Bojorquez should be cut

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

People will surprise you.

Sadly, I've been coming to this board for about 20 years now.

I don't ever remember this kinda stuff after a win.

Is it because of the new members from that other board that closed down?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I did my own analysis of each play by play listed in the box score (I was bored at work...)

Not sure how it compares to other punters. 

Well to be fair to Mr. Bojorquez, he should have more data to directly compare to others at the position. Essentially, what you did was nitpick a couple stats to help support your idea. 

You criticized a punt from the opponent's 47 downed at the 19 in your OP...was that actually one of his punts this year, or was it just a random example of the point you were making? 

There's a lot data and variables that can be dissected in this very instance, before truly gaining a real "answer" to your argument, and tbh I don't feel like taking the time to go through all 31 of his punts to see where the LOS was and where each of those punts were downed. But I did run numbers on PFR (pic below) and noticed that most of his punts have come from a poor position on the field, at least based on averages.

PicsArt_10-09-12.08.49.png

For all Bills punts this year, the average LOS was around the opponent's 34 yard line. To qualify as being inside the 20, 47 yards is the target punt average, roughly 2 yards more than Bojorquez's yards per punt avg of 45.2. For all punters, the difference between the most YPP and least YPP is exactly 10 yards (50.7-40.7; the bottom 2 in the league are both rookies, BTW). The Bills could do a lot worse here. 13 teams are doing worse here, and 23 are doing worse in inside 20 %. 

But even still, numbers don't lie, but they don't always tell the whole truth either...

To truly judge a punter, in a way that IMO is best, you would have to go through and document all punts from all punters that occur beyond their own 40 yard line (mid-field area), and document where exactly inside the 20 the ball is downed for each of those punts. There was a decent write up about 10 years ago that breaks it down: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/indexc344.html?p=709. Unless, of course, you have a kicker with an absolute booming leg that can get inside the 20 at a high percentage while kicking from "deep" in your own territory. Those guys don't come around very often (Roby?). 

I guess what I'm saying is, Bojorquez may not be great, but he's at least good in one measure so far. Many punters are much worse. It seems you may have put more emphasis on his 2 blunders (which didn't cost the Bills wins BTW), and those plays convinced you to look deeper for stats that would point to him as being expendable and easily replaced. But without context, and without comparable numbers, those numbers could be flawed. He's a rookie. Rookies make mistakes. The botched punt was under wet conditions. I'm not writing them off, but I'm also not willing to write him off just yet, especially when there are numbers out there that are somewhat more indicative of his play.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He's no better than schmidt. His punts lack distance and hang time. He leads the league in punts inside the 20 because he probably has the most opportunities.

Only second. Cleveland's punter Britton Colquitt has 39 to Corey Bojorquez 31 which is why I used percentage of punts rather then total. Colquitt, btw, put 43% of his punts inside the 20.  Seattle's Michael Dickson has 29 punts which 34% were placed inside the 20. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

How far through the 53 man roster have we gotten for cut threads? Can we make it through all 53 before the end of the season?

That would surely be an accomplishment.

The defense is pretty safe but I don't know who's even left on the offense.

56 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The defense is pretty safe but I don't know who's even left on the offense.

Come now. Plenty have called for the heads of Edmunds, Star, Murphy, and all CB's beside White and Johnson. Our defense would be pretty slim as well.

And we also wouldn't have any coaches or a GM ... or an owner.

8 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It bothered me when the announcers said Bojorquez has the most punts inside the 20 and is doing a great job yesterday. My personal opinion is that he has been pretty bad so far this season. 

Bojorquez is a little below average in terms of yards on punts (18th) and is perfectly average on net yards per punt (16th). After week 5 he has the 2nd most punts inside the 20.  

How could a punter with stats like that be bad? 

Simply put: hang-time, turnovers, and the Bills dreadful offense. 

He is dead last in hang time. That speaks for itself. A 48 yard punt with no hang time that gets returned 50 yards is not a good punt. We've given up 2 huge punt returns due to a lack of hang time that's resulted in FG's each time (Ravens and Titans game)

He's also directly responsible for 2 turnovers. The fumble against the Ravens in week 1 in the rain has been mostly forgotten (the game was laughable by that point anyway). The "fake" FG yesterday is the dumbest thing I've seen a punter do in quite some time. He pulls up to throw the ball and quickly realizes that he's the only guy on the Bills that thought the call was for a fake and puts the ball back down to try and have Hauschka kick it (who cannot kick at this point as his timing is screwed). How does Bojorquez realize it's not a fake in <1 second and react that quickly to put the ball back down? I think he just completely panicked on that play.

Lastly, the Bills dreadful offense. It's really easy to have a lot of punt yards when your offense is 31st in yards for (much longer field to work with). He has the 31 punt attempts (2nd most) in the league including 7 from the opponent's side of midfield. A punt from the opponents 47 yd line that goes out of bounds at the 19 is not a good punt, even it counts as an inside the 20. 

Found this little gem in a PFF article grading special team units through week 4: 

BUF-Bills-Header.png

SPECIAL TEAMS RANK: 18

Special teams was a big reason they played above their metrics last year, and their regression there hasn’t helped much this season.  New punter Corey Bojorquez has the lowest grade at his position group so far, accompanied by the lowest average hang time.

Correct. 100% right. I have not been impressed at all. 

I have no problem with him as he seems like an average punter and maybe a slight upgrade over Schmidt.  The reason I liked the move is the spin on the ball is different off left footed punters making it harder to catch.  Something tells me we have bigger fish to fry than a freaking punter.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Fer shizzle???

I for one refuse to fall for this troll job!!

What defines falling for a troll job? Reading the post then quoting or replying? Or is it taking the post seriously and entering a debate Hook line and sinker?

8 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Edited by The Process
Doubled for some reason

9 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I like that everyone has ignored my (and PFF's) analysis. People are blinded by the inside the 20 stat and ignoring the fact that our punter is the worst punter in the league and almost cost us a game. 

I would think that having the most punts downed inside the 20 could negatively affect hang time stat as those are generally shorter punts.  The inside the 20 stat is important.

I am not saying he is great, but you can see the leg strngth.  Some more experience and he could be pretty good.  Besides, of all the problems that this team has, punter is not in the top 10.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

The punter is a silly overreaction. Crossman? That’s another story!  How is he still there? Castillo is paid to take the heat off of Crossman? 

I'm with you.  Crossman is like a cockroach.  Just keeps on getting jobs even though he puts out below average quality.  

• Like (+1) 1