Derek Anderson signed; Peterman QB2 week 6; Anderson Presser

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It is but everyone pretty much knows with few exceptions no backup QB will win more than 5 or 6 games over a course of an NFL season if forced to play the whole year. 

Hopefully Buffalo isn't looking for a guy to start more than a handful of games which I don't think they are. Allen is going to continue to start unless he gets injured. I just think Matt Moore would've been the better choice.

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Hopefully Buffalo isn't looking for a guy to start more than a handful of games which I don't think they are. Allen is going to continue to start unless he gets injured. I just think Matt Moore would've been the better choice.

Matt Moore has turned down workouts with other teams, he’s not interested in playing any more.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/09/matt-moore-turns-down-titans-workout

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the plan is for him to take Nate’s roster spot once he’s up to speed. I’ll be surprised if that doesn’t happen. 

"I watched Cam Newton grow for 7 years in Carolina. I'm here to help Josh Allen and Nate Peterman in any way that I can."

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Just put Peterman on the practice squad if McDermott loves him so much. No team in their right mind is taking this guy and putting him on their active roster. You can keep 3, without keeping 3.

I’m sure he will be headed to the PS but they can’t cut him yet. They have a game in 4 days and DA just got here. Can’t go into a game with 1 QB who knows the offense. I would expect that move next week. 

Fun useless geography fact

Derek Anderson's hometown of Scappoose, Oregon is just down the highway east from Jordan Poyer's hometown of Astoria. In the past these schools have been league rivals. I think Scappoose is now in a smaller or larger conference . I grew up in between both of these communities on the washington side of the columbia river in a logging community called Longview. Scappoose is about a half hour away to the east of us and Astoria about 40 minutes to the west. My high school competed against both Astoria and Scappoose in sports every year. I still remember watching Poyer play us in basketball and football in non league games as they were an Oregon school and we were a washington school. He was an incredible athlete. Also remember being a kid and getting to watch Anderson play in college at OSU. Those OSU teams were fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

So, Anderson spent 7 years mentoring Cam Newton...is no one concerned over the fact that Cam Newton still sucks?

Dialing up the familiar excuse..."he doesn't suck, his supporting cast does!"

We should be worried about Brandon Beane and his ability to evaluate offensive talent. Just look at the Panthers.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:28 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Peterman is on the 53 for now, but I think it’s a matter of time before he’s cut. Just need DA to learn the playbook first. He may not be active until week 7

Even if you don't know the playbook.  Not throwing it to the other team would be an improvement over Peterman.

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No. It’s exactly the point and you know it. You argue just to argue. Of course no one brings in a veteran to mentor a rookie IF THEY ALREADY HAVE ONE. The point is obviously virtually everyone has one. If you don’t you bring one in. See how that works? 

My argument is to disprove a falsehood: that teams bring in vets to mentor young QBs.  You said they all do it.  Now you're saying "well, there was already a vet on the team".  Well, yes, there is always another QB on the team.  So what?

I listed nearly every recently drafted the starter and their backup at the time.  The list of backups were mostly a joke as far as being mentors--other than McKown, none of them could credibly be described as a mentor.  Just already being the QB on a roster when the rookie gets there is completely different than bringing in a guy specifically for that purpose, and has nothing to do with "mentoring".  Most of those guys were QBs who just lost their starting jobs (or any hope of starting) when the rookie was drafted.

So no, virtually every team does not have a "mentor" QB on the roster.  Few do in fact.

10 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

So, Anderson spent 7 years mentoring Cam Newton...is no one concerned over the fact that Cam Newton still sucks?

Was he league MVP and did he play in a a SB?  I sort of agree with you but a mentor does not make a player great, he helps him become what he is capable of becoming.

Vic Carucci: 'A Star is Born,' NFL edition, as Derek Anderson mentors Josh Allen

https://buffalonews.com/2018/10/10/vic-carucci-signing-anderson-to-mentor-allen-makes-perfect-sense-for-bills/

You can call it a luxury, although it seems much more like a necessity.

A 14-year quarterback whose primary role is to serve as an extra coach? How in the world can the Buffalo Bills — or almost any NFL team — afford that when there are so many other priorities that require players who actually play?

