Bojorquez should be cut

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Punters and Kickers are some of the least valuable and easiest to replace positions in the NFL (unless you happen to have one of the handful of elite guys at those positions). There are only 32 spots in the NFL for each position, and there are a lot more than 32 guys that can do a serviceable job kicking the ball. 

Teams will routinely cut a punter/kicker after a few bad games (or even one). Bojorquez had a disaster of a game and very nearly cost us a win. There's no reason to keep him on the roster. Go pick up a Colton Schmidt or equivalent off the UFA scrapheap. 

HE'S A ROOKIE!

Guess which punter ranks 9th in inside the 20 percentage.

4 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

HE'S A ROOKIE!

Guess which punter ranks 9th in inside the 20 percentage.

How is that relevant? The Browns+Vikings cut their rookie kickers after 1 game. You don't need to be patient with a kicker/punter when you don't need to invest draft capital and there are so many serviceable ones not on rosters at any given time. 

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I would argue that having a superior punt coverage unit could compensate for having poor hang time.

Does the hang time account for the fact that 48% of Bojorquez's punts are inside the 20? Do you not think that when kicking to place the ball inside the 20 that hang time might be a bit lower than a punt from you own 20? Bojorquez is 9th in percentage of punts inside the 20 (he is less than 0.2% off the 6th best for percentage of punts inside the 20). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

How is that relevant? The Browns+Vikings cut their rookie kickers after 1 game. You don't need to be patient with a kicker/punter when you don't need to invest draft capital and there are so many serviceable ones not on rosters at any given time. 

Well in this particular case, maybe not a major factor (just tired of fans not giving the rookies a chance to get better). But if it's so easy to find someone better from the UFA scrap heap, why haven't the several teams with statistically worse punters (currently) made the move already?

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Did he meet her as she got off the school bus?

Massage Parlor........getting a Happy Ending......after yesterdays Happy Ending ;)

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Does the hang time account for the fact that 48% of Bojorquez's punts are inside the 20? Do you not think that when kicking to place the ball inside the 20 that hang time might be a bit lower than a punt from you own 20? Bojorquez is 9th in percentage of punts inside the 20 (he is less than 0.2% off the 6th best for percentage of punts inside the 20). 

The number of punts he has inside the 20 is largely due to the number of failed offensive drives the Bills have had. He has had 7 punts from the opponents side of the field, and one at exactly midfield. Every one of those SHOULD be inside the 20, or even inside the 10. Many NFL punters can do that. 

We should go grab one that doesn't turn the ball over every other game... 

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The number of punts he has inside the 20 is largely due to the number of failed offensive drives the Bills have had. He has had 7 punts from the opponents side of the field, and one at exactly midfield. Every one of those SHOULD be inside the 20, or even inside the 10. Many NFL punters can do that. 

We should go grab one that doesn't turn the ball over every other game... 

First of all, where are you getting your info?

Second, how does the number of punts in opponent's territory compare to other punters?

I think he should just get some training time with with a QB guru to work on his technique, should this ever come up again. Going for the triple axle in competition is only a problem if you’ve never done it before. I’d fire Crossman for not preparing his holder for this impromptu 4th down conversion attempt. Or....for his record of incompetence over recent years, but certainly one of the two. 

3 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

First of all, where are you getting your info?

Second, how does the number of punts in opponent's territory compare to other punters?

I did my own analysis of each play by play listed in the box score (I was bored at work...)

Not sure how it compares to other punters. 

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The number of punts he has inside the 20 is largely due to the number of failed offensive drives the Bills have had.

You failed to answer the questions and failed to address I was using percentage. 

1. Does the hang time account for the fact that 48% of Bojorquez's punts are inside the 20?

Note: It is the percentage of punts inside the 20. For example Kevin Huber (Cin) has 16 punts, 8 of which were inside the 20 or 50% of his punts were inside the 20.  

2. Do you not think that when kicking to place the ball inside the 20 that hang time might be a bit lower than a punt from you own 20?

