Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Again, we're not getting Nelson Agholor or Alshon Jeffrey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please stop.

I don't think you need to get that upset (your choice but it seems worthless to me)....ideas about what Shady's value would be to YOU as the fan of the Buffalo Bills and those names come up for all the obvious reasons....it's not a projection, it's a "what would you like in return"....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't think you need to get that upset (your choice but it seems worthless to me)....ideas about what Shady's value would be to YOU as the fan of the Buffalo Bills and those names come up for all the obvious reasons....it's not a projection, it's a "what would you like in return"....

Yeah, I get that but people need to understand the reason the Eagles want McCoy is because they're desperate to win now. They're not going to part with one of their starting wide receivers for a 30 year old back. We're in a pretty good spot leverage wise, but that's just plain silly. I'd love to see a draft pick and Mack Hollins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

if Buffalo trades McCoy they are trading their ONLY play maker on offensive, are definitely tanking the season. Might as well trade Hughes, Williams and Hyde too.

Why in the world would we trade Hyde?

Just now, Tatonka68 said:

if Buffalo trades McCoy they are trading their ONLY play maker on offensive, are definitely tanking the season. Might as well trade Hughes, Williams and Hyde too.

Why would we trade Hyde when he still has 3 and half years left on his deal and is only 27?

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Indirectly, he is. He was either asked to take an active role in helping Allen adapt to the pros or he took it on himself - either way if you’ve paid attention he’s been focused on his development even in the game he missed while he was hurt. He was on the sideline with a tablet talking to him. He has been vocal about working with Allen and how much he believes in him. Whether you see that as valuable to Allen’s future (and thereby the team’s future) or not, the Bills may think it’s worth more than a 3rd rd pick especially coupled with what he can do to help Allen on the field. 

You are suggesting that Shady is a component to Allen's development as a QB and therefore we lose something if Shady is traded?

That's pretty far fetched.  If we can get a 3rd or better for him, cut him loose.

He won't be around here much longer anyway, and I highly doubt Allen's success or lack thereof will be linked to Shady's presence or absence in any way.

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I bet all of them play in offenses with tons of skill position players...much easier to shine when they are the 3rd option instead of the first.

Cooper Kupp has Woods, Gurley and Cooks in front of him for instance.

They all have either good weapons around them, or a good coach, but they obviously also play a heavy hand in that themselves. For example, Kenny Golladay is the highest rated WR on the Lions this year. Chris Godwin was rated higher than DeSean Jackson last year. Kamara IS the weapon; I think he was the highest rated RB in the league last year and he's a huge reason the Saints offense is what it is this year. Hunt's running ability played a large role in allowing Alex Smith to throw it deep for the first time in his career.

And Buffalo has to start somewhere as far as weapons go. To me, the chance at adding even more cap space and also having a swing at another highly rated draft prospect is more than enough to trade McCoy.

My main argument in favor of trading McCoy for a 3rd or 4th round pick would be this:

You can replace McCoy for roughly half the money we are currently paying him. You can also hope you draft well and just draft his replacement for pennies compared to McCoy. Or you can both sign a player of roughly McCoy's current/long-term playing level and also draft a RB that may also be that same level. It's not terribly difficult to find above average RBs anymore, which is optimistically what you're hoping McCoy will be moving forwards.

Edited by DCOrange

Just now, DCOrange said:

They all have either good weapons around them, or a good coach, but they obviously also play a heavy hand in that themselves. For example, Kenny Golladay is the highest rated WR on the Lions this year. Chris Godwin was rated higher than DeSean Jackson last year. Kamara IS the weapon; I think he was the highest rated RB in the league last year and he's a huge reason the Saints offense is what it is this year. Hunt's running ability played a large role in allowing Alex Smith to throw it deep for the first time in his career.

And Buffalo has to start somewhere as far as weapons go. To me, the chance at adding even more cap space and also having a swing at another highly rated draft prospect is more than enough to trade McCoy.

But Kamara greatly is helped by playing with a first ballot HOF QB, Mihael Thomas and a bunch of WR's that get open in that scheme...its kind of like "pick your poison" you can' stop everything.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok so you take a 30 and 31 year old Shady. Or the picks?

Depends on the picks! 

I want a second given how I think he's likely to produce as a Bill through 2019. He's still an elite player, and if the Bills are going to make a big step forward next season, they need players like him. I want playoffs next season.

38 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The guy is past his prime, but he still has the ability to make game changing plays. There are not many of those guys just sitting around. He's also a reliable receiver and pass blocker, attributes Pederson highly values. 

Like I said, they're desperate to win NOW. We'd like to have more draft capital, but it's not a desperate need. Immediacy creates leverage.

Disagree. Too many other options.