Here’s how: Their need for someone like Derek Anderson, who they signed as a free agent Tuesday, was great enough for them to justify going with one fewer player at another spot, which happened to be safety.

Why? Because so much of the franchise’s future hinges on the development of Josh Allen, and Anderson can do plenty to help it along with what he knows, what he says and what he does. It doesn’t mean the Bills aren’t interested in winning in the short term, but it does underscore their intention of sticking with the plan to build sustainable success.

The first step in Anderson’s mentoring came Wednesday at 5:50 a.m. That was when he arrived at One Bills Drive to lift weights.

Allen showed up at his usual time of 6:10 a.m. The 22-year-old rookie immediately took note of the fact the 35-year-old veteran had already been in the building for 20 minutes.

“Seeing him get here early, lifting earlier than us, and just kind of talking with him out in practice, after practice, just the things that he’s kind of been through, the things that he sees,” Allen said, listing all of immediate ways Anderson’s presence was already benefiting him. “He’s got a lot of experience in this league. He’s a guy that is going to help me and Nate (Peterman) out and we’re lucky to have him.”

Peterman is in his second NFL season, so he can also prosper from having an old pro around. But he isn’t as rough around the edges as Allen, even if he’s less talented. The Bills also aren’t depending on their 2017 fifth-round draft choice to be their starter for double-digit seasons, as is the case with the seventh overall pick of last April’s draft.

David Culley, the Bills’ quarterbacks coach, and Brian Daboll, the offensive coordinator, can only provide so much information. Most of what they discuss is of the X-and-O variety as seen through the eyes of men who have never taken a single snap in the league.

Anderson knows how it looks from behind the line of scrimmage. He understands how defenses react to certain formations and pre-snap motion. He can anticipate blitzes and identify where openings are in coverage. He has lived the life of an NFL quarterback more than half the years Allen and Peterman have been alive.

“I’ve seen a lot of football. I’ve been through a lot of ups and downs in my career and (can) just be a guy that (Allen) can lean on,” Anderson said. “(He can) ask me any question. I said, ‘Bud, I’m here for you. If you need me to watch a guy or find something special or something you’re unsure of,’ and things like that.” 

Anderson spent the past seven years with the Carolina Panthers. That was where Bills General Manager Brandon Beane, a member of the Panthers’ front office for most of that time, and coach Sean McDermott, Carolina’s defensive coordinator for most of that time, saw Anderson interact with the team’s franchise QB, Cam Newton.

They believe Allen is enough of a sponge to soak in everything Anderson has to offer, something that was evident after Wednesday’s practice when the two were involved in a deep, hand-moving football conversation from which Allen had to be pulled away to speak with reporters.

“Josh is a constant learner,” McDermott said. “He loves the growth mindset and embraces that. He has a whole heck of a lot of respect for people who have been around the game, very little ego. I know, in my own career, if you're able to sit next to someone that's been there and done that before, there’s a lot of value in that, in particular when they’ve had success like Derek has.”

Anderson had his days as a viable NFL starter. He made the Pro Bowl after helping the Cleveland Browns to a 10-6 finish in 2007. He had legit numbers, throwing for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns. He threw with tremendous velocity, as his 6-foot-6, 235-pound frame suggested he could.

Anderson remained with the Browns through 2009, then signed with the Arizona Cardinals in 2010. A year later, his view of himself as a pro quarterback switched from someone striving to be a star to someone who wanted to be a star-maker. Anderson reached out to Rob Chudzinski, who had just been named the Panthers’ offensive coordinator and who had been Anderson’s OC for two seasons in Cleveland.

“I said, ‘Hey, bud, I know I have gone through a lot of the things I have, but there is something I can give back to (Newton). Give me a chance to come in there with Cam,’ ” Anderson recalled. “I didn’t know Cam, I didn’t know anyone there and I was lucky to have that opportunity. It was a blast.

Seeing Cam his rookie year, at times we didn’t know what we were doing. Then, to eventually get to the Super Bowl and to where he’s at now and he wins the league MVP, it’s something that I’m very proud to be a part of. Obviously, I wasn’t the only one to help him along the way, but helping the coaches, they bounced things off of me. It (was) a good working relationship.”

