The Draft Network - Josh Allen's Struggles Go Beyond Lackluster Supporting Cast

HappyDays

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Kizer threw for 2800 yards and added 400 yards rushing as a rookie. He was rightfully dismissed.

Do you see Allen approaching those numbers?

He's practically on pace for that right now. Factor in experience, opponents, and more home games down the stretch and I'd say it's more than likely he eclipses those numbers. The number Allen really needs to avoid is Kizer's turnover number. 28 in 15 starts is pretty rough.

47 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm sure there were more, but @thebandit27 & @Turbosrrgood both really liked Mahomes pre-draft. Jeffismagic left the board because we didn't draft him, among other things. I wasn't very high on any of the QBs that year, but favored Watson over the rest. Footwork was my major concern with Mahomes.

Blokes and I were the original "Mahomers" on this board...back in June of 2016:

Turbos wasn't far behind though.

Jeff and Billsareback were very late bloomers.

1 hour ago, Success said:

There is so much revisionist history about Mahomes now.  I can’t even remember one poster wanting him in that draft.  It was consensus that we fleeced KC, and most were ridiculing Reid for trading up to get a guy that was a 2nd rounder at best.  The board would have gone nuts if we took him in the first, and not in a good way.

Now, every other poster is all “I was saying we should have taken him - top player on my board.”  It’s like everyone from the ‘60’s saying they were at Woodstock.

In my defense, I wasn’t a poster here at the time. Mahomes was my favorite QB prospect since the Jameis/Mariota draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is a winner.He has that look about him. Yes he has accuracy problems and is extremely raw. But we are 2-2 with him(barely;)

The O coordinator needs to call quick passes and fast developing straight forward runs..Needs to keep it simpler. The D is playing so well.

Last sundays game should have been a comfortable win by the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

In my defense, I wasn’t a poster here at the time. Mahomes was my favorite QB prospect since the Jameis/Mariota draft.

That’s cool, and I believe you.  I’m sure some did - but in terms of the board, I remember a bunch of “please no Mahomes” posts

I'm amazed at how resilient some of you guys are in your faith that Allen will come through this ok. Like, even Mitch Trubisky wasn't this raw as a rookie. It's so scary. 

This article did a great job of highlighting a bunch of the issues I've seen over the first five weeks plus preseason. Again, so much of this has absolutely nothing to do with the supporting cast. If you're still claiming it does, you didn't read the article or watch the video evidence, or any of the games really. 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/9/2018 at 10:59 PM, HappyDays said:

Yeah, he needs development. Hopefully development will be enough.

It's just nonsense, though, that mental reps don't help. They do, a great deal.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

I'm amazed at how resilient some of you guys are in your faith that Allen will come through this ok. Like, even Mitch Trubisky wasn't this raw as a rookie. It's so scary. 

This article did a great job of highlighting a bunch of the issues I've seen over the first five weeks plus preseason. Again, so much of this has absolutely nothing to do with the supporting cast. If you're still claiming it does, you didn't read the article or watch the video evidence, or any of the games really. 

Do hang around as Josh Allen improves with your "observations" dont go running into a hole.

8 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No. Nobody aside from maybe Deshone Kizer has looked as bad as Peterman did this year. Peterman is measurably the worst QB to get this many chances this millennium.

Nah. Pretty much nothing about this is measureable. You can come up with one number but there are hundreds that factor in. It's all opinion. Educated opinion but opinion.

Peterman might still be very successful. The odds dipped after that recent game but it's not like Allen passed significantly better than Peterman did under the same circumstances. What Allen did in that game was run better.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Do hang around as Josh Allen improves with your "observations" dont go running into a hole.

Believe me I'll be first in line to eat crow if it means Josh is figuring it out. 20 years of sh!tty QB play has me a little on the cynical side. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Offensively what has this regime done.  Mcd has proven that he's a DC and has no clue how to build a modern day NFL offense.  This WR core is his this Oline is his guys his offensive stuff is horrible he brought these guys here.  Mcd hasn't proven anything but utter incompetence on the offensive side of the ball. This is the reason he will get the can after next season.  When we struggle even with the additions he will make on this offense. This front office and coaching staff will set this team bk a decade. Keep buying this process there feeding u. When the process has been nothing but incompetence since the first day.

You're either trolling or clueless.

Saying McD has proven he has no clue how to build a modern day NFL offense is like saying a woman who's four months pregnant has proven she can't develop a baby to full term.

In both cases it's so early that anyone who thinks he can make a final judgment is saying far more about his lack of understanding than he is about McD.

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

good analysis of this play (and Allen’s struggle reading a defense) by Erik Turner (Cover 1). 

Where are the "We need better support players and WRs for Allen!" on this one?

