How often do "project" quarterbacks work out?

Klaista2k

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And gone down hill ever since.  He's a great example of the second tier "franchise QB" which I define as decent QB's had 1 or 2 very good years, get paid top franchise $$ once their rookie contract is over, but once they're paid that amount, not enough money left to field a top level team around them.  Some QB's Rodgers, Fauve, Brady Manning, Brees are good enough that they can take decent talent around them and still keep the team at the top level.  But guys like  Wilson, Newton, Flacco, Daulton, etc don't have enough talent for the money they earn.

?????????

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I only know about Bills players post 1990 and every one except Kelly was a project, so....100% bust.

Your answer is 100% bust.

Flutie and Bledsoe and Orton were good QBs that were past their prime and/or genetically incapable of winning an NFL playoff game

As someone stated earlier, Brett Favre is the ultimate example. In recent years, starters that were former “projects” in the draft were Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Tannehill.

Tannehill is what it looks like when a project QB improves significantly from their rookie year but ends up having a lower ceiling than initially projected.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fridge said:

As someone stated earlier, Brett Favre is the ultimate example. In recent years, starters that were former “projects” in the draft were Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Tannehill.

Tannehill is what it looks like when a project QB improves significantly from their rookie year but ends up having a lower ceiling than initially projected.

Atlanta had a QB already and Glanville hated Favre.

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

“Project”?

i know of at least one labeled a project who has made it, at least so far.

Patrick Mahomes.

You mean a QB who has all the physical tools, that just needed to put the game together mentally? Someone who got a chance to sit, watch game tape, and recognize different defensive coverages over the course of a year? A QB who was surrounded with talent before he was put in the starting lineup? What good could that do? I mean.. (“Either he has it, or he doesn’t” right?) Watch him bailing on plays early, because he feels pressure that isn’t there. Because the line almost got him killed on numerous occasions. I’m not saying that he could be what we’ve been waiting for.. but putting him in a position without means to succeed, DEFINITELY isnt doing him any favors in his progress. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think two of the more successful recent project type quarterbacks are Big Ben and Joe Flacco. Both small school guys with big arms who people had a lot of concerns about in terms of how their skills, footwork etc might translate to the NFL. Ben fell a bit in the draft and Flacco was drafted higher than people thought he would be. Cam Newton was mentioned in this thread. Also I know most people dislike Kaepernick, but he was a pistol offense project that took his team to the Super Bowl and probably would have had a better career if he had Allen's level of commitment to the game. 

Many have failed...the Bollers, Leafs, Lockers, Gabberts, Losmans of the world. But I really do feel like Allen's love of and commitment to the game will more than likely lead to him fixing the issues that are present in his game.  

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think two of the more successful recent project type quarterbacks are Big Ben and Joe Flacco. Both small school guys with big arms who people had a lot of concerns about in terms of how their skills, footwork etc might translate to the NFL. Ben fell a bit in the draft and Flacco was drafted higher than people thought he would be. Cam Newton was mentioned in this thread. Also I know most people dislike Kaepernick, but he was a pistol offense project that took his team to the Super Bowl and probably would have had a better career if he had Allen's level of commitment to the game. 

Many have failed...the Bollers, Leafs, Lockers, Gabberts, Losmans of the world. But I really do feel like Allen's love of and commitment to the game will more than likely lead to him fixing the issues that are present in his game.  

Ben R was the most obvious Hall of Famer I saw play in college, there was no problem with his abilities.

all the yahoos laughing at him while his outmatched college team lost at huge stadiums are still clueless about what makes a real NFL QB.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Ben R was the most obvious Hall of Famer I saw play in college, there was no problem with his abilities.

all the yahoos laughing at him while his outmatched college team lost at huge stadiums are still clueless about what makes a real NFL QB.

I 100 percent agree with you, but he was still considered a project coming from a spread offense at a small school. His numbers were out of this world good. 

23 minutes ago, fridge said:

I don't think Wilson was a project. He was polished. He just lacked ideal measurables. That isn't a project to me.

Tannehill yep, absolutely a project who has "worked out" in that he is an NFL level QB but yea, limited ceiling.

