The Drop by Nick Williams against the Bills Costs Him His Job - Signing with the Rams with Kupp Injured

5 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Stating the obvious here but it's pretty likely they win the game if he catches it. But for everyone posting how great our Defense has been, the grain of salt is if you take away the turnover differential (which is mostly just the ball bouncing our way), we were one play away from losing that game due to a drop in coverage. Top 10 defenses have that happen, but not with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter in a game where we know our offense likely won't put up more than 3 points a drive.

The Bills offense did consistently hang the defense out to dry. That being said I agree there were a lot of lucky plays for the defense including the drop. But the Bills defense did a good job consistently getting stops and making big plays. However the Bills did lose 3 points on a bonehead play with the botched snap so you do have to factor that in. 

4 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Could we have driven the field and put up more than 3 points? Absolutely. It's possible just wasn't likely given how the game was going, but yes, still possible. 

And I'm not removing the turnovers from the evaluation - quite the contrary. I responded separately to this effect in that we should at least wait a couple more weeks for some efficacious data to provide a better sense of how good this D is. I personally think our defense is solid and has tremendous upside. We've seen this since our opener and week 2 games. But before we start parading around our defense, let's see how they perform outside of the turnovers, or in games where we can't force any INTs, fumbles, etc. It's absolutely part of the game and I love seeing it, but all I'm saying is don't start the train too early/take what you've seen with a grain of salt.

I apparently missed the point you were making regarding the defense and how they will fare moving forward. I was just responding about this game.  I still hold that its impossible to say what might have happened had we made a touchdown, because after all, the titans were as unlikely to score the td othe drop based on the other 55 minutes of ball. It was absolutely fortunate that he dropped it, and as I said earlier I thought the d played very well on Sunday.  Moving forward your cautious approach is warranted of course. 

Have a good night. 

11 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

As it is for every team on  most fumbles and some interceptions. You don’t think the ball bounced the Titan’s way on the interception? And all defenses, even top 10 defenses, benefit from dropped passes, overthrown receivers, penalties, or some other mistake negating a big play/touchdown almost every game - even at the end of a game.

precisely, the fact the titans only had one opportunity to get a play like that is why our defense is good. 

Homestly, with our WR corp, I say kick the tires.  Even if he just matches our current receivers, maybe he'll have some chemistry with Allen.  It also sends a message that what's going on right now at WR isn't acceptable.  Everyone drops passes.  I think most of us remember a certain Pittsburgh game and a not-to-shabby Bills receiver dropping a wide open game winner...

15 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Gee that's funny, our team seems to reward guys that drop the ball a lot and keep the guys with better upside and hands on the bench.

Replace KB with Croom NOW.

He was a 3 year WR in college before converting to TE, same size as KB, better blocker, way better hands, hungry, dedicated, team player, tough, earned his spot based on merit etc.

And he’s nailing the owners daughter.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

If I had a buck for every Bills game that was lost because the ball didn't bounce our way or we were one play away from winning I'd be a rich man. That's just how it works. A win is a win, period.

Don't disagree in the slightest - thought to note, some wins are just more convincing than others. No doubt our defense combined with our RBs and OL, dare I say, won us that game. W is a W no matter how it came, but for the purpose of my point, we all know the difference and what a convincing win looks like.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Drop by Nick Williams against the Bills Costs Him His Job - Signing with the Rams with Kupp Injured
9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Ok, so good enough for Sean McVay the new heir apparent to Belichick, but Buffalo says, "Naw, we're good.".....(there's some sarcasm about the McVay - Belichick comparison, but not the latter part of my comment).

Actually the Beli / McVay comparison will probably be pretty accurate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/9/2018 at 5:25 PM, zow2 said:

I was at the game, saw his punt return and was thinking that was one of the fastest white dudes I’ve seen.  Well besides baseball’s Trea Turner.  That guy is a burner too.

We could have used him on punt return last week

• Haha (+1) 1