Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

I'm pretty torn about this.

On the one hand, the Bills have already pretty much stripped the offense to the nubs. Getting one more good draft pick in exchange for a player who likely won't be around when the Bills are ready for prime time potentially makes sense.

On the other hand, McCoy is a locker room leader, a team captain, and has a great relationship with Allen. Taking away the ONE good offensive player the Bills have -- and thus making life even HARDER on their rookie QB -- might be a foolhardy move.

The question, of course, is what would the compensation be? Anything less than a 2nd rounder (which I doubt the Eagles would be willing to part with) probably isn't worth it. Why? Because, again, you don't want to make Allen's difficult development even MORE difficult by stripping him of another good offensive player and a mentor/leader in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 25
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Corey Clement and a 2nd? 

I sincerely doubt the Eagles would give up even a 2nd, let alone a 2nd and a player.

At McCoy's age, the Bills are looking at a 3rd round pick AT most, and more likely a 4th or 5th. If I'm right about that, Bills would be better served by hanging onto him.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I just posted in the other thread that Whaley’s genius drafting of EJ just keeps paying huge dividends for the franchise. 

Whaley didn't draft EJ; Butler did. If Whaley was still here we would have had Mahomes or Watson without giving away our better players. Think about that while inaccurate Josh bless us with his inaccurate passing.      

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm pretty torn about this.

On the one hand, the Bills have already pretty much stripped the offense to the nubs. Getting one more good draft pick in exchange for a player who likely won't be around when the Bills are ready for prime time potentially makes sense.

On the other hand, McCoy is a locker room leader, a team captain, and has a great relationship with Allen. Taking away the ONE good offensive player the Bills have -- and thus making life even HARDER on their rookie QB -- might be a foolhardy move.

The question, of course, is what would the compensation be? Anything less than a 2nd rounder (which I doubt the Eagles would be willing to part with) probably isn't worth it. Why? Because, again, you don't want to make Allen's difficult development even MORE difficult by stripping him of another good offensive player and a mentor/leader in the locker room.

Yeppers. Tough one.  FWIW, I would have to think it would totally demoralize the entire team if they moved him for a pick. "Front office is quitting on 2018" thoughts will be impossible to prevent in the locker room. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I sincerely doubt the Eagles would give up even a 2nd, let alone a 2nd and a player.

At McCoy's age, the Bills are looking at a 3rd round pick AT most, and more likely a 4th or 5th. If I'm right about that, Bills would be better served by hanging onto him.

I didn’t say they would give up a 2nd. That’s what it would take imo. Bills already have 10 draft picks and Mccoy is serving a big role to their rookie QB. He’s taking him under his wing and he’s a captain. I don’t see Beane salivating at a mid round pick. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 11

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

Yeppers. Tough one.  FWIW, I would have to think it would totally demoralize the entire team if they moved him for a pick. "Front office is quitting on 2018" thoughts will be impossible to prevent in the locker room. 

Exactly this. When you talk about "building culture", I don't know how you get the team to play hard week in and week out when your coach/GM ship out your best offensive player and a team captain. It screams "we're punting on the season!".

• Like (+1) 4