Bills Lowest in Points Scored

MJS

Through week 5, the Bills have scored the least amount of points in the NFL at 63, or 12.6 points per game. This includes teams that have already had a bye week and also the teams who have yet to play tonight on Monday night football.

Also, the Bills have -55 net points (63 points for, minus 118 points against). This is also the worst in the league. Bills are middle of the pack in points against (but this also includes teams who have had a bye week and who have yet to play tonight).

The defense appears to be doing its job of eliminating points, especially the past couple of games. What can the offense do to generate more points? It is clear that winning cannot be sustained with the number of points this team is generating per game.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

And they also have more wins than Atlanta and the same record as Philadelphia. What’s your point 

Two of the teams that have historically stopped us from winning the Superbowl.  Good point!

We also have more wins than Southern Methodist University!

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And they also have more wins than Atlanta and the same record as Philadelphia. What’s your point 

Absolutely. The Bills are not in a terrible position record wise. If they want to have SUSTAINED success, however, they will need to find a way to generate more points. The defense is not going to be able to hold teams under 13 points for many games.

I have not liked what I have seen from Daboll in the passing game. The Bills run a lot of curls, hitches, and go routes. I'd like to see more screens, slants, and crossing patterns.

Hopefully the Bills can continue to improve and Allen can continue to progress.

Edited by MJS

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Through week 5, the Bills have scored the least amount of points in the NFL at 63, or 12.6 points per game. This includes teams that have already had a bye week and also the teams who have yet to play tonight on Monday night football.

Also, the Bills have -55 net points (63 points for, minus 118 points against). This is also the worst in the league. Bills are middle of the pack in points against (but this also includes teams who have had a bye week and who have yet to play tonight).

The defense appears to be doing its job of eliminating points, especially the past couple of games. What can the offense do to generate more points? It is clear that winning cannot be sustained with the number of points this team is generating per game.

There are many ways to look at the season so far.  The point differential is the result of our three lopsided losses. Most of those points were scored before our defense got on track.  Is you look at our last three games, our point differential. Is 0 in that time frame we have scored and gives up 40 points.

Also, if we win the turnover battle,  we have a great chance of winning.  We just won a close game with a last minute scoring drive.  We are 2-1 over the last three games.  We are trending in the right direction .

Of course our offense is struggling.   We have a raw rookie qb and an o line that lost three talented players (two of them unexpectedly).  The coaching staff is doing the best they can in a difficult situation.   They are doing what they need to do to improve our offense.  The o line is starting to develop cohesiveness,   they are bringing in a veteran qb to help mentor our rookie qb, and they are simplifying the offense to help that rookie qb to succeed. 

For now, running the ball is what we do best.  What else can they do for now. 

It is more fun to be a glass half full person than to just worry, even after a win, because we are winning differently than most other teams in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I keep checking the messageboard hoping to see a “Breaking - Bills Sign/Trade for WR”, but I guess I like the let down. 

I love this staff, and I don’t need a mega-trade, but there’s street FA’s that would help Josh more than Andre Holmes. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The team is clearly in rebuild mode. I think that we need to evaluate that when looking at rankings. I'm more focused on whether we are improving or not.

We've won 2 out of our last 3. Beaten 2 playoff teams from last year, one on the road (in a very hostile environment) and we have a 4th quarter comeback. Before McD got here how many times can we say that especially with a rookie qb and against a top 10 defense.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

There are many ways to look at the season so far.  The point differential is the result of our three lopsided losses. Most of those points were scored before our defense got on track.  Is you look at our last three games, our point differential. Is 0 in that time frame we have scored and gives up 40 points.

Also, if we win the turnover battle,  we have a great chance of winning.  We just won a close game with a last minute scoring drive.  We are 2-1 over the last three games.  We are trending in the right direction .

Of course our offense is struggling.   We have a raw rookie qb and an o line that lost three talented players (two of them unexpectedly).  The coaching staff is doing the best they can in a difficult situation.   They are doing what they need to do to improve our offense.  The o line is starting to develop cohesiveness,   they are bringing in a veteran qb to help mentor our rookie qb, and they are simplifying the offense to help that rookie qb to succeed. 

For now, running the ball is what we do best.  What else can they do for now. 

It is more fun to be a glass half full person than to just worry, even after a win, because we are winning differently than most other teams in the league.

Great points. Definitely the first two games of the season have made the point differential look a lot worse, but the offeslnse has been very bad in 4 out of 5 games.

6 minutes ago, no name said:

t

h

e

y

W

O

N

t

h

e

G

A

M

E

!

!

This thread isn't about the game. It's about the season so far.

BTW, I was thrilled with the win. I am not a negative poster or one of the ones calling for firings.

• Haha (+1) 1

Look at the sequence of plays when we're on the Titans 15 before the botched FG. 

Josh Allen 1 yard run

Shady 2 yard run

Overthrow Zay in the end zone

They get down to the Titans 24 later in the game. 

Ivory 3 yards

Croom 2 yard catch

Allen sack -3 yards. 

We got a total of 3 points for both of those drives. Good teams bury those and come away with 10-14. We don't have enough WR talent to do any real damage in the red zone. 

• Like (+1) 1