A few thoughts about the Titans game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think that'd be a great fit, but cfl contract?

that was just to illustrate the point, I know he's under contract with a CFL team.

I would rather field a team of Naamans or Stevies than have a guy like Benjamin jogging to the spot of the next play.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We need to figure out something on offense.  --  I think it's premature to be calling for Daboll's head.  He's new.  He has minimal talent surrounding a very green rookie QB.  All I've wanted from the beginning of the season is for the players to stay healthy and to see weekly progress from Josh Allen.  So far, I think we've seen that.

going back to harping on using a 2 back set out of the shotgun....and maybe mix a little chan in the game plan.  allen has the best fake i've seen since boomer.

with a 2 back set and a great fake he can put more on allen's shoulders and let him react a little more.  there's so many options out of that line up, i think it would be unstoppable.

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

6 - Wide Receivers - Benjamin should be cut.  I like Zay Jones and I still think the kid's gonna be great.  But if he's our best WR next year, Beane will have failed in the offseason.  Oh ... and Benjamin should be cut.

I agree, cut Benjamin, feature Zay more on offense. Sign Gillislee back, put McCoy at WR in some packages. Be creative, Ivory and McCoy at the same time on the field. You can use the same plays with Dizzy and Murphy.

We're playing with 10 men on the field at times.

For your number 1- Rolling out is a safe bet for a mobile, raw QB. He wont have to go thru progressions in the pocket behind a crummy O Line. Maybe the plays were not “successful” but our young gun slinger didn’t take a beating this game! To me, that is a success in itself. We turned the ball over 1 time- off of a tip. In no way am I a huge Daboll fan but if you play good D and dont turn the ball over you stand a good chance for the W. With such a lack of talent on offense, we cant fully evaluate Daboll yet either. 

Anyways, a really nice, well written post as usual- thank you.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

1 - Daboll - I'm not going to get this out of the way now.  This guy is a nightmare to me.  No, I don't know the read progressions or other nuances of what's supposed to happen, but there were so many things obvious from the stands about why he is setting up this team to fail.  First off, they ran the same play with zero success at least 3 times where Allen rolls out to his right with dump off passes in front of him and the TE drags across the field.  It was covered every single time.  Then, after the refs messed up a quick snap play, they run a throw-away play on 3rd and long.  On that same drive, we used two time outs because we couldn't figure out what we were doing.  On one of the timeouts, DiMarco was lined up at WR.  Are you kidding me?!    I also can't understand the QB keeper on 3rd and long.  You take away the turnovers that setup field goals and our TD that was a broken play, I don't know what our offense was doing today.  However, he does get credit for calling the game winning drive.

For those who want to talk about talent, let me remind you of Gailey.  We were fantastic on offense for a while there with Stevie, Nelson, Jones, Freddy, and Fitz.  You telling me that those guys were better than what we have now?  It's not talent.  There's much bigger problems here.  

3 - Phillips - I'm sorry, where the hell did this guy come from?  This dude was in the backfield quite a bit and then running all over the field to get the fan hyped up.  I don't know what they showed on TV, but he was running behind the qb after plays jumping up and down trying to get the fans into it.  It was fantastic.  Great pickup this past week and great to see him integrate so quickly.  His teammates loved it.

4 - I don't tip, I don't believe in it. She don't make enough money she can quit. I don't tip because society says I have to, I'll tip if someone really puts forth the effort. Tipping automatically is for the birds....She only filled my coffee cup 3 times, I want it filled 6 times.

1) We were terrific with Fitzy? Acceptable, maybe. Terrific? Not even close. Which year were we terrific with him? The year his TD/INTs were 9/10? The year he was 23/15? The 24/23 year? Or his last here, when he was 24/16? The year his passer rating was 69.7? Or the one after that when he was 81.8? Or the next, 79.1? Or the final one when he soared to 83.3?Terrific is way way overstating it. 

Yeah, having Fitzy instead of Allen is a major advantage. Hopefully as Allen improves, yeah, that changes, but right now if you someone holds a gun to your head and says, "Win the game or I shoot you," you yank Allen for Fitzy every single time.

Same with Stevie Johnson. Stevie was hard to call plays for because he wanted freedom to go whichever way he wanted after his fake, but he was open a lot.

So you're saying that the Fitzy-Stevie offense was decent and that proves ... what? They did have better personnel than we have now, at QB in particular.

