A few thoughts about the Titans game, in no particular order

Virgil

41 minutes ago, npeartisgod said:

Oh.My.God! 

Every week this guy guy includes a pop culture quote, and it is usually a Grateful Dead lyric. The tipping bit is Steve Buscemi in Resevoir Dogs.

Neil Peart is not god

some say Clapton was though.

I preferred Ginger Baker

i disagree about a couple things from our Beloved Virgil.

but i think he just had too many baked bean over the weekend  :  ))

42 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'd comment, but I'm already on to Houston.

business meeting ?

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Sorry to disappoint. That was Bill’s thing. I did  Dave, BNL, and this year I went quotes.  Just trying to find new ways to make it different 

A part of me wants to add the quotes, but it’s fun to watch people react to it as if it were my words 

Dire Wolf might have played better. from Workingman's Dead

just a thought. in a box of rain

• Like (+1) 1

I dug it.

200.gif

The jury is still out on Daboll, as far as I'm concerned.

He has some plays and formations and motions in the playbook that are LIGHT YEARS ahead of what the Bills have had in recent years, which is to say: they're modern. They're 2018 NFL passing concepts. He also had a head-scratching gameplan against Green Bay and underused Shady in weeks 1-4 in general. So there's that.

The big thing for me, though, is that it's hard to tell if the playcaller is calling good plays if the players -- the QB, in particular -- can't execute. Now yes, you'd be correct in saying it's the job of the offensive coordinator to call plays that the quarterback CAN execute. Well, that's just it: Daboll is finding out -- along with all of us watching at home -- on a week-to-week basis what Allen can and can't execute. "Well Daboll should be able to tell that from practice!", you might say. Well...sort of. Executing in practice and executing in a live game setting are two different things (just ask Nathan Peterman!). So yes, the OC needs to set the QB up for success. He can only do so much, though (hence the half-field reads and simplified playcalls for Allen this week). Allen showed against Green Bay that he couldn't execute the more nuanced passing concepts, full-field reads, and RPOs with effectiveness, so Daboll curtailed the gameplan and it did just enough against the Titans to eek out a victory.

The bottom line is this: An OC can only do so much. The players still have to execute the plays. We have MULTIPLE position groups not executing on various plays. The offensive line, the wide receivers, the quarterback. Until such time as I get to see Daboll's gameplan in action with even a SEMBLANCE of NFL-caliber talent at the skill positions, I am unable to make a sound judgement. Until then, he just has to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, which is what he did this week against the Titans.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

1 - Daboll - I'm not going to get this out of the way now.  This guy is a nightmare to me.  No, I don't know the read progressions or other nuances of what's supposed to happen, but there were so many things obvious from the stands about why he is setting up this team to fail.  First off, they ran the same play with zero success at least 3 times where Allen rolls out to his right with dump off passes in front of him and the TE drags across the field.  It was covered every single time.  Then, after the refs messed up a quick snap play, they run a throw-away play on 3rd and long.  On that same drive, we used two time outs because we couldn't figure out what we were doing.  On one of the timeouts, DiMarco was lined up at WR.  Are you kidding me?!    I also can't understand the QB keeper on 3rd and long.  You take away the turnovers that setup field goals and our TD that was a broken play, I don't know what our offense was doing today.  However, he does get credit for calling the game winning drive.

Can't argue this.  On the other hand, there are signs of progress.  Dunno how closely you looked, but in our 4 previous games, I saw the same run blocking schemes that weren't working run Over.  And Over.  And Over.  Again.  At least this time, he came up with some different ideas, based on the blocking that worked well last week.

For those who want to talk about talent, let me remind you of Gailey.  We were fantastic on offense for a while there with Stevie, Nelson, Jones, Freddy, and Fitz.  You telling me that those guys were better than what we have now?  It's not talent.  There's much bigger problems here. 

My answer to "you telling me?" is actually - Yes.  I'm not telling you that Fitz is in any way as gifted an athlete as young Allen, and for all I know, Allen may be just as smart or smarter than Fitzy.  Allen seems to have that "It" factor that draws teammates to bond with him, as well.

