Is Allen's Ceiling Cam Newton Lite?

I was among the crowd unhappy with the Allen selection.  As Vince Lombardi is often misquoted "accuracy isn't everything, it's the only thing".  But after watching some of his college tape and especially the pre-season games, I came around. 

Based on the first five games of the season, it's WAY too early to make any generalizations as to where this ends up.  But. . . you've got a kid with linebacker size, really strong arm, very good runner and serious accuracy issues.  Remind you of anyone?  Cam Newton, perhaps?  If Allen's ceiling is in the Cam Newton zip code, is that a bad thing?  After all, Newton's got an MVP trophy and has taken a team to the Super Bowl.  Are the similarities to Cam what attracted McBeane to Allen?  Better line, much better receivers, a year to learn how to diagnose defenses and make quicker decisions and, most important, just like in Carolina, an offensive scheme designed to take advantage of his strengths and I think we will be ok. 

5 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Big Ben isn’t as athletic and has way better pocket awareness and movement 

He's in year 15.  His several years they were a running team with Ben being serviceable.  He's also almost always been around some incredible wide receivers and tight ends.  

• Like (+1) 1

The main thing to me is that Allen seems not to be letting his rookie mistakes define himself.  He's not an ineffective QB who will never get better.  He's a rookie QB from a second-rate college conference learning the game behind a poor O line with terrible WRs, and the Bills are 2-2 in games he's started.  He isn't cocky or depressed, he's an even-keeled guy the Bills can build around.  Let's go from there and see how things develop.

• Like (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-30-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-howard-and-jeremy

First Question out of the Gate: Why Josh Allen

Beane's Answer:

1. Big, Strong, Athletic

2. Earned everything

3. Not recruited

4. Never complained

5. No NFL caliber players at Wyoming

6. When hurt his team immediately lost two games

7. He was the Wyoming team

8. Can run the ball like the Panthers Cam Newton

9. Pro Style offense and can make reads

10. Weather a consideration in January football

I think Beane looked for the next Cam Newton. It's what he knows. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/07/buffalo_bills_gm_brandon_beane_describes_what_he_looks_for_in_franchise_quarterb.html

"It's a quarterback league. I mean, who are we kidding?" Beane said. "If you look at the playoffs teams, the consistent guys that at least qualify for the playoffs or are close every year, most of them have QBs, most of them have a legit quarterback. If you want to use the word franchise, whatever word you want to use, so I understand that. Cam in Carolina was, is, a franchise quarterback. If you're a GM, you have to find a franchise quarterback. It obviously helps keep you on a consistent playing field if you have one, so I get that." 

• Like (+1) 1

He's just a boy!  

Cripes.  Let the be for two years.  Let's talk about what we do know - the rest of the offense and who might we keep.  Going to be a very young and fresh offense next season I suspect.