Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Whaley didn't draft EJ; Butler did. If Whaley was still here we would have had Mahomes or Watson without giving away our better players. Think about that while inaccurate Josh bless us with his inaccurate passing.      

But

er was deceased.  Buddy Nix.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm pretty torn about this.

On the one hand, the Bills have already pretty much stripped the offense to the nubs. Getting one more good draft pick in exchange for a player who likely won't be around when the Bills are ready for prime time potentially makes sense.

On the other hand, McCoy is a locker room leader, a team captain, and has a great relationship with Allen. Taking away the ONE good offensive player the Bills have -- and thus making life even HARDER on their rookie QB -- might be a foolhardy move.

The question, of course, is what would the compensation be? Anything less than a 2nd rounder (which I doubt the Eagles would be willing to part with) probably isn't worth it. Why? Because, again, you don't want to make Allen's difficult development even MORE difficult by stripping him of another good offensive player and a mentor/leader in the locker room.

Trading McCoy is playing with fire in terms of the chemistry that is building in the locker room.  Not worth it.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

Whaley didn't draft EJ; Butler did. If Whaley was still here we would have had Mahomes or Watson without giving away our better players. Think about that while inaccurate Josh bless us with his inaccurate passing.      

I was joking of course. And it was Buddy Nix who (I agree with you) drafted EJ. There is nothing to make you know Whaley would have drafted either of those guys. Nor is Josh all that inaccurate, all things considered. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Trading McCoy is playing with fire in terms of the chemistry that is building in the locker room.  Not worth it.

I'm inclined to agree. If he was disgruntled or something, then so be it. But he's not. He's happy, healthy, and was voted team captain.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

No, we would still have EJ in his 6th year, all he needed was more time.

• Haha (+1) 3

Send me Alshon Jeffrey and we got a deal. Often injured or not he’s about the only one I’d take from philly for McCoy. 

I wouldn’t take a pick for him unless it’s a 1st. Obviously they won’t drop a first rounder or Jeffrey but that’s the only way I’m shipping shady off this year. Impact player or pick in return or no deal

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Exactly this. When you talk about "building culture", I don't know how you get the team to play hard week in and week out when your coach/GM ship out your best offensive player and a team captain. It screams "we're punting on the season!".

They can't build culture when you keep peterman and get rid of a playmaker. That shows the team that the best players or playmakers don't stay... The DB that played last week was better than most of the WR, backup QB, a couple lineman. The team is growing tired of his lip service 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

Do we save anything in terms of cap?

Id pull it for a conditional pick. 

By Dan Lavoie Oct 9, 2018-Buffalo Rumblings

There’s also a salary implication to any trade discussion, though the impact is much lower than it would’ve been a year ago. Right now, the Bills owe McCoy just under $9 million for the season. If they trade him, it would accelerate an additional $2.625M of his signing bonus onto Buffalo’s 2018 salary cap as dead money. However, the team would save around $4 million from McCoy’s remaining 2018 salary, plus $6.425M in 2019, by not needing to pay McCoy’s salary anymore. The team to trade for McCoy would owe him those sums.

9 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

As in John Butler? 

Cue Edith Baines Bunker voice: 

Those were the days... you knew who the Bills were then. Every year the wins were more than 10! The offense sure could use a man like Reed or Lofton again!

Didn’t have no botched field goal fakes... the offense always pulled it’s weight. And gee old Thurman ran great... THOSE WERE THE DAYYYS!

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons
  • Like (+1) 3

A 30 year old running back with a high salary cap #? I'd be surprised if they could get anything more than a 4th for him, in which case it would not be worth trading him away. A 2nd round pick sounds like a pipe dream but if that happened that would at least make the trade defensible. Still don't like the idea of trading away our best offensive player when we're one game out of first place in the division.

• Like (+1) 1