Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The trading of McCoy is not as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.  I expected this to be his final year in Buffalo.  Now I would want one of their young backs in return.  Smallwood or Clement and a 2nd or 3rd.  It's a situation that came calling and one I would consider.

you can draft a rookie in the fifth, burn out Ivory and see what Murphy can do. and have Shady still. He is a our best pas receiver two years running isn't he  : )

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

I would MUCH rather go 8-8 than anything less than that. I don't want the top pick in the draft. I don't want a top 10 pick in the draft. I want the team to be competitive every single year and win asany games as possible.

So you're the guy who thought the past 20 years were great!  Heard of you but thought an urban legend was all.  ;o)   

I would only *consider* trading him to the Eagles if they got a 2nd for him or if they plan to send Allen to the bench (and then have to draft another QB prospect).  Leaving Allen in the lineup with no WRs, no OL and no RB would be a death sentence for his career, yet benching him now is also likely the same.

Just now, sleeby said:

So you're the guy who thought the past 20 years were great!  Heard of you but thought an urban legend was all.  ;o)   

I think it is the win now and win the future philosophy that has been mentioned via the FO he is alluding to.

No Tank for me senior ( in my Speedy Gonzalez voice )

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

coming off a super bowl win, the goal is not to finish 9-7 and be one and done in the playoffs.  Its a different mindset than making one playoff game appearance in 17 years. 

Who says theyd be one and done? If they get in they could make a run its been done before

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Worth to whom?

I didn't like the Dareus trade.  It sent our D into a 3 game run-over-us tailspin.  I thought a 5th was ridiculously low compensation for a former 1st round pick who had been one of the best DTs in football and was still a competent run stuffer, but I "bought" the whole "Process" thing: OK, he's the highest paid player and maybe he's not setting the kind of high bar for work ethic like your highest paid guy has to do.

There can be none of that with McCoy.  None.  He's a leader, he seems to have bonded with Allen, he's a team captain.  You trade him, you're trading (in terms of talent and demonstrated football abilities) your heart.  2nd and 3rd round picks overall have about a 1 in 3 chance of working out.  If you trade McCoy for a 2nd and a 3rd, there's something like 60% odds you get one good football player back.  Maybe that's worth it.  Maybe.

They're going to have more cap space than they know what to do with next year already, what does McCoy's $9M matter to them?

At some point you have to play football, not trade away every good player on the team.

A 4th or 5th is a player who has maybe 10-20% odds of working out.  That would be ridiculous.

Not to mention the added pressure you're needlessly putting on Allen...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Frez said:

Shady carries the ball like a hot loaf of bread! Wtf is that all about?

Thanks

He gets away with b/c he's a great runner, and doesn't cough up the ball very much.

If he fumbled a lot with that technique, he would either have changed how he does things years or ago or been driven out of the league.  

But he somehow avoids fumbling while doing it, so he continues to do it.

It's still crazy and drives me nuts!

51 minutes ago, Frez said:

Shady carries the ball like a hot loaf of bread! Wtf is that all about?

Thanks

Someone said it helps him with balance. I also read this today about the loaf of bread carry

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/10/nfl-rookie-quarterbacks-baker-mayfield-josh-rosen-sam-darnold-josh-allen-lamar-jackson

I’ve been watching LeSean McCoy carry the ball like this for 10 years, and yet I’m still baffled when I see it. Shortly after he was dealt to Buffalo, I sat down and watched film with him. I asked him how many coaches have tried to have a serious conversation with him about how he holds the ball. “All of them,” he said. “But I don’t fumble the ball, really.” Indeed, McCoy in his career has averaged just over two fumbles a season, and many of those have come on runs where he’s cradled the ball correctly. I love McCoy’s game. He’s one of the best lateral movers of his generation. He’s 30 but hasn’t shown much (if any) signs of decline. He can carry the ball however he wants, I guess.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, sleeby said:

I'd argue the last 20 years sucked bc we weren't in the playoff hunt for the majority of the time. 8-8 and borderline 9-7 and meaningful December games would have made the last 20 years much more bearable than the 6-10 and 7-9 we consistently ended up with. 

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

Man, listening to his and McD's pressers gave me pause.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is dealt soon

Of course they want to trade him.  They aren’t bringing him back.  All this BS in the offseason (whether it’s true or not), his age and price tag is the reason to move him while you can get something. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There can be none of that with McCoy.  None.  He's a leader, he seems to have bonded with Allen, he's a team captain.  You trade him, you're trading (in terms of talent and demonstrated football abilities) your heart.  2nd and 3rd round picks overall have about a 1 in 3 chance of working out.  If you trade McCoy for a 2nd and a 3rd, there's something like 60% odds you get one good football player back.  Maybe that's worth it.  Maybe.

They're going to have more cap space than they know what to do with next year already, what does McCoy's $9M matter to them?

At some point you have to play football, not trade away every good player on the team.

A 4th or 5th is a player who has maybe 10-20% odds of working out.  That would be ridiculous.

BOOM

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How can you say Sammy was a good unload giving the state of or WRs? 

They are a disaster. Having Sammy would help everyone on offense significantly. 

Sammy was my favorite Bill, but we knew he was going to ask for huge money and he was just too inconsistent with those freaking injuries.   He's got a nagging hammy again this year, he's 5 games in averaging 4 grabs a game, scored once.  Thats with Tyreek and Kelce-both elite weapons-ahead of him and Mahomes chucking it.   

I dunno man, we could have definitely used him in the Jax playoff game, he wouldn't have pushed off like KB in the endzone and backed us up 10 yards off the goal line on 1st down.

We used Rams 2nd round draft pick as part of the trade up to get Josh, otherwise we'd have had to burn our 22nd overall pick to move up and we wouldn't have been able to get Tremaine otherwise.  Both dudes huge part of our future here.   

Maybe you're right though.  He was so fun to watch when healthy, I miss that.