How often do "project" quarterbacks work out?

Klaista2k

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To help discussion, can you provide a bit more detail about what you mean by "project" QB?

Josh Allen, and QBs like Josh Allen.

Reaches at the draft.

I think that's what he's getting at.

Edited by Fadingpain

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To help discussion, can you provide a bit more detail about what you mean by "project" QB?

That is going to be tough to define.  How about QBs who required significant improvements in some areas when they were drafted?  It’s tough though since many sat. Did Aaron Rodgers need that time on the bench, or was he just stuck behind a great QB?  Or how about Goff.  He had a bad first year and is blossoming in his second, but he did not seem to have a lot of flaws needing fixed when he came out. But it still took him that time to put it together.  Dunno.  Good question. 

So although this is just another troll thread (great just what we needed) - I will say since every QB drafted since the beginning has not played in the NFL - all QBs are projects and so any that you consider successful by whatever measure you would like fits the answer.

In realistic terms - the QB that just became the all time leading passer was a 2nd round project.  The guy in third Farve was a 2nd round project.  There are a bunch of Super Bowl winners and Hall of Famers that were 6th round or later and several UDFA’s including guys that were bagging groceries.

Therefore if your question is really about project QB’s - there are a ton of very, ultra successful projects.  If you really mean that JA sucks and this FO should be gone which seems to be your current mission - I saw wait and give it time because many QBs get better after 4 games.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

How often do these young quarterbacks that  are considered "projects" actually pan out?

Do they usually bust or is there a lot of examples of guys that have actually worked out?

I only know about Bills players post 1990 and every one except Kelly was a project, so....100% bust.

Your answer is 100% bust.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So although this is just another troll thread (great just what we needed) - I will say since every QB drafted since the beginning has not played in the NFL - all QBs are projects and so any that you consider successful by whatever measure you would like fits the answer.

In realistic terms - the QB that just became the all time leading passer was a 2nd round project.  The guy in third Farve was a 2nd round project.  There are a bunch of Super Bowl winners and Hall of Famers that were 6th round or later and several UDFA’s including guys that were bagging groceries.

Therefore if your question is really about project QB’s - there are a ton of very, ultra successful projects.  If you really mean that JA sucks and this FO should be gone which seems to be your current mission - I saw wait and give it time because many QBs get better after 4 games.

This is exactly what the OP means. There are a handful of posters on this board - two of them in this thread - who have been on this crusade since Allen has been drafted...

• Like (+1) 2

There have been many qbs who were drafted early in the first round and turned it around after putrid starts.  Alex Smith stats from year one make Allen look like Tom Brady.  Bradshaw was drafted #1 overall and took him 5 years before he threw more tds than ints.  Steve Young was putrid till year 6 and that doesnt count his USFL years. Drew Brees was not very good till year 4. Eli was horrible year one. 

• Like (+1) 2

Not often, but then again, how often does the "all the tools" college QB work out?

You hear the Farve comparison come up a lot (came from a odd college offense, made most of his plays outside the system, great arm and physical traits) but I think Jimmy G. is a recent example of a project that could work out.

Not sure Allen qualifies as a project.   Most every scout had him in there with the top 4 QBs coming out.   Hopefully he's Ben Rothlisberger and not David Carr.  I like the run run and play defense approach.  Exactly what the Stillers did with Ben 15 years ago when he was a "project".   Boring for the fans, but it worked.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

22 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Josh Allen, and QBs like Josh Allen.

Reaches at the draft.

I think that's what he's getting at.

So what is a reach at the draft.  An early first round pick that was in the mix to go #1 overall?  A guy taken 3rd, 7th, 10th, 32nd, 2nd round, 3rd round.  

Every QB drafted this year needs work and are reaches for different reasons.  All of them struggled and only 1 started the season as a starter.

Again you can troll all you want, but JA is no more of a reach than any of the other QBs drafted - they all need work and we will know if 3-4 years if any or all of these guys will work out.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Great post Rochesterfan, they are out in numbers!

Just now, Fadingpain said:

Ya think he means Josh Allen?

Maybe?

He's asking for examples of how often "project" QB pan out, and whether they usually bust out or are there examples that work out.

So he's obviously asking a general question that goes beyond Josh Allen.

Remembering Threads Past and the endless Sturm und Drang expended debating who was, or who wasn't, a "franchise QB" - seemed like much if not most of the debate resolved around different, but unstated, definitions of "franchise QB"

Seems like it would help a lot to understand what is meant by "project QB"

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

So what is a reach at the draft.  An early first round pick that was in the mix to go #1 overall?  A guy taken 3rd, 7th, 10th, 32nd, 2nd round, 3rd round.  

Every QB drafted this year needs work and are reaches for different reasons.  All of the struggled and only 1 started the season as a starter.

Again you can troll all you want, but JA is no more of a reach than any of the other QBs drafted - they all need work and we will know if 3-4 years if any or all of these guys will work out.

Another good post!

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Every QB drafted this year needs work and are reaches for different reasons.  All of them struggled and only 1 started the season as a starter.

This is not true.  Jared Goff and Wentz "worked out" year 2.  Derek Carr "worked out" year 2.  Russell Wilson "worked out" year 1.