The Draft Network - Josh Allen's Struggles Go Beyond Lackluster Supporting Cast

HappyDays

4 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

I write this with no agenda or narrative, but I expected more out of Joe Marino, it’s discouraging that he doesn’t understand  what a clean pocket is at this stage.  

I’m sure Marino’s willingness to criticize Allen with pieces like this have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was a huge Allen skeptic before the draft.

Nope. None whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1

These analysts can throw out a lot of statistics to support their conclusions.  However, consider that Allen has faced 3 top 10 defensive units (in yards allowed) while Darnold has faced 1 (Jacksonville looking like a rookie) and Mayfield has faced 1 (Baltimore and squeezed out a 12-9 OT win).  That doesn't prove anything about how Allen is performing vs. his peers in the draft class but it does point out a big disparity in the quality of the opposing defenses they've faced.  In baseball parlance, Allen has faced a lot of 'major league pitching' and has a 2-2 record.  His peers are hitting a lot of homers in the minors.  With the strength of schedule becoming more favorable to the Bills the rest of the way I'm expecting Allen's QB stats to reflect that factor. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

A raw rookie that needed a year is raw

shocker

A raw rookie that had limited reps with the 1st unit during preseason and 4 actual game starts up to now. Bills are 2 - 2 in those starts defeating 2 playoff caliber football teams. The fact that Allen is about as raw as they get and still managed the Titans game like a savvy veteran speaks volumes IMO. 

Josh Allens ability to run the football will help carry him to where he needs to be in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I’m sure Marino’s willingness to criticize Allen with pieces like this have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was a huge Allen skeptic before the draft.

Nope. None whatsoever.

Jesus Christ.

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Right on cue!  This is objective and fair analysis.  Just because you never heard of Marino it doesn't mean his assessment isn't accurate. 

Correct.  But instead of just throwing out some snarky comment, why not actually give me some data in what the guy's background is so I can judge whether he has expertise?  maybe it's because he doesn't.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Correct.  But instead of just throwing out some snarky comment, why not actually give me some data in what the guy's background is so I can judge whether he has expertise?  maybe it's because he doesn't.

Do your own research before throwing shade at him.  The bottom line is you'd have the same reaction based on your previous history irrespective of whose analysis it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The visceral reactionary Josh Allen defenses without even reading the analysis are pretty sad. 

To be honest corner your attacking of josh Allen supporter because you didn’t agree with the pick is pretty sad

never saw you do that before this year you have always seemed very level headed now you go out of your way to do this

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ok, and we knew he would take time to learn back BEFORE he was drafted. Why do the expectations change? Right now he is as advertised. Since we drafted him we have:

Given him 3rd and 2nd team reps mostly in TC and preseason

Not upgraded anything on offense to support a very inexperienced rookie

Given him a QB coach in Culley that before last year hadn't coached QBs since the 80s.

Have him play behind a Castillo led oline.

Had we moved up for Darnold or taken Rosen instead I truly believe neither one would look any better in this offense. We Will have a much better feel for what we have in Allen about 8 games into next season. 

Let the kid get all the 1st team reps in the off season. Let him hold some private workouts with newly signed receivers and get timing and trust down. He may sink or he may swim, but calling him a failure this soon after knowing he would take time is just idiotic.

Thank you...to be honest, I was not an Allen fan pre-draft, and my conclusions on him are still in the air until next season. Not that we should be expecting the worst, but let's humor the hypothetical right now: 

We go into this offseason with draft capital (10 picks) and a hefty purse to spend. We use this to build a team around Allen and address position needs. We give Allen this team to take into next season and get a better sense of how he will progress in later years and determine if drafting another QB is going to be necessary. What's actually a silver lining here is his raw, undeveloped potential - where if he doesn't develop at all, we're looking at a high draft pick we can likely use on another QB in 2020. If he does develop, then awesome, we have a QB of the future and what we hope to be a strong team having upgraded multiple positions the year before.

By no way in means have I cashed in my Allen ticket just yet - I think it's ridiculous to speculate at all how this kid may turn out after only 4 games. One thing we do know is this isn't unfamiliar for him. He's been the "raw" "undeveloped" QB his whole life, and supposedly has the mental toughness to deal with early struggles and external pressure. But there's no reason Allen sends us down another 18 year drought, we just need to enjoy the process, however it ends up.

Update: the one piece in relation to the article that really has me behind the "let go of Culley" train is that it is evidently clear Allen needs to develop beyond x's and o's with footwork, pocket presence, and mechanics to properly maximize his physical traits. This is why the Andersen signing has me scratching my head - footwork and mechanics should be taught from the QB coach, and I just don't trust Culley to be the guy Allen needs right now. Do we really think Andersen is going to sit down with Allen and walk him through proper footwork mechanics to maximize his arm strength? Please...let's invest in our future and bring in a true QB coach to help this kid along. Andersen likely can't hurt (I say with caution), but the greater need here is guidance from a coach.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

To be honest corner your attacking of josh Allen supporter because you didn’t agree with the pick is pretty sad

never saw you do that before this year you have always seemed very level headed now you go out of your way to do this

I'm not a cheerleading homer . I say what I see just as I did with Peterman when people gave me crap about it.  The difference is Allen has real talent and he can be good if he puts it all together. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

A raw rookie that had limited reps with the 1st unit during preseason and 4 actual game starts up to now. Bills are 2 - 2 in those starts defeating 2 playoff caliber football teams. The fact that Allen is about as raw as they get and still managed the Titans game like a savvy veteran speaks volumes IMO. 

Josh Allens ability to run the football will help carry him to where he needs to be in the passing game.

I fully expect josh to get better as the season goes on

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do your own research before throwing shade at him.  The bottom line is you'd have the same reaction based on your previous history irrespective of whose analysis it is. 

Why do you refuse to read?  Why?  One of the first things I wrote was that I tried to Google the guy to see what his background was, and couldn't find anything.  So I asked folks here about it so I can judge.

Instead of giving me info, all you want to do is throw out snarky crap.  If you know about his background, why not share it?  He breaks down this 22 film stuff as if he's a pro.  It would be helpful to me to know something about his background to evaluate his critique.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

With Woodyard healthy maybe, but he was out that game. Casey was the only notable run stuffer playing on Sunday. Not to mention a few outlets have the Titans run defense in the bottom half of the league: ESPN has them at 26 currently against the run, PFF has them at 13 fwiw

Sorry I meant run as in managed well as a whole.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't begrudge people making a living in the sports media world. More power to them. However, any rational person knows that's most sport media analyst don't have the qualifications to make assessments on such a small sample size. What's even more troubling, is how many people read this trash and believe it.  

• Like (+1) 2

The other rookies are looking more solid right now, and more polished.  But in the long run - and this could just be the homer in me - I’m glad we got Allen.

He just seems more suited for Buffalo than the others, and that’s probably because he reminds me a bit of Kelly.  He has that kind of toughness - a linebacker mentality with QB skills.  And that arm is electric.