Is Allen's Ceiling Cam Newton Lite?

4 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I was among the crowd unhappy with the Allen selection.  As Vince Lombardi is often misquoted "accuracy isn't everything, it's the only thing".  But after watching some of his college tape and especially the pre-season games, I came around. 

Based on the first five games of the season, it's WAY too early to make any generalizations as to where this ends up.  But. . . you've got a kid with linebacker size, really strong arm, very good runner and serious accuracy issues.  Remind you of anyone?  Cam Newton, perhaps?  If Allen's ceiling is in the Cam Newton zip code, is that a bad thing?  After all, Newton's got an MVP trophy and has taken a team to the Super Bowl.  Are the similarities to Cam what attracted McBeane to Allen?  Better line, much better receivers, a year to learn how to diagnose defenses and make quicker decisions and, most important, just like in Carolina, an offensive scheme designed to take advantage of his strengths and I think we will be ok. 

I’m still praying to God he’s not Blake Bortles 2.0

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Yeah, a person can dream....enjoy the song/video and see if you can find all the big name music stars who were in this video.  

There's a few, but you likely need to be at least 50 to recognize them.

I’m 31... I can recognize Roy Orbison. I thought I saw Elvis Costello playing guitar. The others I can’t place, so I’d say you’re right about needing to be over 50. Great song though, one of the few things I have in common with my father is his musical taste. Hard to come by music from the heart like this nowadays.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Favre is actually a really good comp for his ceiling. Chances he hit Favre level? Well, we can argue, but I assume everyone will admit that it's low. I'm not really seeing Steve Young; maybe it's because of the lefty thing causing a mental block, but they don't seem like the same type of QB. Even in his difficult early years you could see the uncanny ability to throw on the run, and you could also see that he never had the cannon arm that Allen has. Just kind of a different QB profile.

Favre is definitely the more apt of the two... With Young I compare more to the intellect, running ability, and heart. With that 38 wonderlic it will be interesting to see how cerebral Josh gets.

However, I think the closest to Young in similarity is Aaron Rodgers.

6 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I was among the crowd unhappy with the Allen selection.  As Vince Lombardi is often misquoted "accuracy isn't everything, it's the only thing".  But after watching some of his college tape and especially the pre-season games, I came around. 

Based on the first five games of the season, it's WAY too early to make any generalizations as to where this ends up.  But. . . you've got a kid with linebacker size, really strong arm, very good runner and serious accuracy issues.  Remind you of anyone?  Cam Newton, perhaps?  If Allen's ceiling is in the Cam Newton zip code, is that a bad thing?  After all, Newton's got an MVP trophy and has taken a team to the Super Bowl.  Are the similarities to Cam what attracted McBeane to Allen?  Better line, much better receivers, a year to learn how to diagnose defenses and make quicker decisions and, most important, just like in Carolina, an offensive scheme designed to take advantage of his strengths and I think we will be ok. 

An article was posted on what Beane looked for in a QB awhile back. I found it intriguing because it was well prior to the hype involved in this years draft but it ended up being spot on to the player selected. Beane talked a lot about physical traits like size, arm strength. It sounded very Cam like in what he wanted. I don't know where Allen's ceiling is. I didn't like the pick, but even with Allen's struggles I'm much happier we have him vs Rosen. Out of the two we didn't get, they probably look the best, but not exactly lights out. Allen has the most raw talent and we likely don't end this year being able to declare any of them franchise guys. So........

As long as he doesn't pout when he loses & doesn't gloat when he wins I'm good with Allen having that type of career like that it would be the best we've had in a long while, oh & please don't let Allen develop a stupid a** superman celebration ? !!!!

Being good & proving it on the field is one thing but being humble while you do it is a lost art in the new NFL !!