Flacco and Ben came out before I watched any college football or paid real attention to the draft so I can't comment. 

I get the OP's question but according to some in the NFL, every college QB is a project.  That's why the success rate of even 1st rounders is so disappointing.  They all have stuff to learn & improve and it's hard to predict which ones will get better in the NFL and which won't.  

Projects aren't drafted in the first round ... let alone the top 10.

If a team drafts a QB in the first round, then said team believes that QB WILL BE the starter in the future.

Sometimes, those picks are reaches and sometimes they're just bad/stupid picks.  But that still doesn't make the player a project.  Any GM who takes a "maybe" in the first round, frankly, is an idiot.  (the Tebow pick comes to mind)

Nathan Peterman was a project pick.  The jury is still out on .... ha .... I'm just kidding!   Obviously, that project didn't pan out.

Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Tom Brady - those are projects who worked out beautifully.  Dak Prescott?  Maybe.

Josh Allen is not a project.  Patrick Mahomes is not a project.  Most people who label draft picks as "projects," simply don't like the pick.  I think the term is thrown around loosely and incorrectly.

Most GMs aren't picking a QB in the first round if that QB is a "maybe."  As far as this year's first round QBs go, the only one close to being a "project," is Lamont Jackson.  In my opinion, that was either a horrible pick, or they drafted him thinking he's going to be a gadget player and not their next starting QB.

10 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I think the image most people have in their minds for what is meant by project QB is someone with all of the physical skills necessary and mental acuity necessary to be an NFL QB, but who is also clearly understood not to be ready to start in the NFL due to the level of his college experience or issues with mechanics. 

Exactly!

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Wilson was a project. He was polished. He just lacked ideal measurables. That isn't a project to me.

Exactly. It was his height that caused teams to hesitate to take a chance on him. It was the lack of that ideal measurable that caused him to drop in the draft. He was not a project, but a gamble due to his height. He quickly proved he could overcome the lack of height and compete in the NFL at a high level.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would argue that ALL QB's coming out of college are "projects".  There are some that are bigger projects because they may have more to work on, but just because you are a top tier prospect does not mean you are not a project.  The success rate of all players of all grades or all positions is always less than 50%.  They are all projects, but media and "gurus" like to over use words, so things like "project" is now reserved to guys who people are less certain about.  But make no mistake, every QB and every player for that matter taken in any draft at any slot is a "project".  There is a LOT they need to learn, master, and get better at to succeed in the NFL long term.  

Agree 100%.  Every QB is a "project" on some level.  They just come with different starting points.

Some need to have their mechanics tweaked.  Some may need a complete overhaul.

Some come from pro-style offenses.  Some need to learn it from scratch.

Josh Allen came out needing lots of work on his mechanics and accuracy.  He also came from a small school, and didn't see much high-level competition.  On the other hand, he did come from pro-style offense, which gave him experience navigating a pocket and going through multiple reads on a defense. 

So while Allen may be a bigger project than someone like Josh Rosen (big school, excellent throwing mechanics, pro-style offense), he was far-ahead of someone like Cardale Jones (who pretty much needed to learn the quarterback position from scratch).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Agree 100%.  Every QB is a "project" on some level.  They just come with different starting points.

Some need to have their mechanics tweaked.  Some may need a complete overhaul.

Some come from pro-style offenses.  Some need to learn it from scratch.

Josh Allen came out needing lots of work on his mechanics and accuracy.  He also came from a small school, and didn't see much high-level competition.  On the other hand, he did come from pro-style offense, which gave him experience navigating a pocket and going through multiple reads on a defense. 

So while Allen may be a bigger project than someone like Josh Rosen (big school, excellent throwing mechanics, pro-style offense), he was far-ahead of someone like Cardale Jones (who pretty much needed to learn the quarterback position from scratch).

nah, some came right from college ready to roll, their only problem was going to a crummy team that got their draft rights

there is a steep learning curve to the pros

and the fact that most top colleges refuse to run an O that is close to a real NFL badly skews our view as to who should be great in the NFL, take the Bama QB this year, he can't run that stuff against men

Best Way is go team by team and see:

AFC East 

1. Patriots - Brady - The NFL didn't know a 6th Round Pick would be the GOAT. Pretty quickly showed he was no project because of his accuracy and ability to choose the open man.