On just about every passing play I have seen broken down to this level (with a good overhead view of the whole field) there are 1 or 2 receivers open, but Allen doesn't see them or throw to them.

We can have the best WRs in the league but they aren't going to be any better at catching passes never thrown to them.

This stuff is what has dogged Allen throughout his collegiate career and why people use terms like "Raw" to describe him.  That's just one way of saying "he doesn't get it."

Will he?  And within the amount of time the team will give him?

He probably has what? 20 games to show he can do it?  

The clock is ticking.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

For a game.....oh by the way that team still made the playoffs lol

They didnt cut TT....they TRADED him (get your facts straight)....and yes....they addressed the QB position in a big way by making drafting a QB high that had consideration for the number one overall pick......but I have this sneaking suspiciion that had they KEPT Tyrod you would be bitching about that....you know cuz troll posts.

Because they are rebiulding....do you understand

Because he is a rookie, raw, and they are rebiulding

You have absolutely no idea how the transactions take place....the player actually wants to come here...this isnt Madden you know?

No its actually what you punch bowl pissers like to call a debacle.....for all we know this was part of the plan.....they are REBIULDING.   yet despite all this we are 2-3

How in the $*$& would you know what "handled correctly" even means armchair GM?   I am quite sure your resume would be taken into consideration if you submitted it they are always looking for people to clean the urinals?

We are here every day Mr. under 50 posts......supporting the team.   Your evaluation means less then spit

Intead of fleacing I am thinking it ended up being a fair trade.....we didnt JUST get the 1st round pick out of the deal.

You've proven my point, thank you. 

The entire Qb position has been a DEBACLE from the word go.   This regime has zero clue on how to handle it. 

You simply make excuses and chalk it up to rebuilding and being raw.   It's hilarious.  It's called ineptitude and there is plenty of it going on around the Qb position. 

Furthermore I could care less about the amount of posts you, I, or anyone else has.   It literally has nothing to do with the accuracy or knowledge of the topic we are discussing.  I didn't just roll up on this board, I've been a member for 7 years who mainly read. 

I was a member of the Bills message board for YEARS before it was closed down, so please,  spare me the childish banter. 

Allen sucks, Tyrod was cut/traded (doesn't make a difference which, the effect remains) McCarron was acquired then sent packing, and we've made a Qb change after one game this season.  After realizing how bad they screwed up the Qb situation in the off-season, they've  now signed another Qb citing the reason as a veteran mentor. 

If you can't see how terrible their process of evaluating and selecting starting Qbs is by the horrible decisions they've made and continue to make, I really don't know what more to say to you. 

PS...for the record, I'm a GM in real life.  So I'm not an "arm chair" GM.   I assess, recruit, and release talent on a regular basis. It's not football related, it's business related. Same difference. 

Edited by TwistofFate

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

You've proven my point, thank you. 

The entire Qb position has been a DEBACLE from the word go.   This regime has zero clue on how to handle it. 

You simply make excuses and chalk it up to rebuilding and being raw.   It's hilarious.  It's called ineptitude and there is plenty of it going on around the Qb position. 

Furthermore I could care less about the amount of posts you, I, or anyone else has.   It literally has nothing to do with the accuracy or knowledge of the topic we are discussing.  I didn't just roll up on this board, I've been a member for 7 years who mainly read. 

I was a member of the Bills message board for YEARS before it was closed down, so please,  spare me the childish banter. 

Allen sucks, Tyrod was cut/traded (doesn't make a difference which, the effect remains) McCarron was acquired then sent packing, and we've made a Qb change after one game this season.  After realizing how bad they screwed up the Qb situation in the off-season, they've  now signed another Qb citing the reason as a veteran mentor. 

If you can't see how terrible their process of evaluating and selecting starting Qbs is by the horrible decisions they've made and continue to make, I really don't know what more to say to you. 

Your fricken delusional

Delusional....? 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/21/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-tyrod-taylor-nathan-peterman-process-nfl-week-12/

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/20/16679622/transcript-sean-mcdermott-nathan-peterman-tyrod-taylor-on-chargers-game-debacle

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/31/buffalo-bills-aj-mcarron/

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/26/josh-allen-josh-rosen-lamar-jackson/

Tell me more about how I'm delusional. 

This regime has made mistake after mistake. 

The Anderson signing again shows they don't know what they're doing, and to make matter worse,  McD refuses to admit he's made multiple mistakes at the position. 

He continues to avoid answering directly when questioned by offering up responses such as,  I did what's best for the team, we are trying to win now and in the future, I did what's best for the team, we're looking to grow and learn, and I did what's best for the team.   By the way, have I told about the process yet? 

Edited by TwistofFate