Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This is the kind of move that makes no sense at all to me. A borderline starting OL and another 6th is not worth it. I don’t know if I’d do Wisnewski and a 3rd. While Shady may not be here after this year he still is an important piece to Allen’s development. The Bills already have 10 picks and a boatload of cap space. A swing interior OL and a 6th does nothing for me. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like aiming high but I’d take a 4th.  He’s getting old, he has baggage, he probably won’t be back next year, and the one thing the Bills can do is find running backs.

C. Biscuit, this is a terrible trade for the Bills. He is still really good and stands a decent chance of going to the HOF. His contract is fine. Why wouldn't he be back next year?

Name the last 3 Bills fourth rounders who turned out to be better than average players (i.e., not JAGs). Andre Reed is the only player who comes to mind. Jamie Nails is the proverbial mean in the fourth round slot for the Bills.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is the kind of move that makes no sense at all to me. A borderline starting OL and another 6th is not worth it. I don’t know if I’d do Wisnewski and a 3rd. While Shady may not be here after this year he still is an important piece to Allen’s development. The Bills already have 10 picks and a boatload of cap space. A swing interior OL and a 6th does nothing for me. 

What a stupid trade idea. 

I swear, journalists and posters love draft picks way too much. Mid-round picks are so freaking overrated.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

C. Biscuit, this is a terrible trade for the Bills. He is still really good and stands a decent chance of going to the HOF. His contract is fine. Why wouldn't he be back next year?

Name the last 3 Bills fourth rounders who turned out to be better than average players (i.e., not JAGs). Andre Reed is the only player who comes to mind. Jamie Nails is the proverbial mean in the fourth round slot for the Bills.

I swear, journalists and posters love draft picks way too much. Mid-round picks are so freaking overrated.

Taron Johnson looks quite good but there is a long way to go. In general I totally agree with you. Terrible trade idea. I will also say that GMs value draft picks way too much. They can pick up proven vets for third and fourth round picks and they don't. It makes no sense to me. It's a crapshoot to begin with and after the third round it's worse than a crapshoot. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If they want something that I’d consider Clement and a 3rd for Shady. That gives the Bills a young back that has potential to be a number 1 and at worst is a part of a rotation. It also gives them another day 2 pick and a chance to find another starter. They’d have 2 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and 7ths. They can move around the draft board to get guys that they want. They can walk out of next year’s draft with 4 starters, some depth players and Clement.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wasn't Wisnieski benched this year?

Yes, Barnwell mentions that in the blurb that I quoted.

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree that this deal doesn't do it for me. I'd definitely do it if it included a 3rd instead though. A 3rd alone is more than enough for me. A 4th is where I'd begin to consider it. Anything less and I wouldn't bother.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Demarco Murray, Orleans Darkwa or Terrence West IMO

Demarco Murray  - really the only name I recognize 

Orleans Darkwa - Jax worked him out and then signed Jamaal Charles instead 

Terrence West - Formerly Browns, Ravens, Titans and New Orleans Saints.  that list says enough no? 

Are they really a 1 for 1 replacement for Shady?   If they were why isn't Philly pursuing them? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

17 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The trading of McCoy is not as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.  I expected this to be his final year in Buffalo.  Now I would want one of their young backs in return.  Smallwood or Clement and a 2nd or 3rd.  It's a situation that came calling and one I would consider.

Generally speaking, roster moves are made in the off-season.  That's when the FAs and draft class is available, after all.

That's when they can draft or sign McCoy's replacement(s).

Even if they do plan to release McCoy next year, at some point, a GM needs to be sure the team has the roster to get through a season

Given the injury and the Eagles desire to contend this season, it is very doubtful they would be interested in giving us a depth player.  NFL rosters contend on their depth.

23 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not using him?

Did you see last weeks game?

McCoy ran it 24 times..

Ivory 14 times 

I know he had more carries last week but the first few weeks seemed like he wasn't used at all. 

Don't get me wrong, I think McCoy is great and I'd rather have him running the ball than not, but I just get the impression they want a more physical runner. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Never understood the injury frustration with him from fans.

It was one nagging foot injury that kept him out for most of the 2016 season. He had surgery that offseason and by all accounts was good to go that next season.(played in all 16 games for the Rams)

He played the entire 2014 season and missed a couple games in 2015. Its football. It's going to happen.

Love me some Sammy but he had a 8 game stretch of great production in his whole career  Take that out and he's good when available but not worth 16 Million a year.  I think he ends up as one of those what might have been type careers  Boatload of talent but somehow never puts it all together.  His stats don't reflect his abilities

52 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I agree that this deal doesn't do it for me. I'd definitely do it if it included a 3rd instead though. A 3rd alone is more than enough for me. A 4th is where I'd begin to consider it. Anything less and I wouldn't bother.

I'm just curious about this philosophy - you are of course far from the only person expressing it, I'm just jumping in here.

A 4th round pick is where you draft a player who has something like a 20-25% chance of making it in the NFL.  Not of being a star, just being a capable NFL player - sometimes at the cost of being carried on the roster for a couple years before he emerges.

So this philosophy is saying, "let's swap a legit star in his downward years who is one of our roster's best players THIS season, for a 25% chance of getting a capable NFL player NEXT season"

Why does this make sense or seem like a good deal to you?

To me, to trade McCoy would only make sense if it's part of a bigger this-year plan.  Let's say we can trade for, say, a very good vet WR - but we need to clear cap.  So we trade McCoy for decent picks - say the best Philly 2nd - and trade the best Philly 2nd for a WR with at least an option year on his contract after this season after clearing the cap to receive him.  That kind of thing would hopefully keep or improve the team's competitiveness this year and position us well for next year (we're in a hole where FA WR aren't gonna want to sign here until we're racking up more passing yards, but we can't rack up more passing yards without better WR). 

That might make sense for all 3 teams - for Philly, by giving them the RB they need Right Now to contend; for a team that might have good young WR coming up, by giving them a good draft pick; for us, by upgrading a position that is woefully lacking at the cost of downgrading a position of strength.

But McCoy for a 4th?  I don't get it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Terrence McGee.:thumbsup:

I agree though, no way in hell I would make that trade, not this year. If there’s some decent value being offered this off-season, maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Love me some Sammy but he had a 8 game stretch of great production in his whole career  Take that out and he's good when available but not worth 16 Million a year.  I think he ends up as one of those what might have been type careers  Boatload of talent but somehow never puts it all together.  His stats don't reflect his abilities

He’s also in the drug program. Next blip is a 4 gamer.