2. Dolphins - Tannehill - Somewhat a project. Converted college WR. Has been an average NFL QB. Does not look like a Super Bowl caliber QB.

3. Jets - Darnold - Blue Chip prospect. 

4. Bills - Allen - Project from a small conference with mediocre college production.

AFC North

1. Steelers - Roethlisberger - Project? He dominated the MAC and immediately became the starter in Pittsburgh. Not a project. 

2. Ravens - Flacco - Deleware St, I'd say a project QB. Had the one great Playoff run that resulted in a Super Bowl win.

3. Bengals - Dalton - Not a project. Was a winner in college and has been steady in the NFL.

4. Browns - Mayfield - Not a project. #1 Overall. 

AFC South

1. Colts - Luck - Not a project. #1 Overall. 

2. Titans - Mariota - Not a project. #2 Overall. 

3. Jaguars - Bortles - #3 Overall pick, but close to a project? 

4. Texans - Watson - #12 Overall, definitely not a Project. Won a National Title over Alabama, almost won a 2nd over Alabama.

AFC West

1. Chargers - Rivers - Not a project. #4 overall in 2004 Class.

2. Raiders - Carr - Huge college numbers, not a project. First Rounder.

3. Chiefs - Mahomes - Project? I don't think so, he was a 10th overall pick, huge college production, massive arm. Biggest question was Air Raid offense to Pro.

4. Broncos - Keenum - Project. Career Backup who had great season last year in Minnesota and is getting his crack at starting full-time.

NFC East

1. Giants - Manning - #1 Overall, son of Archie Manning, brother of Peyton Manning. Not a project.

2. Eagles - Wentz - Shaky first season, then exploded onto the scene. Not sure if he was a project coming in, most analysts liked him.

3. Redskins - Smith - #1 Overall, early career disappointment, but has been steady for years now. Not a project. 

4. Cowboys - Prescott - Maybe a project. I always thought in college he was more of a running QB, but took command of the Cowboys quickly. 

NFC North

1. Packers - Rodgers - Tedford QB was the biggest knock, but not a project. 

2. Lions - Stafford - Not a project, #1 overall pick from SEC school. 

3. Bears - Turbisky - #3 overall, but only one year in College. Call him a project. 

4. Vikings - Cousins - Mid-Round pick, but a well rounded prospect coming out of school. Not a project QB.

NFC South

1. Saints - Brees - First pick of the 2nd Round I believe, a early career disappointment, not a project. 

2. Panthers - Newton - #1 Overall, dominant college career, not a project.

3. Buccaneers - Winston - #1 Overall, but shaky decision making and maturity in college. Call him a project, but was a National Champion in college, so not a project on talent.

4. Falcons - Ryan - Not a project. 

NFC West

1. Seahawks - Wilson - Seen as too small by Buddy Nix and other 31 teams. Call him a project. 

2. Rams - Goff - #1 Overall - Not a project. 

3. Cardinals - Rosen - Polished passer, not a project. 

4. 49ers - Garrapolo - Small school prospect, was going to continue sitting in New England. Call him a project. 

So out of 32 starting QBs, I'd say 9 were projects coming into the league. 

Definitely Worked

Wilson (HOFer), Flacco, Wentz

Too Early but looks like they can play in the NFL, we could parse this group down again to likely Super Bowl winner or not. 

Winston, Garrapolo, Turbisky, Prescott

Probably Not  

Tannehill, Keenum and if you want to include Bortles, although he has been to AFC Title Game and his statistics are not atrocious. 

Way too early

Allen, but would defy all scouting logic 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Josh Allen, and QBs like Josh Allen.

Reaches at the draft.

I think that's what he's getting at.

The only problem with this is Josh was not a reach

15 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Projects never work out, because QB's that work out shed the project label.  If your QB is still a project midway through year two, he's cooked.

Thats perfect

We should def wait till year 2 to start throwing definitions of rookie qbs

• Like (+1) 1