The Draft Network - Josh Allen's Struggles Go Beyond Lackluster Supporting Cast

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

Peyton Manning's first 5 starts, the Colts avg. 10 points a game and went 0-4 and ended up 3-13. That was with Faulk and Harrison as weapons. Troy Aikman threw 8 interceptions in his first 4 starts. Josh Allen just beat 2 playoff teams in his first 4 starts. I think Allen deserves some time to progress.   

Did you even read the article? 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Right on cue!  This is objective and fair analysis.  Just because you never heard of Marino it doesn't mean his assessment isn't accurate. 

It's actually a good assessment...

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

Peyton Manning's first 5 starts, the Colts avg. 10 points a game and went 0-4 and ended up 3-13. That was with Faulk and Harrison as weapons. Troy Aikman threw 8 interceptions in his first 4 starts. Josh Allen just beat 2 playoff teams in his first 4 starts. I think Allen deserves some time to progress.   

a better run organization wouldn't have put Payton in that position...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Did you even read the article? 

It's actually a good assessment...

The visceral reactionary Josh Allen defenses without even reading the analysis are pretty sad. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, dubs said:

If Dan Marino wrote that blog I might put some credibility into it. Joe Marino, nah. 

Basically he he wrote what we all know. Allen is a raw rookie with a ton of potential and lot to learn and a terrible supporting cast. 

Boom!  I’m a blogger for the Draft Dudes!

If you actually provided film breakdowns, you could be. That's kind of the beauty of America; if you're willing to put the work in and know what you're doing, there's a decent chance you can carve out a niche for yourself like he has.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I truly enjoy the hyperbole that other QBs would look the same if not worse in our offense.

1) Baker Mayfield is playing on arguably the worst team in NFL history who have Landry and a bunch of young unproven talent.

2) Sam Darnold was traded up for, but the Jets still finished with the sixth overall pick. They are not a quality team and Sam is playing extremely well for them.

3) Josh Rosen is on a team many have felt were worse than the Bills, and yet is playing very good ball.

1. Baker Mayfield has some of the most talented receiving options in the AFC North as a whole. Yes, AB stands alone as he's arguably the best WR in the entire NFL, but after that who comes next? Landry could be...JuJu benefits from AB on the other side, Njoku a 1st round pick, Callaway's Draft status had nothing to do with talent so that's another very talented WR and add Duke Johnson a receiving threat, Carlos Hyde doing great and then Nick Chubb who's a beast. That's not including an emerging WR in Higgins. Mayfield has the most support of any of the other three and has the most starts and experience in college.

2. Darnold had a good game this week - no caveats, but his QB rating of 77.2, with 7 TDs (good) to 6 INTS (not so good); 83 of 149. He has Anderson and Enunwa to throw to, not to mention Crowell who is playing well and a more experienced Offensive line.

3. Rosen - has a poor Offensive line but has Fitz, Kirk and David Johnson in his prime and yet had a 40% completion rate this last Sunday against a questionable 49ers Defense. And, that's taking into account the lone big play to Kirk for 75 yards and a TD. He gets credit for that absolutely, but so does the rest of the game in context. He currently has 2 TDs and 1 INT with a 49% completion rate over three games. 

I'm not down on any of these guys, including Allen. I think all of them will probably have illustrious careers when it's all said and done. I said last year and still believe 2018 QB class will be like the 1983 QB Draft class in the longevity of greatness from QBs. BUT, you CANNOT point to the other three and presume that they're doing better than Allen in nearly any way AND each of them have better receivers and according to PFF two of them (Browns and Jets) have a better Offensive lines. 

Allen has done more with less in nearly every sense of the word. He needs to continue to improve and I do believe he left plays on the field, but let's be real about what he doesn't have around him and consider all the context, please.

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I truly enjoy the hyperbole that other QBs would look the same if not worse in our offense.

1) Baker Mayfield is playing on arguably the worst team in NFL history who have Landry and a bunch of young unproven talent.

2) Sam Darnold was traded up for, but the Jets still finished with the sixth overall pick. They are not a quality team and Sam is playing extremely well for them.

3) Josh Rosen is on a team many have felt were worse than the Bills, and yet is playing very good ball.

Let's be fair here:

1) The 2017 Browns were atrocious overall.  The 2018 Browns have far better skill position players on offense than the Bills. Tell me you wouldn't take Jarvis Landry, Carlos Hyde, Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson, and David Njoku over what Buffalo has...

2) Don't look now, but the Jets have Robby Anderson (who the entire league--but not a few of us astute TSW posters--missed on in 2016), Quincy Enunwa, and Jermaine Kearse at WR.  Definitely better than our crop of WR.  Oh, and if Darnold completing 45% of his throws against Denver qualifies as "playing extremely well", then you should be thrilled with Allen.

3) What. Are. You. Talking. About.  The Cardinals just won their first game of the season behind a 10/25 performance from Rosen.

No offense, but you can't expect to have any credibility when you blast other folks supposed hyperbole and then make outlandish claims yourself.

17 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Keep hanging your hat on he's a rookie and rookies make mistakes. That's true but he's doing simple things really poorly. A better run organization would've tried to put him in a better position.

