The Draft Network - Josh Allen's Struggles Go Beyond Lackluster Supporting Cast

HappyDays

Don't shoot the messenger.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/09/josh-allens-struggles-go-beyond-lackluster-supporting-cast/

In reviewing the All-22 game tape of Allen’s performance against Tennessee, it becomes clear that he needs a lot of work on basic concepts. I’m not breaking out his egregious interception against Green Bay to highlight his flaws, I am going to detail relatively simple reps where more should be expected from Allen.

While it’s crystal clear that Allen isn’t “ready” to be starting on Sundays, it’s the best thing for him to be playing. Being exposed to the game action and working through the tape with the Bills’ coaching staff is invaluable. He has to play and be coached through it. Mental reps from the sideline aren’t going to help Allen overcome his shortcomings when the ball is snapped.

Nothing mentioned in this analysis has a thing to do with Allen’s supporting cast — rather, much of it shows how the supporting cast is limited by Allen. Allen is the worst thing about Buffalo’s offense right now, and he has to get better. That said, he deserves time to develop — both things are true.

The highs and lows of Josh Allen won’t just be game to game; they’ll be snap to snap. He has a long way to go, but this is the guy McDermott and GM Brandon Beane believed in to fill Buffalo’s long-standing hole at quarterback. Now it’s up to McDermott and his staff to develop him.

• Like (+1) 9

(1) Allen does need to develop; but 

(2) the supporting cast sucks.  Allegedly #1 WR KB looks disinterested.  Zay Jones looks interested and is improving.   Clay had a decent game.   

Allen will improve as the season goes along.  I'd just tell Allen to trust the play call and put the ball where it is supposed to be.  If the WR does not get there, that's on the WR.  Eventually we will get a more competent supporting cast.   

It's also hard for a rookie to perform better when he hears footsteps because the OL is jelly.  

And I was a "don't-draft" Allen type prior to the season.  But some of the takes on him so far have been ridiculous.   National media at one point says we have the worst WR and O-line group, and then another outlet says that is not holding Allen back.   Simply laughable.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is a good video. I thought this was Allens worst game. 

Lets not forget the Titans are a very well run defense. 

Im not hitting the panic button. I think the second half of the season will say more about Allen and his ability to get acclimated with the position. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There is some concern because of how much development he needs in many critical areas that define long term QB success at the NFL level which is why the game plan was remedial.  

From another Allen thread:  The beat goes on. 

6 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Watching Allen try to play qb is brutal. Dont turn the ball over and force the Bills to go the entire field equals opponents win.

"Don't turn the ball over and force your opponent to go the entire field equals a win."

Isn't this true for any team?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, PeterDude said:

Going to have to get used watching that + Mahomes highlights.  Makes it even more brutal...

Maybe you could ask your parents to take the Mahomes posters down from your bedroom walls and limit your TV time, then you wouldn't have those constant reminders?

#responsibleparenting

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ok, and we knew he would take time to learn back BEFORE he was drafted. Why do the expectations change? Right now he is as advertised. Since we drafted him we have:

Given him 3rd and 2nd team reps mostly in TC and preseason

Not upgraded anything on offense to support a very inexperienced rookie

Given him a QB coach in Culley that before last year hadn't coached QBs since the 80s.

Have him play behind a Castillo led oline.

Had we moved up for Darnold or taken Rosen instead I truly believe neither one would look any better in this offense. We Will have a much better feel for what we have in Allen about 8 games into next season. 

Let the kid get all the 1st team reps in the off season. Let him hold some private workouts with newly signed receivers and get timing and trust down. He may sink or he may swim, but calling him a failure this soon after knowing he would take time is just idiotic.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 9

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ok, and we knew he would take time to learn back BEFORE he was drafted. Why do the expectations change? Right now he is as advertised. Since we drafted him we have:

Given him a QB coach in Culley that before last year hadn't coached QBs since the 80s.

Had we moved up for Darnold or taken Rosen instead I truly believe neither one would look any better in this offense. We Will have a much better feel for what we have in Allen about 8 games into next season. 

Let the kid get all the 1st team reps in the off season. Let him hold some private workouts with newly signed receivers and get timing and trust down. He may sink or he may swim, but calling him a failure this soon after knowing he would take time is just idiotic.

I do think it's okay for now, but for example, a guy like Rosen (who I did not and still do not like anywhere near as much as Allen) would not be displaying the footwork issues that Allen is.

The gamble with Allen is that with his work ethic and intelligence, he'd eventually iron out those issues and coupled with his physical tools, turn into an elite QB. To me, I'm down to make that gamble every time on a guy with those tools and personality.

But having said that, in terms of the development curve, he's most definitely behind the other rookies that are starting right now and might be behind Lamar too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 2

I truly enjoy the hyperbole that other QBs would look the same if not worse in our offense.

1) Baker Mayfield is playing on arguably the worst team in NFL history who have Landry and a bunch of young unproven talent.

2) Sam Darnold was traded up for, but the Jets still finished with the sixth overall pick. They are not a quality team and Sam is playing extremely well for them.

3) Josh Rosen is on a team many have felt were worse than the Bills, and yet is playing very good ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1