3) Yeah, I didn't see Phillips coming either. Looks like a brilliant pick.

4) OK, I see it's a scene. But it's an obnoxious sentiment anyway.

Edited by Thurman#1

Way too many Bills fans here have never seen Reservoir Dogs. I hope they're not all watching Dirty Dancing and Sleepless in Seattle 

Just now, Dr. K said:

After I read #4 I stopped reading. You are an ass. 

Oh my lord. Even if you haven't seen the film surely you must wonder why a guy would talk about tipping in the middle of a long Bills post!

I kinda want to quote Sam Jackson's "pigs are filthy animals" bit from Pulp Fiction but I'm afraid I'll get all the animal rights activists after me. 

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

By that logic, wouldn’t it suggest that either Allen or Daboll is a total failure then?

I just believe that a good coach generates a scheme to compensate for talent. Look at San Fran’s offense right now.  

SF's scored 17 and 20 offensive points in the past two games. Plus one Pick-six but the offense doesn't get credit for that, obviously. Two TDs and two INTs each of Beathard's two games.

I don't think SF's compensated all that well. 

And yeah, the Bills offensive roster does indeed look pretty close to a total failure right now. It's hard to judge Daboll with this group. Now that they've got a defense, a QB and some salary cap space next year, I'll expect them to bring in some decent guys to surround Allen with. That and learning from this year will hopefully improve things.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Way too many Bills fans here have never seen Reservoir Dogs. I hope they're not all watching Dirty Dancing and Sleepless in Seattle 

Oh my lord. Even if you haven't seen the film surely you must wonder why a guy would talk about tipping in the middle of a long Bills post!

I kinda want to quote Sam Jackson's "pigs are filthy animals" bit from Pulp Fiction but I'm afraid I'll get all the animal rights activists after me. 

I saw Reservoir Dogs. I thought it sucked.

Pulp Fiction was much better. 

10 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Classic TBD overreaction.......

And then we have those irrelevant things called stats.......Bills under Daboll play calling game averages.  Total Pts=12.6 (32nd), Total Yds=221.2 (31st), Passing Yds=121 (32nd), Rush Yds=99 (20th).....oh forgot.....opponents Pass Yds are double ours.

To date AND to prove my statement that he is the worst OC in the league (at this time) Daboll needs to get with the program and get the kid airing it out. He doesn’t attack but plays ‘not to lose’.....sheesh our opponents don’t even need a safety.

Edited by RFL
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buftex said:

#4 makes you kind of a dick.

As for the rest, agree about the lack of use of Clay and McCoy...but I am not writing off Daboll just yet.  I like some of what I see from his game plan...I will give them a season to see how things pan out. I do like some of the screens that they have been running...use guys on the roster, you may find out that they aren't as talentless as is percieved.  

Uh uh, I don’t tip. No, I don’t believe in it. … Don’t give me that, if she don’t make enough money she can quit. … I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, I mean I’ll tip if someone really deserves a tipping, if they really put forth the effort, I’ll give them something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. I mean as far as I’m concerned they’re just doing their job. … She was okay. She wasn’t anything special. … Look I ordered coffee all right? Now we’ve been here a long !@#$in’ time, she’s only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee I want it filled six times. … The words “too !@#$in’ busy” shouldn’t be in a waitress’ vocabulary. … Jesus Christ, these ladies aren’t starving to death. They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn’t lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip worthy. … You know what this is? It’s the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses. … So is working at McDonald’s but you don’t feel the need to tip them do you? Well why not? They’re serving you food. But no, society says don’t tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That’s bull ****. … !@#$ all that. … I mean I’m very sorry the government taxes their tips. That’s !@#$ed up. That ain’t my fault. I mean it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups the government !@#$s in the ass on a regular basis. I mean show a piece of paper that says the government shouldn’t do that, I’ll sign it, put it to a vote, I’ll vote for it, but what I won’t do is play ball. And this non-college bull **** I got two words for that: learn to !@#$ing type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big !@#$ing surprise.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RFL said:

And then we have those irrelevant things called stats.......Bills under Daboll play calling game averages.  Total Pts=12.6 (32nd), Total Yds=221.2 (31st), Passing Yds=121 (32nd), Rush Yds=99 (20th).....oh forgot.....opponents Pass Yds are double ours.

