, and I'm able to distinguish that quite easily, but for those who can't... I feel their pain.

I'm no longer in Buffalo, but as a whole it's inhabitants have no sense of understanding what it feels like to be a national champion.  Any championship our city has gets a giant asterisk for being something not nearly as big as the Stanley Cup or Lombardi.

If we do end up winning a championship in my lifetime I fear that it will not live up to the expectations. It will feel like, "...now what?".  I may even lose a tiny bit of my identity.  I'm not even sure I'll be as die-hard, as the chase to win the big thing is the drug that keeps me coming, and once it's been quelled I doubt it will ever feel the same.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, fridge said:

Whenever someone dies that clearly had "just one before I die" in their vernacular I feel emotional and a little sad.  It's just a game, and I'm able to distinguish that quite easily, but for those who can't... I feel their pain.

I'm no longer in Buffalo, but as a whole it's inhabitants have no sense of understanding what it feels like to be a national champion.  Any championship our city has gets a giant asterisk for being something not nearly as big as the Stanley Cup or Lombardi.

If we do end up winning a championship in my lifetime I fear that it will not live up to the expectations. It will feel like, "...now what?".  I may even lose a tiny bit of my identity.  I'm not even sure I'll be as die-hard, as the chase to win the big thing is the drug that keeps me coming, and once it's been quelled I doubt it will ever feel the same.

That's not how drugs work.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's not how drugs work.

In pop culture the term is called, Chasing the Dragon.

A metaphorical use of the term "chasing the dragon" refers to the elusive pursuit of the ultimate high in the usage of some particular drug.

Also, I spent a little bit of time trying to articulate that thought and actually felt a little choked up typing it. It's always nice to see a completely dismissive response with absolutely no merit come in immediately.  Never change TSW. Never change.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, fridge said:

Dude. That was a dark place you just brought us.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not Bills related, but I've never understood why people take such painstaking measures planning the final resting place for their corpse.

When I'm gone, I'm gone.

True. The planning in advance can actually be to take a burden off those remaining who are in grief and don't need yet another stressful decision to make and execute after their loved one is gone. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

My character and resiliency is as strong as oak thanks to getting let down most of my life by the Buffalo Bills

I really appreciate how they got me used to heartbreak at a young age... good lesson to learn

It really does make you a different breed. I remember when the browns fan did it a few years ago. I wanted to steal it if the Bills continued to lose for the rest of my life. 

Hopefully they don't. One Superbowl is enough for me.

Edit- I'm seeing a lot of posts in this thread about sports place in life, and how depressing it is. I get it, I usually lead that train.

It's just a joke in my opinion. Would you rather make people laugh or cry in the last memories of you? I personally would choose laugh, and I'm pretty confident that was his aim.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

I am at an age, where with my health issues, I really don't know how many years I have left.  I really, really hope I get to see one Super Bowl win for my Bills.  No, I won't use that line in my obituary when it happens.  It's cute though.