The Draft Network - Josh Allen's Struggles Go Beyond Lackluster Supporting Cast

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Please! Tebow was an absolute horror show as an NFL QB who couldn't even make throws at the NFL level.  Heisman doesn't have jack to do with the equation in the NFL. 

Not to mention that only a idiot would make a determination on a rookie 5 games into his rookie season on a rebiulding team

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not to mention that only a idiot would make a determination on a rookie 5 games into his rookie season on a rebiulding team

If I remember correctly a good amount of people did exactly that with EJ.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm just curious: What is it about this article that makes it seem biased? What about the article is unfair or inaccurate?

Well, I laid it out in another post.  Let me know what's insufficiently clear.

The analysis itself is reasonably sound, but because of the fact that he doesn't mention JA's overall college YPG average or best YPG average - only the worst - and the fact that he doesn't diagram or mention any of JA's good pass plays to date - it does seem biased, and thus unfair.  He's referring to "highs and lows" without describing any highs.

There's nothing wrong with cherry-picking to make a point - provided you're up-front that that's what you're doing.  If he said "JA's troubles as an NFL QB go beyond his miserable WR crew and porous line, and I'm going to choose 3 unsuccessful plays where he did have open receiver options to illustrate this point.  He has also shown flashes,  but I'm going to focus on the gaps in this piece" that would seem fair and unbiased.

Allen has mostly been terrible so far, but the pleasant surprise is that the defense has been outstanding since halftime of the Chargers game.

The Bills look like they're a QB and #1 WR away from having an actual contender of a football team. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

This is a good video. I thought this was Allens worst game. 

Lets not forget the Titans are a very well run defense. 

Im not hitting the panic button. I think the second half of the season will say more about Allen and his ability to get acclimated with the position. 

Allens worst game? He made 2 critical passes on a game winning drive. The short dump offs that he's always been inaccurate with. The running game was working so Allen didn't have to put the last drive on his shoulders, but whos to say he wouldn't of made a long pass and got them into field goal range? It wasn't his best game, but most certaintly wasn't his worst. Come on, man.

5 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Watching Allen try to play qb is brutal. Dont turn the ball over and force the Bills to go the entire field equals opponents win.

He managed the game well and won. Stats aren't everything.

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It should be noted that Jon Ledyard is a high school football coach and part-time trainer. He has no NFL personnel credibility.   Has never officially scouted a player nor has he ever worked in the NFL.  Not making this up:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/author/jonledyard/

It it would be like us evaluating prospects.  

With thay being said,  Allen does not look good.  He’s not wrong - but people need to stop pretending Ledyard’s word is gospel.  He’s a hack writer 

Edited by GreatComeback

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Allens worst game? He made 2 critical passes on a game winning drive. The short dump offs that he's always been inaccurate with. The running game was working so Allen didn't have to put the last drive on his shoulders, but whos to say he wouldn't of made a long pass and got them into field goal range? It wasn't his best game, but most certaintly wasn't his worst. Come on, man.

His stats are literally the worst of any QB in the NFL right now. The only two QBs remotely close to Allen have already been benched and replaced. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

His stats are literally the worst of any QB in the NFL right now. The only two QBs remotely close to Allen have already been benched and replaced. 

Was the interception to Holmes his fault?

4 minutes ago, GreatComeback said:

It should be noted that Jon Ledyard is a high school football coach and part-time trainer. He has no NFL personnel credibility.   Has never officially scouted a player nor has he ever worked in the NFL.  Not making this up:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/author/jonledyard/

It it would be like us evaluating prospects.  

With thay being said,  Allen does not look good.  He’s not wrong - but people need to stop pretending Ledyard’s word is gospel.  He’s a hack writer 

:huh: Ledyard didn't write this. Joe Marino did.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

If I remember correctly a good amount of people did exactly that with EJ.

Have you figured out why you do this yet?

Literally for years now, when any Bills fan post anything hopeful, you respond with a classic Debbie downer.

54 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And there are several reasons why for his bad numbers in college...

Have we not been through all this?   If he was a total liability he would not be leading this team.....and we would not be 2-3

So are we saying Josh Allen is Tim Tebow?

Ya, like inaccuracy, zero ability to read a defense, can't go through progressions quick, below average pocket awareness, etc.

The same reasons that he is having trouble in the NFL.

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Ya, like inaccuracy, zero ability to read a defense, can't go through progressions quick, below average pocket awareness, etc.

Hes already proven he can read a defense to some extent. Everything you've listed are rookie problems.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: Ledyard didn't write this. Joe Marino did.   

Ah ok....Joe Marino has less experienced and less credible than Ledyard.  That should tell ya something.  

But I’ll give him his due, this this was a good article.  But he less of an informed opinion than Nate Geary Of WGR or Jon “Yards Per Pass” Ramsey.  

So, they pick out five plays that didn't work and that's analysis?  Now let's do Brady or even Mayfield (who had his share of brutal plays). 

1. Seriously, they are going to criticize a batted down pass? Please. 
  2. Play #2 is a legitimate mistake on Allen's part. He should have thrown to Clay but you can see he wanted to make a big play on 2nd and long. Rookie mistake. 
  3. This strange route seems like an odd play to harp on. 
  4. The pass to KB over the middle was indeed low but had plenty of zip and tracked the route runner.  It was certainly not uncatchable and the defender had no chance to intercept.  
  5. The Zay Jones route over the middle ignores the fact that the defense broke through the protection before Jones made his cut.  

What I saw:

• Only 19 passes, completing 10. 
  • At least three were smart throwaways
  • No dumb mistakes to hurt the team (No, I'm not counting the interception that went through Holmes hands)
  • QB'd a game winning drive. 
  • Nothing spectacular but a rookie who is learning to play (with very poor receivers). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GreatComeback said:

Ah ok....Joe Marino has less experienced and less credible than Ledyard.  That should tell ya something.  

But I’ll give him his due, this this was a good article.  But he less of an informed opinion than Nate Geary Of WGR or Jon “Yards Per Pass” Ramsey.  

It doesn't tell me anything. They are either correct in their analysis or they aren't with knowledgeable breakdowns of QB traits, mechanics, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

I’ve seen him read defenses, and go through progressions quickly.  On the latter, there is no other way to do it with our line - and he has definitely gone through progressions.

I think he’s shown a ton of poise, given the circumstances.

11 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It wasnt about the stats. There were a lot of passes that were area code accuracy. 

I saw a lot of balls that were too low that his arm should have had no problem reaching the target. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ramza86 said:

It wasnt about the stats. There were a lot of passes that were area code accuracy. 

I saw a lot of balls that were too low that his arm should have had no problem reaching the target. 

He didn't have a bad game "for a rookie." He gained valuable experience and made some crucial throws. I just think you are being tough on him.

12 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Did he or did he not get the win? Is it or is it not his 4th game starting? What other QBs are you talking about? Fitzpatrick who's been in the league for 20 years? 

I don't care about stats, I care about wins. That's the bottom line.