To date AND to prove my statement that he is the worst OC in the league (at this time) Daboll needs to get with the program and get the kid airing it out. He doesn’t attack but plays ‘not to lose’.....sheesh our opponents don’t even need a safety.

Please explain exactly how Daboll is playing "not to lose."  Honor us with more of your wisdom.

11 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

Daboll is working with a rookie QB, horrible OL, and one of the worst WR groups in the league for some time.  His playcalling is conservative by design.  We ran 3 bootleg TE drags bc that’s one play Allen runs well in practice, I’m sure.

this isn’t the preseason... we aren’t trying to just let Allen run the big boy plays and see what happens so he gets a feel for it... WE ARE TRYING TO WIN THE GAMES!

unfortunately for the fans, what winning the games means in McDermottville is controlling the ball, not turning it over, and grinding out Ws.  Its not sexy, and everyone wants a fun and gun, but It’s literally the same formula from last year...

When the experience level, and talent level improve, they will take the training wheels off.  Until then, get used to this offense and play calling... it’s how the coaches think we have the best shot to win currently.... and based on last Sunday, it’s hard to argue with them.

I agree.  Daboll does not have much to work with, and this last game at least they ran the ball.  I know the offense is terrible, but the defense is looking sharp.

My guess is we are going to run as much as possible, and try to win with defense.  We can hopefully load up on offense next year and be a contender.

2 minutes ago, Generic Screen Name 2 said:

Please explain exactly how Daboll is playing "not to lose."  Honor us with more of your wisdom.

Stats don’t lie.  If you or I had ‘numbers’ like his with performance at work, how would that work out?  As stated, he needs JA to air it out, we need him to develop.  The interceptions will come yes, but so will some big plays.....especially now.  First play in Houston should be a bomb (not to KB) Pass game sets up a better rush game, we have no pass game. KB cant get separation down the sideline he runs like a TE... he needs more crossing patterns. 

18 minutes ago, RFL said:

Stats don’t lie.  If you or I had ‘numbers’ like his with performance at work, how would that work out?  As stated, he needs JA to air it out, we need him to develop.  The interceptions will come yes, but so will some big plays.....especially now.  First play in Houston should be a bomb (not to KB) Pass game sets up a better rush game, we have no pass game. KB cant get separation down the sideline he runs like a TE... he needs more crossing patterns. 

You have no idea what you're talking about.  How can he "air it out" without a single WR that can outrun the defense?  Foster might have wheels but he can't catch a cold.  Daboll runs plenty of crossing patterns.  Are you blind?

Yes, stats don't lie.  But they don't tell the whole story either.  You're going to have to do better than that.

Edited by Generic Screen Name 2

10 minutes ago, Generic Screen Name 2 said:

You have no idea what you're talking about.  How can he "air it out" without a single WR that can outrun the defense?  Foster might have wheels but he can't catch a cold.  Daboll runs plenty of crossing patterns.  Are you blind?

Yeah, I don’t know a thing about football.....Lets say we agree to disagree. Look I know Daboll is playing a ball control game, rookie QB, no burners at WR, but if our D didn’t play lights out and get turnovers we lose that Titans game. Green Bay shutout.....opponents D dont have a hard time drawing up a game plan against us, and was my point. BTW.....20/30 vision without my wisdom glasses.

3 minutes ago, RFL said:

Yeah, I don’t know a thing about football.....Lets say we agree to disagree. Look I know Daboll is playing a ball control game, rookie QB, no burners at WR, but if our D didn’t play lights out and get turnovers we lose that Titans game. Green Bay shutout.....opponents D dont have a hard time drawing up a game plan against us, and was my point. BTW.....20/30 vision without my wisdom glasses.

Again, how is this all Daboll''s fault?  How does this make him the worst OC in the league?  You, like so many others here, are so unbelievably quick to throw people under the bus, but you have no basis for your overreactions.  You just want to sound like you know everything. 

12 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Here come more people who can't handle criticism of the offense but i too was at the game and it is well deserved. Daboll is very uninspiring, Benjamin is a bum,  and this is the only reason I suggested possibly seeing what can they get for McCoy.  I said possibly (just see what you might could get). This team is no threat whatsoever with this offense so may as well plan ahead if you can

Unfortunately, while trading McCoy would be good for Shady, nothing is going to help the Bills offense with the current coaching staff.