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It bothered me when the announcers said Bojorquez has the most punts inside the 20 and is doing a great job yesterday. My personal opinion is that he has been pretty bad so far this season. 

Bojorquez is a little below average in terms of yards on punts (18th) and is perfectly average on net yards per punt (16th). After week 5 he has the 2nd most punts inside the 20.  

How could a punter with stats like that be bad? 

Simply put: hang-time, turnovers, and the Bills dreadful offense. 

He is dead last in hang time. That speaks for itself. A 48 yard punt with no hang time that gets returned 50 yards is not a good punt. We've given up 2 huge punt returns due to a lack of hang time that's resulted in FG's each time (Ravens and Titans game)

He's also directly responsible for 2 turnovers. The fumble against the Ravens in week 1 in the rain has been mostly forgotten (the game was laughable by that point anyway). The "fake" FG yesterday is the dumbest thing I've seen a punter do in quite some time. He pulls up to throw the ball and quickly realizes that he's the only guy on the Bills that thought the call was for a fake and puts the ball back down to try and have Hauschka kick it (who cannot kick at this point as his timing is screwed). How does Bojorquez realize it's not a fake in <1 second and react that quickly to put the ball back down? I think he just completely panicked on that play.

Lastly, the Bills dreadful offense. It's really easy to have a lot of punt yards when your offense is 31st in yards for (much longer field to work with). He has the 31 punt attempts (2nd most) in the league including 7 from the opponent's side of midfield. A punt from the opponents 47 yd line that goes out of bounds at the 19 is not a good punt, even it counts as an inside the 20. 

Found this little gem in a PFF article grading special team units through week 4: 

BUF-Bills-Header.png

SPECIAL TEAMS RANK: 18

Special teams was a big reason they played above their metrics last year, and their regression there hasn’t helped much this season.  New punter Corey Bojorquez has the lowest grade at his position group so far, accompanied by the lowest average hang time.

Well then good thing your just another nobody behind their computer and not in an NFL front office where your opinion means nothing

9 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I did my own analysis of each play by play listed in the box score (I was bored at work...)

Not sure how it compares to other punters. 

Well then, if you completed your own analysis, guess thats all thats needed

Beane better fire up the printer and get the pink slip ready for him..........

8 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

You failed to answer the questions and failed to address I was using percentage. 

1. Does the hang time account for the fact that 48% of Bojorquez's punts are inside the 20?

Note: It is the percentage of punts inside the 20. For example Kevin Huber (Cin) has 16 punts, 8 of which were inside the 20 or 50% of his punts were inside the 20.  

2. Do you not think that when kicking to place the ball inside the 20 that hang time might be a bit lower than a punt from you own 20?

1) No it does not

2) There could be a correlation there. Given the only data point I have is that Bojorquez is last in hang time and 9th in inside 20 % the anecdotal evidence would point to a weak correlation. 

41 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

1) No it does not

2) There could be a correlation there. Given the only data point I have is that Bojorquez is last in hang time and 9th in inside 20 % the anecdotal evidence would point to a weak correlation. 

1. So hang time doesn't account for the fact that a kicking to place the ball inside the 20 (which is usually a shorter punt) would have less hang time by necessity. Seems to me that punters that are at the top of list for placing the ball inside the 20 are unfairly penalized by the generic hang time stat.

2. "The anecdotal evidence would point to a weak correlation"? Based on one data point. I don't think so. Is that all you have, the hang time for Bojorquez? If that is it then the hang time is a big nothing burger.

He's no better than schmidt. His punts lack distance and hang time. He leads the league in punts inside the 20 because he probably has the most opportunities.

That said, I don't really care about cutting him. All of special team units outside of Hauschka have looked awful, ill prepared, poorly coached. On top of that, the team appears to be a dumpster fire outside of the d. And even 3 weeks ago I would have said the defense looks garbage, but they've looked really good the last 3 weeks.

The team is bad, who cares about a punter.