But at the point where Chan and Fitzy and the offense were starting to click right along - the second half of 2010 say - Fitzy was a 6 year veteran on his 3rd team.  He'd played for 3 different OCs, he'd started 23 games (before 2010).  He'd had 2009 and the off-season to throw to Stevie and Nelson and the rest of them.

So yes, at the point where he and Gailey were clicking along, those guys were better - not because they were better athletes (they weren't) but because at QB, experience matters, game time matters, time watching film matters, and at WR, time spent practicing and playing with the QB matters.  And the guy at QB right now spent most of the summer playing behind, taking snaps from, and throwing to guys who aren't on the team.

In 2010, we still had Lee Evans on the team.  There's a reason Stevie J was the 1000+ yd guy: he and Fitzy had been playing catch all offseason and all previous season on the Scout team. 

7 - Running game/Offensive Line - This was easily the best week for our offensive line and rushing attack.  Allen had time to throw and we got a majority of our 3rd and short rushing yards.  There were solid holes and Shady looked quick as ever.  Ivory was a perfect change of pace back who bruised the defense.  If not for these two factors, I don't think we are winning this game.

That was the plan.  "Root Hawg or Die": put it on the OL and say 'We win or lose on you.  It's in your hands."

It will be interesting to see how next game goes, but right now I'm feeling Gailey >>> Daboll as an OC.  And I don't feel Gailey as an OC.

And if Beane trades away our best offensive player I'm going to be some blend of disappointed and furious.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I dug it.

200.gif

He has some plays and formations and motions in the playbook that are LIGHT YEARS ahead of what the Bills have had in recent years, which is to say: they're modern. They're 2018 NFL passing concepts. He also had a head-scratching gameplan against Green Bay and underused Shady in weeks 1-4 in general. So there's that.

The big thing for me, though, is that it's hard to tell if the playcaller is calling good plays if the QB can't execute. Now yes, you'd be correct in saying it's the job of the offensive coordinator to call plays that the quarterback CAN execute. Well, that's just it: Daboll is finding out -- along with all of us watching at home -- on a week-to-week basis what Allen can and can't execute. "Well Daboll should be able to tell that from practice!", you might say. Well...sort of. Executing in practice and executing in a live game setting are two different things (just ask Nathan Peterman!). So yes, the OC needs to set the QB up for success. He can only do so much, though (hence the half-field reads and simplified playcalls for Allen this week). Allen showed against Green Bay that he couldn't execute the more nuanced passing concepts, full-field reads, and RPOs with effectiveness, so Daboll curtailed the gameplan and it did just enough against the Titans to eek out a victory.

The bottom line is this: An OC can only do so much. The players still have to execute the plays. We have MULTIPLE position groups not executing on various plays. The offensive line, the wide receivers, the quarterback. Until such time as I get to see Daboll's gameplan in action with even a SEMBLANCE of NFL-caliber talent at the skill positions, I'll be ready to make a judgement. Until then, he just has to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, which is what he did this week against the Titans.

fine post

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

I think you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of what's been happening.  Daboll is nothing short of a disaster and it worries me because this is now McD's second whiff on installing adequate leadership on the offensive side of the football.  I scratched my head when he was hired and I am still doing it 5 games into the season.

I don't agree with you on Allen.  He looks like he has the talent of an NFL-caliber quarterback unlike Losman, Edwards, EJ, Tyrod, etc.  However, he is in desperate need of a quarterbacks coach that can sit with him, break down his mechanics and his reads, and point out what's happening and what needs to be fixed.  We should be seeing shots of the sidelines with him talking to the coaching staff and I haven't seen a lot of that yet this season.  I think Allen can successfully develop if they get the right staff in there to develop him properly.  Otherwise yes, I fear that his talent will be wasted.

TL/DR: We need an offensive coaching staff that can use the talent they have to its maximum potential.  Daboll and company seem woefully inadequate at this task.

