NFL Broadcast Rules & Regulations

BobbyC81

Anyone else experience the dumb NFL broadcast rule yesterday in the middle of the Browns/Ravens OT?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, my issue with it is probably because I have the NFL Ticket.  So, the Bills game yesterday finished in just over 2.5 hours so CBS switched over to the Browns/Ravens game with about 4.5 mins left in regulation.  Since the game went to OT, it wasn't finished at 1:30 PM PT (4:30 ET).  So, they go back to the studio and James Brown says "due to NFL Rules & Regulations, we can't show you anymore of this game".   Then, the studio crew is watching a TV off set and updating the viewers play by play and then they'd show the replay about 10 seconds later.  That was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw.

My understanding of the rule was, if your local team was in a late game, which was the case here I guess with the Oakland Raiders, and there was a doubleheader on the network, if the early game went over, they had to switch to the late game.  Well, I was watching the Bills thru NFL Ticket and there was no other game following on the Direct-TV channel it was shown on so what's the deal?  Many people watch games thru NFL Ticket and each game has its own channel so why couldn't they continue to show the Browns game?

You might say "Why didn't I just switch to the channel the Browns were on?".  The answer to that is since I got my first DVR, I have enjoyed so much being able to FFWD thru commercials that I never watch anything live.  For the Bills game, I didn't start watching until a half hour after it began.  After that, with food and bathroom breaks and doing things around the house, when I finished watching the Bills game, it was about 1.5 hours after it ended so the Browns game was over also.  The CBS studio crew though continued to show highlights and jabber on for another half hour.

7 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Anyone else experience the dumb NFL broadcast rule yesterday in the middle of the Browns/Ravens OT?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, my issue with it is probably because I have the NFL Ticket.  So, the Bills game yesterday finished in just over 2.5 hours so CBS switched over to the Browns/Ravens game with about 4.5 mins left in regulation.  Since the game went to OT, it wasn't finished at 1:30 PM PT (4:30 ET).  So, they go back to the studio and James Brown says "due to NFL Rules & Regulations, we can't show you anymore of this game".   Then, the studio crew is watching a TV off set and updating the viewers play by play and then they'd show the replay about 10 seconds later.  That was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw.

My understanding of the rule was, if your local team was in a late game, which was the case here I guess with the Oakland Raiders, and there was a doubleheader on the network, if the early game went over, they had to switch to the late game.  Well, I was watching the Bills thru NFL Ticket and there was no other game following on the Direct-TV channel it was shown on so what's the deal?  Many people watch games thru NFL Ticket and each game has its own channel so why couldn't they continue to show the Browns game?

You might say "Why didn't I just switch to the channel the Browns were on?".  The answer to that is since I got my first DVR, I have enjoyed so much being able to FFWD thru commercials that I never watch anything live.  For the Bills game, I didn't start watching until a half hour after it began.  After that, with food and bathroom breaks and doing things around the house, when I finished watching the Bills game, it was about 1.5 hours after it ended so the Browns game was over also.  The CBS studio crew though continued to show highlights and jabber on for another half hour.

I had the same thing happen but was watching live.  I was cursing but found it on another channel.

Bonus coverage must end at 425 because of DH on other network.  In 2nd game on DH  network the merge audience into one pool as a lead in of prime time fir everyone except west coast.  If it’s a 405  game and their are two you don’t get bonus coverage.

if they switched viewers in a blowout to another game they can stay till it ends.

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I'm going to assume its because that feed you were watching was the feed that everyone in Western, NY watches. It doesn't matter who your cable provider is, everyone is watching the same feed. 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Was it worse than NBC switching from a good Raiders game to 'Heidi'?

I was watching that game & when NBC switched to Heidi, I turned the game on, on the radio.  Most of the nation didn't have that option but I grew up in the suburbs of NYC. 

• Like (+1) 2