Derek Anderson signed; Peterman QB2 week 6; Anderson Presser

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Did he say, i'm here to compete for the starting job of this 2-3 team and take it away from Josh Allen who I'm supposed to mentor. And then, when I win the starting role, I'm going to nominate Nathan Peterman as the starting QB and tank the entire season?

Maybe if you play it backwards there is a secret message?

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

i think the real question is.......was Shady in the plans for next year?

...doubtful IMO....and I don;t see too many "raised eyebrows" among the other 31 GM's if he is not.......he is due $6+ mil in 2019 which is a fairly tall tariff for 31..(Jesus, wish I could REMEMBER 31).....so Roseman giving up a highly doubtful 2nd or even a 3rd doesn't make much sense for a 2018 band aid....with a big number in 2019.....

3 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I don't see Anderson providing anymore than McCarron could have. 

Yes his 47 starts is totally comparable to McCarron's 3. Or the fact that he has experience filling out a similar role in his 7 years at Carolina which happens to be 3 years longer than McCarron has even been in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I don't see Anderson providing anymore than McCarron could have. 

McCarron provided a fifth round pick, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

A fourth for Anderson seems unlikely.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Of course.  No one is going to pay a QB just to be a mentor and not be expected to play if the need arises. 

No, not 3-4 years.  That's AJM and they shipped him off.  They're looking for someone with more than a decade of experience and someone who has proven not to be looking to be the starter.

I read upstream that's plenty of time---look at guys like Glennon and Henne and Mettenberger, etc....mentoring after only a handful of seasons.

I don’t know if Anderson is here to mentor or play, but I strongly believe that the Bills’ handling of their expensive (draft capital) rookie QB was poorly thought out.  They clearly initially did not want him to play early as they had him taking 3rd team reps for most of camp. However, they completely failed to have a viable stop-gap veteran starter available to play now.  

Now, with him being forced to play with no other option and a (understandably) very poor supporting cast, it is a certifiable disaster playing an extremely raw rookie behind a very poor OL with literally no NFL starting caliber WR.  It is almost as if they are trying to ruin him and have him run out of town before he even understands what life in the NFL is about.

I am generally OK with Beane and McDermott, but this appears to me to be a MAJOR mistake.  Now, they can’t really backtrack and bench him without most assuming that Allen is a bust.  I don’t see a scenario where Allen could reasonably have a chance to recover if he is benched for career backup Anderson.  Fans and media would pile on and Allen’s psyche would likely be destroyed.

How very unfortunate that the front office could not realize that if the plan was to sit Allen (as Patrick Mahomes was) that they needed a viable veteran alternative.

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This guy had one good year in Cleveland and has been hot garbage ever since. We should've went with Matt Moore.

Would depend if Matt Moore even wanted to come. Also I like that McDermott and Bean knew him in Carolina when he was filling the same role. Also if Matt Moore is a better player(not exactly the most important quality here) it's not by much. What I really like about this choice is he's been brought in to do the same thing before and seems to enjoy filling that role.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I read upstream that's plenty of time---look at guys like Glennon and Henne and Mettenberger, etc....mentoring after only a handful of seasons.

Chad Henne, sure.  Glennon, not really.  Mettenberger?  NFW.