The Drop by Nick Williams against the Bills Costs Him His Job - Signing with the Rams with Kupp Injured

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Stating the obvious here but it's pretty likely they win the game if he catches it. But for everyone posting how great our Defense has been, the grain of salt is if you take away the turnover differential (which is mostly just the ball bouncing our way), we were one play away from losing that game due to a drop in coverage. Top 10 defenses have that happen, but not with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter in a game where we know our offense likely won't put up more than 3 points a drive.

Mistakes happen.  Look at Bojorquez and the botched FG attempt or Holmes' muffing of a perfect pass leading to an INT and FG.  That's 6 points right there.

45 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

As it is for every team on  most fumbles and some interceptions. You don’t think the ball bounced the Titan’s way on the interception? And all defenses, even top 10 defenses, benefit from dropped passes, overthrown receivers, penalties, or some other mistake negating a big play/touchdown almost every game - even at the end of a game.

Never said it didn't, it bounces both ways every game. But all I'm saying is before we go parading our defense, let's have a bit more efficacious data to work with and see how they perform in games where we can't force turnovers like we have in the Minnesota and Tennessee games. I think our Defense is really solid and has plenty of upside, but all I'm saying is we should slow down on that train and wait and see how they perform moving forward external of the crazy amount of turnovers.

It's a catch-22 because it's not like I want to see less INTs, fumbles, etc. Just saying grain of salt.

42 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't think it's obvious at all. Plenty of time to drive the field and score. Assuming the d keeps it all underneath, the movement up the field is very doable and it comes down to whether or not the Bills can push it in. 

I'm also not sure why you would take away the turnover differential as turnovers are part of the game, and the turnovers are often a result of disciplined defense and aggressive tackling. To me, that's like saying if you take away the winning field goal we lose. Or, if you take away the pass rush perhaps Mariotta has a better day. 

The defense played well. Who knows, maybe they got in William's head in the first 55 minutes of the game and he was concerned about securing the ball if he was hit from a crazy angle. 

Could we have driven the field and put up more than 3 points? Absolutely. It's possible just wasn't likely given how the game was going, but yes, still possible. 

And I'm not removing the turnovers from the evaluation - quite the contrary. I responded separately to this effect in that we should at least wait a couple more weeks for some efficacious data to provide a better sense of how good this D is. I personally think our defense is solid and has tremendous upside. We've seen this since our opener and week 2 games. But before we start parading around our defense, let's see how they perform outside of the turnovers, or in games where we can't force any INTs, fumbles, etc. It's absolutely part of the game and I love seeing it, but all I'm saying is don't start the train too early/take what you've seen with a grain of salt.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Mistakes happen.  Look at Bojorquez and the botched FG attempt or Holmes' muffing of a perfect pass leading to an INT and FG.  That's 6 points right there.

Don't get me wrong, not pointing to this as the one play that determined the outcome. That would be idiotic.

Just take that play in the moment after all had occurred up to that point - do you have faith in our offense to drive the field for 6 if Williams comes down with the TD? The drive they put together was great, but it's far less likely we put up 6 on the final drive versus the 3 we did. Fortunately, it didn't end up going that way and we didn't play ourselves out of the final drive.

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Don't get me wrong, not pointing to this as the one play that determined the outcome. That would be idiotic.

Just take that play in the moment after all had occurred up to that point - do you have faith in our offense to drive the field for 6 if Williams comes down with the TD? The drive they put together was great, but it's far less likely we put up 6 on the final drive versus the 3 we did. Fortunately, it didn't end up going that way and we didn't play ourselves out of the final drive.

Sure if that play had resulted in a TD, the odds of the Bills winning plummet.  I don't think that anyone would argue that.  But that play affects everything after it.

4 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Stating the obvious here but it's pretty likely they win the game if he catches it. But for everyone posting how great our Defense has been, the grain of salt is if you take away the turnover differential (which is mostly just the ball bouncing our way), we were one play away from losing that game due to a drop in coverage. Top 10 defenses have that happen, but not with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter in a game where we know our offense likely won't put up more than 3 points a drive.

Guy they would have given up 16 points for the game if he catches that....

16 points. People take me to be negative but the defense played great last week. I can't hate on a 16 point performance or even 22 to Aaron Rodgers. Those are winnable games if your offense is average. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ctk232 said:

If I had a buck for every Bills game that was lost because the ball didn't bounce our way or we were one play away from winning I'd be a rich man. That's just how it works. A win is a win, period.