Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, sleeby said:

So you're the guy who thought the past 20 years were great!  Heard of you but thought an urban legend was all.  ;o)  

Nope. Missing the playoffs is not fun. The Bills have had plenty of bad seasons where they won less than 8 games.

The best teams draft later in the first round. The bad teams, year after year, draft in the top 10. Cleveland has been bad for decades. All those decades of top draft choices has done nothing to help them. You still have to have good coaches and schemes.

I'll never advocate a tank because they do not work in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Nope. Missing the playoffs is not fun. The Bills have had plenty of bad seasons where they won less than 8 games.

The best teams draft later in the first round. The bad teams, year after year, draft in the top 10. Cleveland has been bad for decades. All those decades of top draft choices has done nothing to help them. You still have to have good coaches and schemes.

Generally speaking, you are correct. Tanking for a franchise QB is the exception to the rule, any other position though? Not so much. Good coaches don't need top 5 picks at every position to field good competitive teams.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Worth to whom?

I didn't like the Dareus trade.  It sent our D into a 3 game run-over-us tailspin.  I thought a 5th was ridiculously low compensation for a former 1st round pick who had been one of the best DTs in football and was still a competent run stuffer, but I "bought" the whole "Process" thing: OK, he's the highest paid player and maybe he's not setting the kind of high bar for work ethic like your highest paid guy has to do.

There can be none of that with McCoy.  None.  He's a leader, he seems to have bonded with Allen, he's a team captain.  You trade him, you're trading (in terms of talent and demonstrated football abilities) your heart.  2nd and 3rd round picks overall have about a 1 in 3 chance of working out.  If you trade McCoy for a 2nd and a 3rd, there's something like 60% odds you get one good football player back.  Maybe that's worth it.  Maybe.

They're going to have more cap space than they know what to do with next year already, what does McCoy's $9M matter to them?

At some point you have to play football, not trade away every good player on the team.

A 4th or 5th is a player who has maybe 10-20% odds of working out.  That would be ridiculous.

Someday someone will have to explain to me how a team that has a shortage of good football players can improve by losing good football players. 

The Eagles could very well finish somewhere near the top of the standings which will diminish the value of any of their draft picks we receive in a trade.

I don't see the sense in it but at the same time, I think this trade is way more likely than I thought it was when I first heard the rumor. If it happens, tragically, 

I may no longer be able to justify avoiding going apple picking one of these Sundays. Apple fritters, whoopee.

I don't see a need for this.  Buffalo is not out of it officially yet and McCoy seems to want to be here. 

The only way that this would make any sense is to trade for players as positions of need such as interior line or receiver.  Three of the next four games are very winnable, it is way too early to mail it in for picks. 

On 10/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

As in John Butler? 

Cue Edith Baines Bunker voice: 

Those were the days... you knew who the Bills were then. Every year the wins were more than 10! The offense sure could use a man like Reed or Lofton again!

Didn’t have no botched field goal fakes... the offense always pulled it’s weight. And gee old Thurman ran great... THOSE WERE THE DAYYYS!

Love it!!!  Great to reminisce about our glory days, especially with our future so uncertain...thanks for the early morning smiles!! ?

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Regarding McCoy's manner of carrying the ball, I can remember my father in the 1960s critiquing OJ Simpson for similar 'sins'.  My dad's generation all favoured the two arms wrapped securely around the ball as the ONLY way to run.

Like Jim Braxton.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

This is so untrue. They have talented players all over the field now and a future promising QB. I’d trade with their roster in a heartbeat. They will need a new coach but all the pieces are there for them to succeed now and for a long time into the future. Sam hinkie the gm of the sixers did everything right to get that franchise top talent and he was fired for it. Then the new gm comes in and blows his first top draft pick and has a horrible relationship with his star players. How bout everyone give beane a while before you all try to get him fired. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Never understood the injury frustration with him from fans.