Ken Dorsey had a firsthand look at how well Anderson handled being a mentor when Dorsey was the Panthers’ quarterbacks coach from 2013 to 2017. Among the many traits Dorsey saw that made Anderson the perfect coach-in-shoulder-pads for Newton was his selflessness.

“I think he was big in helping Cam and a big reason why we were able to go to the playoffs four of the last five years,” Dorsey, now an assistant athletic director at Florida International University, said by phone. “And I think he has a lot to do with that because of the trust factor he developed with Cam and the extra set of eyes he provided on the field, in the the film room either during meetings or when those guys are watching film on their own. And having that type of experience is invaluable.”

Whether Anderson is in uniform for Sunday’s game against the Houston Texans is unknown. He hasn’t practiced with an NFL team since the end of last season. He said he drew some interest during the league’s free-agency period, but “didn’t really feel comfortable” with the feelers he received.

Although Anderson worked with his personal trainer at Arizona — where he lives with his wife and their three young children — he did begin to think his playing days might be over. He was starting to wrap his mind around spending a year chasing after the kids (who are four, two and one) and getting used to being a former player before pursuing another means of earning a paycheck.

Then, a week ago, while vacationing with his family, Anderson received a call from the Bills.

“I was like, ‘Just give me a couple days, I can finish this vacation up,’ ” he said. “I left. Miss the kids, miss my wife, but very happy to be here.”

That shouldn’t be mistaken for someone who is simply happy to still have a job in the NFL or who is thrilled with not feeling the pressure to perform on the field.

Anderson would more than welcome the chance to play. That is something he wants Allen and Peterman to know as much as anyone.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a competitor,” Anderson said. “I’m going to push them once my old body starts feeling right. I’m going to go out and practice like I always have.”

Still, the Bills want the best work he does to show up every time Allen takes the field.

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, TheStateofWarshingtun said:

Fun useless geography fact

<snip>

Also remember being a kid and getting to watch Anderson play in college at OSU. Those OSU teams were fun to watch.

Last I heard Anderson and Swancutt are still golfing buddies.

Edited by Uncle Joe

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My argument is to disprove a falsehood: that teams bring in vets to mentor young QBs.  You said they all do it.  Now you're saying "well, there was already a vet on the team".  Well, yes, there is always another QB on the team.  So what?

I listed nearly every recently drafted the starter and their backup at the time.  The list of backups were mostly a joke as far as being mentors--other than McKown, none of them could credibly be described as a mentor.  Just already being the QB on a roster when the rookie gets there is completely different than bringing in a guy specifically for that purpose, and has nothing to do with "mentoring".  Most of those guys were QBs who just lost their starting jobs (or any hope of starting) when the rookie was drafted.

So no, virtually every team does not have a "mentor" QB on the roster.  Few do in fact.

It's implicit that if you have a veteran QB on your team there is no need to bring in another one to "mentor." 

The Bills knew they were drafting a rookie and they brought in McCarron as a veteran. Then they just traded him which was stupid. 

The Jets knew they were drafting a QB and they re-signed McCown specifically for that role. 

The Browns knew they were drafting a QB and they specifically brought in Tyrod to start right away and mentor Mayfield. They said it publicly. 

The Cards knew they were drafting a QB and they signed Bradford as the vet for one season. 

The Bears knew they were drafting a QB but ( stupidly) signed Glennon who had already played three years to be the veteran so they wouldn't have to start the rookie. 

The Rams had Keenum and started him so they didn't have to start the rookie Goff. 

The Eagles had Bradford and Chase Daniel who had played six seasons when they drafted Wentz but they traded Bradford when Bridgewater got hurt. 

The Bills were the only team that didn't have a veteran around to help the rookie. Mettenberger and the Titans four years ago was a good answer of a team that didn't, and while I wasn't thinking specially about them, I knew that once in a great while it happened so I said "virtually" every team. And every single one of them is also there to mentor the rookie. Some do it begrudgingly. 

• Thank you (+1) 2