I love how you add the tl/dr fwiw. 

Nips trolls in the bud before they even have the chance.

I dont always agree with these, but it sets and example of how to be critical and not sound like a tool doing it. 

So much bickering over pessimism and optimism but the reality is there wouldnt be such a gap in thought and things could actly be discussed without everything turning into a s#!+ show as things seem to inevitably go.

Now that there are so many more 'casual' fans here (even if they arent aware of it) things get silly. 

Ok, im about to flat out bust this soap box - so i better get down:)

Edited by gobills1212

Daboll is the worst OC in the league.....hands down.  He plays 60’s football.  You have to ATTACK and try to score.  Daboll calls a timid game trying not to lose.....like those World Cup Soccer teams, playing for a tie hoping they can win in a OT shoot out.

Edited by RFL

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

I dug it.

200.gif

The big thing for me, though, is that it's hard to tell if the playcaller is calling good plays if the players -- the QB, in particular -- can't execute. Now yes, you'd be correct in saying it's the job of the offensive coordinator to call plays that the quarterback CAN execute. Well, that's just it: Daboll is finding out -- along with all of us watching at home -- on a week-to-week basis what Allen can and can't execute. "Well Daboll should be able to tell that from practice!", you might say. Well...sort of. Executing in practice and executing in a live game setting are two different things (just ask Nathan Peterman!). So yes, the OC needs to set the QB up for success. He can only do so much, though (hence the half-field reads and simplified playcalls for Allen this week). Allen showed against Green Bay that he couldn't execute the more nuanced passing concepts, full-field reads, and RPOs with effectiveness, so Daboll curtailed the gameplan and it did just enough against the Titans to eek out a victory.

The bottom line is this: An OC can only do so much. The players still have to execute the plays. We have MULTIPLE position groups not executing on various plays. The offensive line, the wide receivers, the quarterback. Until such time as I get to see Daboll's gameplan in action with even a SEMBLANCE of NFL-caliber talent at the skill positions, I am unable to make a sound judgement. Until then, he just has to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, which is what he did this week against the Titans.

By that logic, wouldn’t it suggest that either Allen or Daboll is a total failure then?

I just believe that a good coach generates a scheme to compensate for talent. Look at San Fran’s offense right now.  

47 minutes ago, RFL said:

Daboll is the worst OC in the league.....hands down.  He plays 60’s football.  You have to ATTACK and try to score.  Daboll calls a timid game trying not to lose.....like those World Cup Soccer teams, playing for a tie hoping they can win in a OT shoot out.

Classic TBD overreaction.......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

By that logic, wouldn’t it suggest that either Allen or Daboll is a total failure then?

I just believe that a good coach generates a scheme to compensate for talent. Look at San Fran’s offense right now.  

The San Francisco example proves my point perfectly!

Kyle Shanahan coordinates that offense. He got the job because he was a good OC for the Falcons. Prior to that, though, he was the OC for the Browns, where his offense ranked 27th in points scored. Not so good. Why? Vastly inferior talent.

I do think good coaches can generate schemes to compensate for talent, but you can only keep the smoke and mirrors going for so long. To use your other example of Gailey: How did that work out long term? Once opposing teams figured out Gailey's gameplan, did he adjust and win a bunch of games with the Bills, or did he and Fitz get fired? And to KEEP going off of that example, Fitz at that time was a FAR more capable QB than Allen is now. I'm not saying Allen won't improve, but RIGHT NOW? Not so good. Extremely limiting to an offensive play caller. Given Allen's current deficiencies, in fact, I would argue that the type of game Daboll called against Tennessee is EXACTLY the type of offensive gameplan the Bills need to use right now to win football games.

Edited by Logic

Was waiting for your post - ended up putting my thoughts from going to the game in another thread - re-posting here

- Have to say that during warm-ups the team was as animated as I have ever seen them – esp the defense.  It gave me a good feeling going into the game

- Allen’s TD run to top off that first drive was crazy – you just had the feeling right then that the offense was just going to go off the rest of the game…   At that point I never would have thought we would not see the EZ again the rest of the game

- Jordan Phillips was extremely hype between plays all game – don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so animated during a game.  There was a series where he was making plays then going crazy exhorting the crowd between them and I was thinking - my God, it’s going to be hard for the coaching staff to take him off the field, and when they do is he going to F-bomb them?

