The Draft Network - Josh Allen's Struggles Go Beyond Lackluster Supporting Cast

HappyDays

37 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If you actually provided film breakdowns, you could be. That's kind of the beauty of America; if you're willing to put the work in and know what you're doing, there's a decent chance you can carve out a niche for yourself like he has.

I definitely give him credit for the hustle!  That’s awesome no doubt!

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I truly enjoy the hyperbole that other QBs would look the same if not worse in our offense.

1) Baker Mayfield is playing on arguably the worst team in NFL history who have Landry and a bunch of young unproven talent.

2) Sam Darnold was traded up for, but the Jets still finished with the sixth overall pick. They are not a quality team and Sam is playing extremely well for them.

3) Josh Rosen is on a team many have felt were worse than the Bills, and yet is playing very good ball.

all three of those teams have better players around their qb  Your crazy if you think otherwise.  Cards O line might be almost as bad as ours, Jets and Browns without question are superior talent wise.

11 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Cry about it.

I blasted Allen pretty relentlessly last week. Doesn’t mean I can’t recognize a biased writer when I see one.

I'm just curious: What is it about this article that makes it seem biased? What about the article is unfair or inaccurate?

• Like (+1) 1

Watched  the film, some of his analysis seems good and others I'd question.  I think he's assuming a guy in his 4th start should know more than most guys do.  And his attempt to draw comparisons to performances in college, where he also had limited resources around him, to somehow say he was bad then and will be bad now, is a little absurd to me.

To old farts like me there are just way too many of these sites where guys I've never heard of offer up these critiques as if they're experts.  And when I ask what his expertise is (because, again, when you google his name I couldn't find a bio)  all I get are snarky comments. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, no name said:

who's watching mahomes?

those drooling over him. like you?

Instead of watching boring NFL games, I generally find myself watching NFL Gameday Live.  It's more fun to watch highlights of every game vs a single commercial break filled game.

25 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Cry about it.

I blasted Allen pretty relentlessly last week. Doesn’t mean I can’t recognize a biased writer when I see one.

I wanted the other Josh, but that ship has long since sailed. Allen is who we have, I am not sure I see any bias in this article at all - it is pretty even keel and highlights the areas he needs to develop in. It also shows that he is also part of the offenses problem, which should be surprising to anyone seeing he is pretty close to the same QB 9 months ago in Wyoming as he is now. 

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills fans seriously need to get thicker skin. It's embarrassing. 

No one said he's a bust. No one denied that he was already known to be raw.

It's a simple article. It states that Allen hasn't played particularly well so far and lists some areas in which he can improve. 

Toughen. The. !@#$. Up.

My skin is plenty tough I disregard most of this stuff. My point is reaffirming in a sarcastic nature that there are plenty on this board and in the national viewpoint that want him to bust or feel strongly that he will and look to raffirm it weekly

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

That guy didn’t blame the INT on Josh, did he?

No he only talked about maybe 5 plays, and his analysis of those plays is fair. This really shouldn't surprise anyone. Allen was considered extremely raw. It's going to take a season for him to develop even in the most optimistic scenario. The one thing that disappoints me is I thought he made progress against Minnesota and now we're back to square one. I think defenses are keeping a spy on him now so he needs to get better with his pocket movement. He bails too early and he isn't reading coverages post-snap yet. But it's still really early and no one, including Joe Marino, is saying he can't improve.

• Like (+1) 1

Right now Allen is a taller version of Jake Locker, which is bad, because I hated Jake Locker's game in college and in the pros.  He was not all that accurate in college and I never saw that getting better in the NFL.  Tennessee finally benched him after he ran too much and finally got himself injured, and ultimately ended up on inured reserve.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Instead of watching boring NFL games, I generally find myself watching NFL Gameday Live.  It's more fun to watch highlights of every game vs a single commercial break filled game.

good for you. I seldom watch other games. my team may not be exciting to watch, of course that can be on the individual, sunday was exciting at times to me.

if it's an upcoming opponent  I may watch some of that game like the 5-10 mins I saw of the houston game the other night.

The Bills are a completely new offense this year.  It takes time.  To me the greatest criticism has to be given to Daboll and McD for what looks like a lack of commitment to the running game prior to this past week.  It all starts with that, especially when you have a rookie QB and a stable of WR's none of which will probably be on this team in a couple years. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I do have a quibble w/ the 3rd video analysis...the guy says there's 'no explanation' for Allen's poor mechanics on that throw (and they were poor, no doubt), but he pretty obviously identified the blitz presnap and shifted protection to accommodate for it. The throw was rushed because A- that's his hot once they call that blitz+pass pro and B- for sure he was nervous re: the line holding up against pressure, whether he had identified the right blocking, etc...overall the play is negative because he made a poor throw, but I think he actually showed growth in an area he needs to on that particular play. Analyst doesn't make much of an effort mentioning how identifying pressure and reacting is something Allen needs to work on, and although again throw was bad I think this was a positive play in his development. Maybe that's the homer in me but so be it.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Did you even read the article? 

It's actually a good assessment...

Yes, I did read the article. I find college performances against Hawaii and Oregon to be less of a comparison than how other rookies have played in their first NFL games where the speed of play and level of competition is higher.

The writer discusses Allen losing velocity on a throw because he did not step up when people were clearly at his feet. He also noted that Allen left a collapsing pocket rather than hit Zay Jones on a 2 yard out, look at collapsing pocket, he did what he could. I agreed with his other 2 clips, Allen needs to improve on those plays. Some good/some bad.    

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

" The highs and lows of Josh Allen won’t just be game to game "

Reading that piece, I'm amazed to learn that Josh Allen has any highs.

In general, when someone spends half the writing in their piece highlighting someone's worst college performances, says nothing about their best college performances or even their average college performances, and then says "Allen was never a “good” college quarterback, so expecting him to be a good NFL quarterback is a tall order. So why draft a player who was never a “good” college player at his position?", it ought to provoke well-justified skepticism when they tell you " I don’t have an agenda and I’m not trying to push any narratives."

It's kind of a shame, because the fundamental analysis of the plays he chose has some good points but IMHO it's quite colored by his agenda.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I truly enjoy the hyperbole that other QBs would look the same if not worse in our offense.

1) Baker Mayfield is playing on arguably the worst team (last year) in NFL history who have Landry and a bunch of young unproven talent.  (Landry is arguably THE BEST slot WR in the NFL.   Calloway is a fantastic rookie.  The TE is a physical freak.  Oh, and the O-line is much improved.  They also have a fantastic defense)  

2) Sam Darnold was traded up for, but the Jets still finished with the sixth overall pick (last year's record). They are not a quality team and Sam is playing extremely well for them.  (again, great D, better OL, and better WR's).  

3) Josh Rosen is on a team many have felt were worse than the Bills (when Bradford was the starter), and yet is playing very good ball.  (Might have something to do with David Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Kirk).  Oh, and Rosen barley has better numbers than Allen.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1