RB Prospect Talk

DCOrange

The McCoy rumors and the "Anthony Johnson or Bryce Love?" thread got me thinking more about the RB prospects, so much like how we have a WR Prospects thread, I thought I'd create one for RBs.

Curious to see who people like so far.

A few of the guys I have my eyes on:

Damien Harris - Media seems to see him as the #1 RB in the class now that Montgomery and Rodney Anderson both got hurt. I'm not sure he's the best RB prospect personally, but he does offer a pretty varied skillset, and given his connection to Daboll and his scheme fit, I could easily envision Buffalo targeting him with their early 2nd round pick if he makes it there. He ironically kinda reminds me of a young Chris Ivory with some Kareem Hunt in there too. Seemingly always falls forwards, willing blocker, pretty good hands out of the backfield, and nice vision and patience but seems to lack the burst that you'd ideally look for and also doesn't seem to really make people miss/run through them and keep going very often.

Karan Higdon - For now at least, I think he should be in the discussion for the best RB prospect. Explosive as hell and feisty; he kinda reminds me of Ronald Jones from last year. I want to see how Higdon does this year against the better Big 10 teams. He had a good showing vs. Maryland but Michigan hasn't really gotten into the heart of their schedule yet.

Matt Colburn II - Probably a Day 3 pick at the moment. Doesn't have the production that you'd ideally want, but he looks like a good all-around back to me. Kinda reminds me of Doug Martin coming out of Boise State.

Darrell Henderson - He is putting up other-worldly numbers so far this year. 156 rushing yards per game on just under 12 yards per carry, and another 30 receiving yards per game on 20 yards per catch and 14 TDs in 6 games. Memphis uses him as a traditional RB as well as a Wildcat QB. Only listed at 5'9" but he's a pretty thickly-built dude ala Maurice Jones-Drew at 200 lbs and he's pretty explosive too.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have so many needs that I don't see them using a second round pick or higher on a back. Even it the Bills do trade McCoy and get a second (a deal I would make) those picks higher round picks will be used for the DL, OL and receiver positions. It seems to me that a good back can be had in the third round. That's the direction I would prefer to take. 

23 hours ago, DCOrange said:

The McCoy rumors and the "Anthony Johnson or Bryce Love?" thread got me thinking more about the RB prospects, so much like how we have a WR Prospects thread, I thought I'd create one for RBs.

Damien Harris - Media seems to see him as the #1 RB in the class now that Montgomery and Rodney Anderson both got hurt. I'm not sure he's the best RB prospect personally, but he does offer a pretty varied skillset, and given his connection to Daboll and his scheme fit, I could easily envision Buffalo targeting him with their early 2nd round pick if he makes it there. He ironically kinda reminds me of a young Chris Ivory with some Kareem Hunt in there too. Seemingly always falls forwards, willing blocker, pretty good hands out of the backfield, and nice vision and patience but seems to lack the burst that you'd ideally look for and also doesn't seem to really make people miss/run through them and keep going very often.

In a way, Damien has reminded me of Thurman Thomas for a long time. Now before anyone screams I am talking about style, not hall of fame ability.

Damien isn't "great" at anything but he has some speed, is strong, is a great blocker, can catch, has very nice hands, is VERY smart, and for a kid with glasses, has a knack for seeing a hole.

Again, he doesn't have super speed and he isn't close to being as strong as Derrick Henry, but he has a fairly quick first step.

He would be a fantastic draft choice, but (imo) not in the first round. RBs lack importance these days.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

Get back to me in a few months. I'm still taking a lap from being a Phillip Lindsay truther :D

Do you have a propensity to gloat after the fact? Or are you a genuine prescient prognosticator who sees what others don't see? If you are prescient should I hold or sell my plummeting stocks? :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Do you have a propensity to gloat after the fact? Or are you a genuine prescient prognosticator who sees what others don't see? If you are prescient should I hold or sell my plummeting stocks? :ph34r:

My victories are few and far between, I like to enjoy them. I'd keep the stocks though.

On the RB front (to stay on topic), I'm probably going to like Benny Snell Jr from Kentucky. I'm a sucker for contact balance in a running back.

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

My victories are few and far between, I like to enjoy them. I'd keep the stocks though.

On the RB front (to stay on topic), I'm probably going to like Benny Snell Jr from Kentucky. I'm a sucker for contact balance in a running back.

I know why you like contact backs: Because you are a bruiser who likes to mix it up with other combatants. :devil: You can get a good back after the first two rounds. We have critical deficits that need to be addressed first. 

As far as the stocks go I intend to hang on. But trust me there is going to be an adjustment period when the market and economy adjust to the unavoidable economic cycle. What you see now is not what you will see later. The cycle of life and the cycle of the economy are realities that can't be avoided. When you have a $1 Trillion deficit in a full employment economy what do you think the deficit is going to be in a downturn?  A little sugar is not bad for you but a mountain of sugar is damaging. 

Edited by JohnC

Perine from Florida looked impressive against LSU

"The Gators are back. With a win over a top-five team in LSU, Florida is looking like the real deal under the direction of first-year coach Dan Mullen. It wasn't easy, but the Gators' 27-19 win over the Tigers took a ton of grit, and no one on the team embodied that grit better than running back Lamical Perine. For that reason, Perine rightfully earns hardest-working player in the SEC honors in Week 6.

Every time Florida needed a big play against an incredibly stubborn LSU defense, Perine produced one. "

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-running-back-lamical-perine-shines-as-the-hardest-working-sec-player-for-week-6/

On 10/10/2018 at 9:27 AM, DCOrange said:

Karan Higdon - For now at least, I think he should be in the discussion for the best RB prospect. Explosive as hell and feisty; he kinda reminds me of Ronald Jones from last year. I want to see how Higdon does this year against the better Big 10 teams. He had a good showing vs. Maryland but Michigan hasn't really gotten into the heart of their schedule yet.

Matt Colburn II - Probably a Day 3 pick at the moment. Doesn't have the production that you'd ideally want, but he looks like a good all-around back to me. Kinda reminds me of Doug Martin coming out of Boise State.

Darrell Henderson - He is putting up other-worldly numbers so far this year. 156 rushing yards per game on just under 12 yards per carry, and another 30 receiving yards per game on 20 yards per catch and 14 TDs in 6 games. Memphis uses him as a traditional RB as well as a Wildcat QB. Only listed at 5'9" but he's a pretty thickly-built dude ala Maurice Jones-Drew at 200 lbs and he's pretty explosive too.

I really like the Henderson kid. He's a jr. I believe and maybe that's why he's not showing very high on most prospect lists. Could be a steal later in the draft. If he declares for the draft.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:27 AM, DCOrange said:

Well this aged well.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/30/matt-colburn-has-a-little-doug-martin-in-him/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.