- At the game we all thought at the time the botched FG was a mishandled snap and nothing more – it wasn’t until we were driving home that we heard on the radio the whole fake FG theory – took us completely by surprise

- The improvements to the area inside the club section to reduce congestion were well done!

- During halftime Bojangles and Hauschka were trying punts.  BJ was in obvious pain every time he caught the ball and kicked.  I was thinking it might be a disaster in the 2nd half if the snap wasn’t perfect because it looked like he couldn’t lift his one arm at all, and if the snap went high or off to the side at all I didn’t think he’d be able to field it.  Also was worried about him being able to hold the snap for FG – made the drama on the last kick even greater for me.  Hauschka BTW had some damn fine punts – I thought for sure he would be punting in the 2nd half, with the way BJ was in such obvious pain every kick

-  The turnovers were huge in the game.  It will be hard to always have to count on multiple turnovers a game to win - hopefully the rest of the team can contribute more in the future.  

- The drop in the EZ by the Titans WR was so huge – was nice to see some plays go the Bills way

- Was great seeing players come over and stand up for Allen on the late hit on the sidelines – thought for sure they would end up getting a flag but bonus that they didn't go over the line to get penalized 

- On the last kick I could barely watch, and as the kick was on it’s way and it was hard to see if it was actually going to go through, and this guy behind me yells “He missed it!” and I just completely sank for a second OMG

- Taron Johnson is playing through an obviously painful injury.  At one point he left the field with his arm just dangling at his side and I thought for sure he was done for the day – then the next time I notice him later in the game he is flying down the field making a hit on a kick return.  Kid is a warrior

- After the game both Shaq and Fred Jackson were at the airport on my son's flight out.  He got a pic with each of them at the gate  :)   Nice ending to a day with a nice win

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Family weekend in Buffalo and didn't bring the laptop, hence the late posting.  Was happy to see the game in person and really see the entire field.  Some guys really shined, others....not so much

1 - Daboll - I'm not going to get this out of the way now.  This guy is a nightmare to me.  No, I don't know the read progressions or other nuances of what's supposed to happen, but there were so many things obvious from the stands about why he is setting up this team to fail.  First off, they ran the same play with zero success at least 3 times where Allen rolls out to his right with dump off passes in front of him and the TE drags across the field.  It was covered every single time.  Then, after the refs messed up a quick snap play, they run a throw-away play on 3rd and long.  On that same drive, we used two time outs because we couldn't figure out what we were doing.  On one of the timeouts, DiMarco was lined up at WR.  Are you kidding me?!    I also can't understand the QB keeper on 3rd and long.  You take away the turnovers that setup field goals and our TD that was a broken play, I don't know what our offense was doing today.  However, he does get credit for calling the game winning drive.

For those who want to talk about talent, let me remind you of Gailey.  We were fantastic on offense for a while there with Stevie, Nelson, Jones, Freddy, and Fitz.  You telling me that those guys were better than what we have now?  It's not talent.  There's much bigger problems here.  

The no name brigade cared. They were balls to the wall every snap,  even if their overall talent level was subpar. Even Woods, Hogan and Goodwin were the same way. You see Benjamin and Holmes with their nonchalant attitude towards the play, the snap, the route. 

You can't win consistently with these guys. 

Bring back Naaman....

1.   All my thoughts, exactly.    I literally got a nauseous feeling seeing DiMarco go wide.........a gut sinking flashback to Sam Gash motioning out wide 10 times per game.    And the rolls to the right.......it was too easy.    How about having the TE on the right side flop and get up and go to the left for a wide-open target once in a while?   That frickin' tired ol' trickery still works,  Allen has the arm to make the throw and it would help keep the defense honest going forward.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

Thanks OP,

Having watched Alabama win Championships at the college level using the same formula of a run heavy ball control O and good Defense what Daboll is trying to establish makes sense to me. Josh Allen also fits the Bill with his running ability. 

