The Ghost of Rex: Hughes dropping into Coverage?

Anyone else pick up on this? The last few weeks, Hughes has occasionally dropped into coverage. Most notably, it happened this past week on a key third down and we brought three. I don’t get why we take our best pass rusher and put him in a position where he can’t utilize his most dangerous talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone else pick up on this? The last few weeks, Hughes has occasionally dropped into coverage. Most notably, it happened this past week on a key third down and we brought three. I don’t get why we take our best pass rusher and put him in a position where he can’t utilize his most dangerous talent. 

You ever hear of Ron McDole; if not he was a very good pass rusher and also grabbed more interceptions than any lineman in NFL history! 

Simple - because Hughes is athletic enough to do a zone Blitz concept to force an offense to scheme to block one way and then bring the pressure opposite or drop extra into coverage confusing the QB.

The issue was not Hughes dropping into coverage- it was Dareus and Mario dropping into coverage because they are not athletic enough if the pressure does not get home. Even then teams utilize the zone blitz scheme and drop unexpected guys into coverage all the time - you need actual pressure to make it work though.  Under Rex the Bills got little pressure and therefore the zone Blitz packages are less effective.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've seen Murphy on coverage as well (IIRC against Minny), some plays you blitz the LB and the DE will vacate his spot to defend the pass. Sometimes both will go after the QB.

For it to be a problem, maybe, you don't have to like the coach.....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Every coach has done that with him since he's been here. He's actually decent at it.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Is this not a discussion board?

But Hughes dropping isn't an issue. If it happens 5-10 times per year, and it isn't hurting the team, why does it matter?

Discussion is one thing, criticising unnecessarily is another.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree, I hate seeing Hughes drop. I get the argument that he's athletic enough to do it but just about every good NFL qb will be licking his chops seeing a d-linemen drop into coverage. If NFL qbs have the ability to diagnose all different schemes, they certainly aren't going to be confused when they see a DL drop. They'll most like attack a man who lacks in coverage skills like mariota tried to.

1 minute ago, billsfan223 said:

I agree, I hate seeing Hughes drop. I get the argument that he's athletic enough to do it but just about every good NFL qb will be licking his chops seeing a d-linemen drop into coverage. If NFL qbs have the ability to diagnose all different schemes, they certainly aren't going to be confused when they see a DL drop. They'll most like attack a man who lacks in coverage skills like mariota tried to.

To the contrary, Zone Blitzes are an effective change up in an overall defensive game plan when utilized properly.  DCs have to vary how they play against opposing offenses.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

For the record we did not only rush 3.  McD and Frazier will send a LB or DB instead and drop a DE (Murphy or Hughes) on these dialups.  btw, Hughes and Murphy have played OLB in a 3-4 and can drop as both are very athletic.  

If Star or Jordan Philips drop, that's a Rex call.

57 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

But Hughes dropping isn't an issue. If it happens 5-10 times per year, and it isn't hurting the team, why does it matter?

Discussion is one thing, criticising unnecessarily is another.

It’s more like at least 5 times per game.  

Still not a big issue, but he’s our best pass rusher by a mile.  I prefer to see him rushing the passer on 3rd down.

One time he dropped in coverage on a third and long and the pass was completed to the guy in his zone. We blitzed a cb or safety on the other side but they didn't get to the qb in time. I'd rather have Hughes straight rushing in this situation.