Bills vs. Titans All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

Any Given Sunday: Bills over Titans | Football Outsiders

by Rivers McCown

Josh Allen Progress Report: What Exactly Do The Bills Do Well?

Since we covered the Bills in Week 3, Josh Allen has put up two games with DYARs of -40 and -220, where he threw for a combined 223 yards and three picks. He has also taken a league-high 19 sacks. In some ways, Allen's season is the proverbial car wreck you can't help but gawk at. In a league where Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes are making everything look easy, Allen has Goff's numbers ... from Goff's rookie season with Jeff Fisher.

But outside of the triumphant return of Shady McCoy this week, other players simply aren't stepping up for Buffalo. This is a group effort.

Of Buffalo's receivers with 15 or more targets, only Zay Jones has positive DYAR. Kelvin Benjamin has been an unmitigated disaster, catching eight of 27 attempts for 103 yards, and has been the intended target on three interceptions. Andre Holmes has never been able to catch.

Allen owns the 19 sacks, but Buffalo through Week 4 owned a 34.0 percent pressure rate on the offensive line, 28th in the NFL. (After this game, that's dropped to 30.3 percent, now 24th, according to Sports Info Solutions). The offensive design for Allen to take shots downfield under Brian Daboll's sage tutelage has created (per NFL Next Gen Stats) an expected completion percentage of 61.3 percent, the third-worst in the NFL. We have 33 deep balls for Allen in our data -- he's completed seven of them, for 205 yards, with four interceptions and one DPI. That equates to a DYAR of -152 just on those snaps, which is nearly triple the second-worst deep ball DYAR this season (Nick Foles at -53) and makes him one of just three players with a negative DYAR on deep balls: Allen, Foles, and Tom Brady. (That's right! Tom Brady comparisons in Allen's first year!)

Listen, we hated this draft pick for the Bills with the fire of a million suns, especially once you factor in trading up for him, but this offense is doing him no favors at all. The Bills need only look at their recent coaching past for inspiration on how you manage a tall quarterback with a big arm and lousy accuracy: the job Doug Marrone and Nathaniel Hackett are doing with Blake Bortles in Jacksonville.

Allen has the size and speed to be a threat on running plays and do credible play-action. He's going to sail some easy throws, because he was always going to do that. Did you watch him in college?

AltruisticCooperativeBlesbok-size_restri

Joe B: Buffalo Bills All-22 Review - Week 5 vs. Tennessee Titans

billstitans_1539130885996_99933272_ver1.

WKBW) - In Week Four, the Buffalo Bills couldn't get much of anything going on offense, and a slow start on defense doomed them the rest of the way. One week later, the Bills' defense led the way, and the offense did just enough to defeat the Tennessee Titans 13-12

Up next, the Bills go back on the road to face the Houston Texans -- a team coming off of a big Week Five overtime victory on Sunday night to bring their record to 2-3. Before that happens, first is an in-depth look at the individual performances from the Week Five win over the Titans, which now gives the Bills a 2-3 record in 2018 as well.

Each week, WKBW.com will review the film, and bring you how each player graded out in the previous week, with the help of the Game Pass app on NFL.com. You can see a full explanation of how the grades get calculated at the bottom of the article.

Before we get to the individual grades, first some takeaways from the game to help fill in some of the gaps between the grades that you'll see:

1) Josh Allen shows flashes, but again missed the mark
2) Don't write off Zay Jones yet, plus the Bills WRs blocked their butts off
3) The defensive tackles dominated the Titans
4) Harrison Phillips might be good enough to start right now
5) The left side of the offensive line is settling in

Without further ado, the individual grades:

On 10/8/2018 at 5:13 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

He still keeps his base too wide when he has to re-set.  Gotta stop that Josh!

I'm not sure what you mean by base - as I understand it, Palmer actually wanted him to widen his base out, but says he overstrides with the front foot and that causes all sorts of other issues:

“What I determined about Josh was, if you looked at his tape in college, his feet would be close together — closer than you want — and he was bouncing up on his toes. When you’re bouncing up on your toes and your feet are eight to 10 inches apart, when you go to throw, you’re going to go back down to put all your cleats in the ground, and then you’re in a position where you’re going to overstride. You’re going to step with your left foot farther than you need to,” Palmer said. 

“That may sound like this little, tiny, cute detail, but it’s actually super, super relevant because when you overstride, you can’t do other things you need to do. It’s going to make you lean, whether that’s forward, backwards. If you lean to the side, that’s going to drop your elbow down (and cause you to) throw sidearm. So because his feet were jacked, he kind of had a different drill every time. It’s hard to be consistent,” Palmer said.

I can't pick up the "overstride".  For a big guy, it just looks like a step to me.  But in that throw where Holmes is credited as a target, Benjamin kind of makes a half-assed try for it, and it's really close to neither, you can see Allen sidearming the ball and his hips and follow through aren't right.  I think Allen was trying to lead Holmes who was no where near open, and I think Holmes stopped where Allen wasn't expecting him to - but I also think it was a crap throw and the ball went no where near where Allen intended.

