The Ghost of Rex: Hughes dropping into Coverage?

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

You dont get it because you dont have a solid grasp on defensive concepts and schemes.

The Bills do not blitz a lot, but instesd use simulated pressure quite a bit. They threaten Double A gap blitzes and drop out, they blitz a corner or safety and have Hughes drop out into coverage, they usually rush 4 players but its not always the 4 you think are coming. That causes confusion and blocking assignment errors by the offense. It also allows them to play coverage behind it with 7 players.

So yes, there will be times when Hughes drops into coverage. Why? Because to truly be effective the scheme has to have players coming from all over. If Hughes always is rushing then the scheme becomes less effective overall since the offense can always account for what he will be doing.

This is not just a Bills thing. Most teams run some version of a zone blitz, some more than others and in different ways but let's not pretend this is something we are the only ones running.

100% accurate

7 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone else pick up on this? The last few weeks, Hughes has occasionally dropped into coverage. Most notably, it happened this past week on a key third down and we brought three. I don’t get why we take our best pass rusher and put him in a position where he can’t utilize his most dangerous talent. 

Because you can run a bluff zone blitz... every QB looks for Hughes pre snap on our line...

when he drops it confuses the QB for a second because he is not expecting the primary rusher to drop...

you send a linebacker or a slot corner off the opposite edge on backside pressure hoping to get to the QB quick 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

By unnecessary, I meant that in this case specifically, it didn't really cost the team. If the OP has a problem with it, then it's obviously a warrented discussion to them. I just don't understand why you would criticise something that's really not a big deal, in this case and in general. Hughes dropping in this scheme isn't an exact replica of Mario in Rex's scheme.

Maybe my comment was a but snarky/poorly worded...sorry OP. 

OP just confirms he doesn't understand what he is watching. /Thread

7 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone else pick up on this? The last few weeks, Hughes has occasionally dropped into coverage. Most notably, it happened this past week on a key third down and we brought three. I don’t get why we take our best pass rusher and put him in a position where he can’t utilize his most dangerous talent. 

Thats absurd. Rex needs to be fired for this! 

For all you that like to pile on, I clearly stated in the OP I don’t get why they were doing that. Thanks for those that weren’t condescending or unnecessarily pompous in their response,  but simply answered the question being asked. 

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

OP just confirms he doesn't understand what he is watching. /Thread

Thanks, I understand quite a bit. Wasn’t up to speed on this quite like the football god you are. I can now sleep easy tonight. 

Everyone already said it, but let me pile on: Jerry Hughes ABSOLUTELY should be dropping into coverage every now and again. Trent Murphy, too. 

As a matter of fact....has anyone asked Hughes if he can play wide receiver?

What's the issue again?

Guys on D covering guys?

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Everyone already said it, but let me pile on: Jerry Hughes ABSOLUTELY should be dropping into coverage every now and again. Trent Murphy, too. 

As a matter of fact....has anyone asked Hughes if he can play wide receiver?

Vrabel had 10 career receptions----all for TDs.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1