Allen led the league in sacks with 18 in the 1st quarter of the season. Something had to change. I would also like to point out a more experienced Nate Peterman was supposed to be running the O and it should not surprise anyone Daboll has had to scale back a little on the rookie. A feeling out process is in the works.

Myself personally, I loved the win, thought it was something to build on, and tip my cap to McD and his coaching staff for a job well done. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can't argue this.  On the other hand, there are signs of progress.  Dunno how closely you looked, but in our 4 previous games, I saw the same run blocking schemes that weren't working run Over.  And Over.  And Over.  Again.  At least this time, he came up with some different ideas, based on the blocking that worked well last week.

My answer to "you telling me?" is actually - Yes.  I'm not telling you that Fitz is in any way as gifted an athlete as young Allen, and for all I know, Allen may be just as smart or smarter than Fitzy.  Allen seems to have that "It" factor that draws teammates to bond with him, as well.

But at the point where Chan and Fitzy and the offense were starting to click right along - the second half of 2010 say - Fitzy was a 6 year veteran on his 3rd team.  He'd played for 3 different OCs, he'd started 23 games (before 2010).  He'd had 2009 and the off-season to throw to Stevie and Nelson and the rest of them.

So yes, at the point where he and Gailey were clicking along, those guys were better - not because they were better athletes (they weren't) but because at QB, experience matters, game time matters, time watching film matters, and at WR, time spent practicing and playing with the QB matters.  And the guy at QB right now spent most of the summer playing behind, taking snaps from, and throwing to guys who aren't on the team.

In 2010, we still had Lee Evans on the team.  There's a reason Stevie J was the 1000+ yd guy: he and Fitzy had been playing catch all offseason and all previous season on the Scout team. 

That was the plan.  "Root Hawg or Die": put it on the OL and say 'We win or lose on you.  It's in your hands."

It will be interesting to see how next game goes, but right now I'm feeling Gailey >>> Daboll as an OC.  And I don't feel Gailey as an OC.

And if Beane trades away our best offensive player I'm going to be some blend of disappointed and furious.

Agree with most of this. To the bolded part, anyone else recall in 2010 Gailey stating that QBs Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm, and Fitz were all about equal going into training camp and Chan chose Edwards as his starter. Then found out how bad Edwards was once the games started he was outright cut after two games.

Gailey was lucky as hell that Fitz was even on the roster because he had as much insight into who should be the starter over those three QBs as any lame OC ever in the league. It was all Ryan Fitzpatrick who literally ran for his life each week until Nix found Urbik, Pears off the waiver wire. Fitz ran the ball 40 times that year for 269 yards, a 6.7 YPC average. The team had Lynch, Spiller and Jackson at RB. Traded away Lynch after four games I believe and he was averaging 4.4 YPC. Spiller 3.8, Fred 4.2. 

Spiller was another byproduct of Gailey's stupidity as he named Spiller the starting RB that season because Lynch had a leg injury and Freddie had a cast on his hand. Game one against Miami we all found out that Spiller couldn't find a hole, couldn't block, couldn't run a route. How does this happen on an NFL team? Anyway Spiller finished the day with 7 attempts rushing for 6 yards, 5 targets, 4 rec for 8 yards. 

When all was said and done after the Buffalo Bills losing 8 straight games in 2010. While the Bills did give the Chiefs and Ravens a scare in OT and all because Fitz started finding Stevie Johnson and Lee Evans in Gailey's smoke and mirror scheme. A five WR spread set and usually Stevie seeing the ball the majority of the time. Stevie wasn't a precise route runner but Fitz would find him almost always open right away with a quick pass and this worked almost against everyone. 

Later on Spiller would also find some great success running out of the shotgun in Gailey's spread formation mostly because the offense is spread across the field, so is the defense and usually the RB had only one defender to beat for a big run. 