Ain't that the truth?

He needed time from the beginning--this kid was playing at Wyoming 9 months ago.  Instead of giving him time and a solid supporting cast, he gets thrown into the mix with the worst offensive personnel group in the game (by a significant margin), and people are somehow surprised that he looks like a raw-but-talented kid that was playing for Wyoming 9 months ago :lol:

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Let's be fair here:

1) The 2017 Browns were atrocious overall.  The 2018 Browns have far better skill position players on offense than the Bills. Tell me you wouldn't take Jarvis Landry, Carlos Hyde, Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson, and David Njoku over what Buffalo has...

2) Don't look now, but the Jets have Robby Anderson (who the entire league--but not a few of us astute TSW posters--missed on in 2016), Quincy Enunwa, and Jermaine Kearse at WR.  Definitely better than our crop of WR.  Oh, and if Darnold completing 45% of his throws against Denver qualifies as "playing extremely well", then you should be thrilled with Allen.

3) What. Are. You. Talking. About.  The Cardinals just won their first game of the season behind a 10/25 performance from Rosen.

No offense, but you can't expect to have any credibility when you blast other folks supposed hyperbole and then make outlandish claims yourself.

Ok, you just cheated bandit...you were looking at my paper (see post above)......

Jk Bro.... :beer:

19 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Keep hanging your hat on he's a rookie and rookies make mistakes. That's true but he's doing simple things really poorly. A better run organization would've tried to put him in a better position.

Simple things such as what?

34 minutes ago, ricojes said:

No, Peteman was "straight-up" bad.  The Bills have no chance to win with Peterman at QB.  They have a chance with Allen even though he's learning as he goes.  Allen is a project, it's no surprise he is struggling to read defenses and make the right reads.  I know it's been 4 starts and he should know by now, but it's most likely going to take a little longer...

I think bad is an understatement for Peterman.  He's been historically bad in 2 of his 3 starts, and regular bad the rest of the time.  He doesn't look like he belongs on an NFL roster at all.  Allen is at least at the level of a bad NFL QB, and there's real reasons to think/hope he'll get better, especially with more playing time.  And he did at least have the one good game so far, and has shown that he can win if the D gives him several takeaways.  That's miles ahead of Peterman, but miles behind what we hope he'll become.

Just wanted to pop in and say this is a reasonable, objective, fair analysis on Marino's part. He even acknowledged on Twitter that he was going to get ripped apart by sensitive Bills fans. He clearly states that he's not saying Allen won't improve, he's not calling him a bust, he's simply pointing out where he's currently lacking and what he needs to improve upon.

If Bills fans STILL get upset over such a reasonable and fair analysis or find reasons to pick it apart or claim Allen is being persecuted, they really, REALLY need to get thicker skin. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ok, and we knew he would take time to learn back BEFORE he was drafted. Why do the expectations change? Right now he is as advertised. Since we drafted him we have:

Given him 3rd and 2nd team reps mostly in TC and preseason

Not upgraded anything on offense to support a very inexperienced rookie

Given him a QB coach in Culley that before last year hadn't coached QBs since the 80s

Have him play behind a Castillo led oline.

Had we moved up for Darnold or taken Rosen instead I truly believe neither one would look any better in this offense. We Will have a much better feel for what we have in Allen about 8 games into next season. 

Let the kid get all the 1st team reps in the off season. Let him hold some private workouts with newly signed receivers and get timing and trust down. He may sink or he may swim, but calling him a failure this soon after knowing he would take time is just idiotic.

Culley as QB coach isn't as bad as the Eagles having Castillo as DC.  

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I tend to disagree with most fans not for just the sake of argument but I think Josh is progressing nicely, beating a stout Minnesota defense and another top notch defense in the Titans, he also was behind towards the end and hit on a few plays to get them into FG range. Signs are all pointing in the right direction that we found our QB of the present and future and I'm not really sure why others are doubting, just my opinions though.

Agreed.

I guess I’m just not a big stats guy.  I was pretty thrilled with how he played Sunday, and actually surprised to see so much criticism here afterwards.

Most of his mistakes are things that can be coached and fixed.  The good stuff - toughness, that TD run, the poise in that game winning drive - cannot be taught.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

This is a good video. I thought this was Allens worst game. 

Lets not forget the Titans are a very well run defense

Im not hitting the panic button. I think the second half of the season will say more about Allen and his ability to get acclimated with the position. 

With Woodyard healthy maybe, but he was out that game. Casey was the only notable run stuffer playing on Sunday. Not to mention a few outlets have the Titans run defense in the bottom half of the league: ESPN has them at 26 currently against the run, PFF has them at 13 fwiw

12 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

4 games started....known raw prospect.... Thats enough....bust

:sarcasm:

Bills fans seriously need to get thicker skin. It's embarrassing. 

No one said he's a bust. No one denied that he was already known to be raw.

It's a simple article. It states that Allen hasn't played particularly well so far and lists some areas in which he can improve. 

Toughen. The. !@#$. Up.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Right on cue!  This is objective and fair analysis.  Just because you never heard of Marino it doesn't mean his assessment isn't accurate. 

May be accurate, but he's still just another guy sitting in his basement.  :bag: