Congrats Drew Brees

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Never knew this.

Friggin  Wandstooge, hate that guy, one of the worst coaches we had.

18 minutes ago, bills7834 said:

I put him up there with Barry Sanders as one of my all time favorite non-Bills players. 

I was fortunate to meet him in 2008 when I was in Iraq. He was as down to earth as they come. We talked about 10 minutes or so. I told him that he was going to win the Superbowl in his career and he did 2 years later. 

I met the DE for the Giants the same day. The one with the difficult name. I told him I was so happy they beat the Patriots a few months earlier. He asked me if I was a Giants fan. I told him no I just hate the f-ing Patriots. He replied we all f-ing hate the Patriots. 

Sorry to kind of go off topic. Him reaching this milestone brought back this great memory. 

FB_IMG_1539050467933.jpg

awesome story, thanks for sharing.

My favorite non Bills player is road grader Mike Alstott.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I saw a thing the other day that if Andrew Luck has 10 straight 5,000 yard seasons, keep in mind there have been 9 such seasons in NFL history (5 of which belong to Brees), he still won’t catch him. Luck would be 39 at that point!! 

Also, Brees isn’t done yet. He’s going to get to 80,000+ yards. That’s the equivalent of 16 5,000 yard seasons. I don’t think we ever see anyone beat that mark.

If he stays healthy and plays until the age of 40-41 and maintain current productivity, Matthew Stafford would have an "outside" shot at beating Brees. Stafford is only 30 and has 36,000+. 

10 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If he stays healthy and plays until the age of 40-41 and maintain current productivity, Matthew Stafford would have an "outside" shot at beating Brees. Stafford is only 30 and has 36,000+. 

It depends where Brees finishes but I agree. If Brees plays another 2 years he’s looking at 80,000. Stafford would need to average 4,000 yards a year for the next 11 seasons. It amounts to 250 a game for 11 more years. That feels like a lot but he’s the one guy with a chance (outside of Brady). It’s the consistency and longevity that make it so tough. Someone mentioned Pete Rose earlier and that’s a great comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly--both of these guys will play possible 20 seasons.  No others will achieve this going forward.  

Nonsense.  If two current QBs are racking up huge numbers into their 40s, why is there “zero chance” that other guys could do the same in the future, especially given the rule changes to protect QBs and help the passing game?  Hell, there are a number of other guys playing right now who might come close—Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers.  No reason to think they are going away any time soon.  Great QBs can play for a loooong time and that’s likely to be even more true in the future.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Nonsense.  If two current QBs are racking up huge numbers into their 40s, why is there “zero chance” that other guys could do the same in the future, especially given the rule changes to protect QBs and help the passing game?  Hell, there are a number of other guys playing right now who might come close—Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers.  No reason to think they are going away any time soon.  Great QBs can play for a loooong time and that’s likely to be even more true in the future.

Rivers and Roethlisberger (and Eli) are 15 years in and are 20,000+ yards behind Brees.  Rodgers is 14 years in the league and is over 30,000 yards behind Bress (and he is slowly falling apart).  Brady won't catch him either.

Their only hope of even coming close is if Brees retires today.

No chance.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rivers and Roethlisberger (and Eli) are 15 years in and are 20,000+ yards behind Brees.  Rodgers is 14 years in the league and is over 30,000 yards behind Bress (and he is slowly falling apart).  Brady won't catch him either.

Their only hope of even coming close is if Brees retires today.

No chance.

Rogers sat the bench for three years.  Otherwise, he’d have a chance.   (Rodgers would also put up better numbers if he played in a dome in the NFC south, like Brees.)

The point is that QBs can play for a very long time in the modern era, and often continue to get better well into their 30s.  There’s no reason to believe that someone like Mahomes or Goff couldn’t duplicate what Brees has done, as incredible as his achievements might seem.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Rogers sat the bench for three years.  Otherwise, he’d have a chance.   (Rodgers would also put up better numbers if he played in a dome in the NFC south, like Brees.)

The point is that QBs can play for a very long time in the modern era, and often continue to get better well into their 30s.  There’s no reason to believe that someone like Mahomes or Goff couldn’t duplicate what Brees has done, as incredible as his achievements might seem.

You can make up all sorts of nonexistent Rodgers stats and wishful scenarios.  He will never reach Brees.  Brees has had 6 seasons over 4800 yards,  Rodgers has a single season over 4500.  They are miles apart.

No reason?  Brees and Brady are physical outliers with unnatural durability.  Look at the dropoff after the top 5 in NFL history.  They are the outliers.  You can't just point to 2 guys now (Mahomes has a handful of starts) and say: "yeah, no reason they can't do that too". 

Ok...

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It depends where Brees finishes but I agree. If Brees plays another 2 years he’s looking at 80,000. Stafford would need to average 4,000 yards a year for the next 11 seasons. It amounts to 250 a game for 11 more years. That feels like a lot but he’s the one guy with a chance (outside of Brady). It’s the consistency and longevity that make it so tough. Someone mentioned Pete Rose earlier and that’s a great comparison.

Assuming he stays together with his head coach, I think the QB that has the best shot at coming close is Jared Goff. Very young, so obviously a lot of projection, but assuming health and McVay are there he's the one I see challenging down the road.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

You can make up all sorts of nonexistent Rodgers stats and wishful scenarios.  He will never reach Brees.  Brees has had 6 seasons over 4800 yards,  Rodgers has a single season over 4500.  They are miles apart.

No reason?  Brees and Brady are physical outliers with unnatural durability.  Look at the dropoff after the top 5 in NFL history.  They are the outliers.  You can't just point to 2 guys now (Mahomes has a handful of starts) and say: "yeah, no reason they can't do that too". 

Ok...

Your original statement was that there is ZERO chance that anyone ever passes Brees on the all-time list.  That's just patently false.  The fact that right now there are two supposed "outliers" playing extremely well into their 40s suggests that it's hardly impossible, which means there is no reason other QBs who are just starting their careers now, like Mahomes and Goff, couldn't do what Brees has done.  Granted, the odds may be against it, but why couldn't someone like Goff, playing under a coach like McVay in a warm weather city like LA, do what Brees has done?  Same with Mahomes, playing on an Andy Reid-coached team with incredible weapons at his disposal.  Or even someone like Mayfield, who's already putting up big number in Cleveland?  Again, the odds are against any one of them doing it, but it's more than possible.  

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The most underrated player of his generation is now the all-time leading passer!! Brees will end up with numbers that will never be touched. I’m not much of a Saints fan but respect the hell out of him.

who is saying he wasn't all that?

he will never make my top 5, but that's just due to watching for 45 years and there's been 20 elites I have watched.

20 minutes ago, row_33 said:

who is saying he wasn't all that?

he will never make my top 5, but that's just due to watching for 45 years and there's been 20 elites I have watched.

You kind of said it right there.... When he retires he will have the single season completion percentage record, the all-time completion record, the all-time yardage record, be 1st or 2nd all-time in TDs and have AT LEAST 1 Super Bowl. He has more 5,000 yard seasons than everyone else combined. He will never make your top 5?

Edited by Kirby Jackson