Anyway, Fitz would get to the line, look over the defense and call the proper protections because he knew from experience what he was looking at. Both Edwards and Brohn couldn't do that and Gailey didn't know that. so yeah, to the bolded second part. 

Daboll should be setting up an offense for a rookie QB that also doesn't know what he is looking at when he sees a defense giving him a disguised look. Instead he has been asking him to set/throw like he is a seasoned veteran that has reliable receivers with a line that can hold pass blocks for three seconds. 

Finally, after watching this rookie QB flounder in three games attempting to make Daboll's passing scheme work. The Bills made the run game work with 43 attempts for 144 rushing yards and Allen scoring the only TD of the day by running it. It really was great to see how much more effective Allen could be in a run oriented scheme, particularly on that game winning drive. Not that he was great all game as it's just that he made two needed first down throws on that final drive. 

Going forward, Allen should do much better with a run first scheme where play action will be much more successful and where the rookie QB can pick and chose his passes. Provided of course that Daboll doesn't revert to his pass first scheme once the team gets behind in points again. 

Gailey would also do this time and time again by putting the entire game on Fitz's shoulders once the team got behind in points and most of the time even with all his experience/ knowladge Fitz couldn't pull it out. Some of the Buffalo Bills Franchise biggest blowout losses came this way 3-45 Win by SF, 17-50 Win Seahawks in 2012. Hence the best Gailey ever did as a Bills HC was 6-10. 

Add heartbroken for me to the blend disappointed and furious.

1 - Daboll - I've been critical of Daboll since the season started.  But I thought he responded nicely to McDermott calling him out in the media last week.  The Bills needed to establish/commit to a run game; they did that.  He called a nice game vs. the Vikings.  Let's see if he can do it two games in a row.

2 - Milano - Agree.  Love the kid.

3 - Phillips - The pumping the crowd up was great to see.  Fans love when Tre White does it and they loved when Phillips did it.

4 - I don't tip, I don't believe in it. She don't make enough money she can quit. I don't tip because society says I have to, I'll tip if someone really puts forth the effort. Tipping automatically is for the birds....She only filled my coffee cup 3 times, I want it filled 6 times. - Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

5 - Allen - Going back to point #1, I think the gameplan was a perfect one for a rookie QB who's been (perhaps) thrust into a starting role prematurely.  I was disappointed to see him miss a couple short passes, but overall, I was very pleased with his decision making.  He protected the ball, he only took one sack and he rushed for our only TD.  Low yards don't bother me unless the lack of a passing game is the reason we lose games.  His low passing yards didn't lead to a loss and the Bills led for nearly the entire game.  I'm cool with it.  BUT .... I won't be as cool with it when he's no longer a rookie.

6 - Wide Receivers - Benjamin should be cut.  I like Zay Jones and I still think the kid's gonna be great.  But if he's our best WR next year, Beane will have failed in the offseason.  Oh ... and Benjamin should be cut.

7 - Running game/Offensive Line - A+.  They did their jobs.

8 - Defensive Tackling - Missed tackles definitely made the day more difficult for themselves; it was frustrating.

9 - Clay - I think this has a lot to do with having a rookie QB.  But, again, we need better next year.

10 - Bojorquez - This dude sucks.  Special teams, other than Haushka, suck.  Our return games suck.  Our tackling sucks.  But Bojorquez ... he really sucks.

We need to figure out something on offense.  --  I think it's premature to be calling for Daboll's head.  He's new.  He has minimal talent surrounding a very green rookie QB.  All I've wanted from the beginning of the season is for the players to stay healthy and to see weekly progress from Josh Allen.  So far, I think we've seen that.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

The no name brigade cared. They were balls to the wall every snap,  even if their overall talent level was subpar. Even Woods, Hogan and Goodwin were the same way. You see Benjamin and Holmes with their nonchalant attitude towards the play, the snap, the route. 

You can't win consistently with these guys. 

Bring back Naaman....

i think that'd be a great fit, but cfl contract?