It was one nagging foot injury that kept him out for most of the 2016 season. He had surgery that offseason and by all accounts was good to go that next season.(played in all 16 games for the Rams)

He played the entire 2014 season and missed a couple games in 2015. Its football. It's going to happen.

He missed close to an entire season of games with injuries.  He also missed a game with the Rams with a concussion, so he didnt play the entire season.   He was available in less than 80% of the games he played for the Bills.

My bigger issue with Sammy is his hype is no where near his production, and he has proved that since he left. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

This is so untrue. They have talented players all over the field now and a future promising QB. I’d trade with their roster in a heartbeat. They will need a new coach but all the pieces are there for them to succeed now and for a long time into the future. Sam hinkie the gm of the sixers did everything right to get that franchise top talent and he was fired for it. Then the new gm comes in and blows his first top draft pick and has a horrible relationship with his star players. How bout everyone give beane a while before you all try to get him fired. 

Only took them 50 years of tanking to do it!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24951743/2018-nfl-midseason-trade-ideas-why-make-sense-teams-bill-barnwell

Buffalo RB LeSean McCoy to Philadelphia

The details: Buffalo Bills trade McCoy to Philadelphia Eagles for G Stefen Wisniewski, 2019 sixth-round pick.

OK, let's get weirder. The Eagles restructured Fletcher Cox's contract this week to free up $6.5 million in cap space, which is a curious tactic for a team to pursue during the season unless it's planning on acquiring some salary. Philadelphia has a need at running back with Jay Ajayi shelved by a torn ACL and both Corey Clement and Darren Sproles struggling to stay on the field. General manager Howie Roseman is certainly familiar with McCoy, who was traded to the Bills for Kiko Alonso during the Chip Kelly era. McCoy also played under Andy Reid, whose scheme at the time shares similarities with Doug Pederson's now.

The Bills are rebuilding, and while McCoy offers Josh Allen a safety valve, the 30-year-old back is not going to be part of the next Bills team to make the playoffs. He has $4.3 million in base salary remaining in 2018 and a $6.2 million base salary next year, and while I suspect the Eagles probably wouldn't be interested in paying Shady that much in 2019, they could certainly use him for the remainder of this campaign.

To make the case more palatable for the Bills, they're going to get a player who might help Allen develop. The 29-year-old Wisniewski started 11 games for the Eagles last season and helped them win a Super Bowl, but as the Philadelphia offensive line has struggled in 2018, Wisniewski has been benched for Isaac Seumalo. Wisniewski has suggested that the benching wasn't performance-based, and while the Eagles might be willing to tolerate his griping, they could also trade Wisniewski and activate Chance Warmack as their backup guard. Wisniewski is under contract until 2019 and could represent an upgrade on guard John Miller or center Russell Bodine.

10 hours ago, Mickey said:

Someday someone will have to explain to me how a team that has a shortage of good football players can improve by losing good football players. 

The Eagles could very well finish somewhere near the top of the standings which will diminish the value of any of their draft picks we receive in a trade.

I don't see the sense in it but at the same time, I think this trade is way more likely than I thought it was when I first heard the rumor. If it happens, tragically, 

I may no longer be able to justify avoiding going apple picking one of these Sundays. Apple fritters, whoopee.

That's funny, my mom was supposed to go apple picking today. She said it was cancelled due to weather issues.

It's my belief that the Bills don't make any type of move on McCoy until after the outcome of Sunday's game in Houston.  A win Sunday and a favorable match-up in Indianapolis the following week could leave the Bills at 4-3, with 6 of their last nine games at home.

A win against Houston to me says we keep Shady at least until the Colts game to see where we are.

In this time frame let's also look at RB needy teams like the Jaguars who just signed Jamal Charles off the scrap heap of used up running backs to get the very best offer if circumstances to trend towards a McCoy trade.

To me this is what I believe is what is in the minds of Beane and McDermott as this moves forward.