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1) Josh Allen shows flashes, but again missed the mark

2) Don't write off Zay Jones yet, plus the Bills WRs blocked their butts off
3) The defensive tackles dominated the Titans
4) Harrison Phillips might be good enough to start right now
5) The left side of the offensive line is settling in

He is definitely right that the WR blocked their butts off, and so did the TE and DiMarco. 

The block-of-the-day with the biggest impact might belong to...Kelvin Benjamin!

"Pwned baby Pwned!" goes to Croom x2

Jones looked respectable as a WR.  Nothing earth changing, but he ran good routes, blocked capably, and made adjustments to haul in some balls for Josh.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:48 PM, vincec said:

Allen is expecting Holmes to continue across the field so he leads him and Holmes stops instead. It's plain as day. I'm not sure why Holmes would stop that route since the area he was running into was wide open. This may look like an inaccurate throw but it was a case of the QB and WR not being on the same page.

I think Holmes does stop on his route while Allen expects him to keep going but, I thought it was also a bad throw by Allen that went higher and wider than he wanted it to go.

If you look at his feet and motion during the throw they look off and doesn't it look as though he sidearms it?

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This was such a joke.  

It was a makeup call for Josh Allen flopping for a 15 yard penalty and Vrabel going crazy over it.  

Only problem is..  Under the letter of the law, it was a penalty even if he flopped. Also, Allen’s flop call got us 15 yards and a 1st and 10.  

That bogus unnecessary roughness got us a 2nd and 22, effectively ending our drive. 

Edited by SCBills

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure what you mean by base - as I understand it, Palmer actually wanted him to widen his base out, but says he overstrides with the front foot and that causes all sorts of other issues:

“What I determined about Josh was, if you looked at his tape in college, his feet would be close together — closer than you want — and he was bouncing up on his toes. When you’re bouncing up on your toes and your feet are eight to 10 inches apart, when you go to throw, you’re going to go back down to put all your cleats in the ground, and then you’re in a position where you’re going to overstride. You’re going to step with your left foot farther than you need to,” Palmer said. 

“That may sound like this little, tiny, cute detail, but it’s actually super, super relevant because when you overstride, you can’t do other things you need to do. It’s going to make you lean, whether that’s forward, backwards. If you lean to the side, that’s going to drop your elbow down (and cause you to) throw sidearm. So because his feet were jacked, he kind of had a different drill every time. It’s hard to be consistent,” Palmer said.

I can't pick up the "overstride".  For a big guy, it just looks like a step to me.  But in that throw where Holmes is credited as a target, Benjamin kind of makes a half-assed try for it, and it's really close to neither, you can see Allen sidearming the ball and his hips and follow through aren't right.  I think Allen was trying to lead Holmes who was no where near open, and I think Holmes stopped where Allen wasn't expecting him to - but I also think it was a crap throw and the ball went no where near where Allen intended.

Look at the clip in the OP, it's not just his hips - his footwork is off.  He slides right to avoid the rush, which is fine, but instead of re-setting properly he stutter-steps and then throws kind of across his body from a wide and kind of upright stride.  That CAN'T be how Palmer and his current coaches want him to throw.  I'm talking about his base when he delivers the ball - I think Palmer was talking about his feet being too close to each other pre-throw, leading him to open his stride too much when he readies to deliver the ball.  I don't see that going on in the clip, I agree - but he never properly re-sets and throws from an upright splay.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Bills Finding Their Way With Quarterback Josh Allen

Erik Turner - Cover 1

First-year offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has already felt the growing pains that come with starting young quarterbacks. Day one starter Nathan Peterman lasted one half before the Bills’ 7th overall draft pick, Josh Allen, took the reigns. That kind of change at the premier position is not an easy undertaking.

Daboll needed to tweak the offense, an offense that he had been installing since being hired this offseason. Aside from the obvious inexperience that Peterman and Allen share, there aren’t many traits physically that the two have in common. So throughout the first quarter of the season, fans have seen the offensive staff slowly ‘learn on the fly’ how to best put their ‘green’ quarterback in the best position to win.

After doing some self-scouting, McDermott concluded that in order to turn the offense around they needed to get back to establishing the line of scrimmage.

“So we’ve got to establish the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball . . . We have to win at the line of scrimmage.”

When the team took the field against the Titans, that goal was evident. But how could Daboll and the staff curate a gameplan that not only committed to playing ball on the defense’s side of the line of scrimmage but that also incorporate passing concepts that didn’t put too much on the young quarterback? Let’s take a look at some of the concepts and techniques Daboll utilized to get the ground game going, along with incorporating passing concepts that help Allen see the field better.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

starts about the one hour nine minute mark..... simms crucifies our wr's and talks of allen reverting back to some bad habits and being hard to evaluate based on the s**t show around him. I cant disagree on either front.

Edited by Stank_Nasty